6-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

My experience at AGS looked pretty good from the beginning, but as soon as I entered the academic year I realized that their whole idea of a "clique-free" school was definitely not fitting. There is definitely a level of favoritism between the teachers and the students, and not to mention the gossip level between the teachers. The administration is constantly worried about the student body gossiping, yet it seems that they do the exact same thing! Additionally, the faculty here is extremely biased. They enforce "tattle-tale" teaching, which might sound insulting of the way I'm putting it, but all in all it's the truth. They exaggerate situations that are outside of school. Sometimes it feels like they care more about the student body and the social situation and not the academics at all. To elaborate, the only good departments at the school were the language and English departments. Their focus on STEM is not fitting, and I say this because I attended a public middle school in 6th and 7th grade, and I had learned the information that I knew from 6th and 7th grade in 9th grade! Additionally, with history being my favorite subject, I was so excited to have a different perspective entering a private school that requires a global travel trip with the school in order to graduate, but they were strongly lacking. It felt that the teachers-not just in the history department-were using the Haiku website as a way to cheat out of teaching. Instead of teaching us themselves, we would have to watch videos online. If you are considering sending your intelligent and gifted child to this school, just remember that me-and many other girls I have talked to-have noticed the sub par teaching. I found that the teaching I got at public school was much more well-run then the teaching I got here.

Develops character: Strongly agree

We follow the trust agreement and they do not tolerate people breaking it. I know I can trust my sisters at Ags and they can trust me

I am a student here. Before attending Ags I lacked confidence, but Ags has helped me regain my confidence and leadership as well as a bright attitude and a good outlook on the world around me

My daughter attended AGS from 6th to 12th grade. The lovely young lady she is today is due to her AGS education and conscious parenting. Middle school at AGS gives the girls the basis for an incredible high school experience at AGS. AGS taught her organize her time and her work. As parents, we are very thankful for the investment the teachers made in our daughter. The faculty at AGS has relationships with the students. They love them, push them, lift them up with they fall and push them again. She has had no trouble adjusting to college life. The concepts and topics brought up at freshman seminars were all familiar to her from daily living at AGS and AGS’s Education & Development for Leadership & Service program. She has traveled to three continents and worked at two internships through AGS. They broaden her horizons and expanded her mind in and out of the classroom. This education will benefit her for the rest of her life.

This is a great place for me as a student to be at. They challenge me to be my best and work hard and they make me think for myself. They terminate bullying as soon as it starts and it is a safe environment that I feel comfortable in.

From someone who transferred out after freshman year: I came to AGS in 6th grade. My middle school experience was absolutely amazing; I expected to stay until I graduated. Middle school is an awkward time for everyone, but forming close bonds with the other girls in my grade and my teachers made my experience perfect (shoutout to Ms. Coleman, aka the BEST TEACHER EVER. Seriously.) . However, transitioning into high school, I discovered that high school at AGS really isn't that different from middle school at AGS. For me, that became a problem. High school is SUPPOSED to be a different experience from middle school. You're a different person, older, discovering new interests, and applying for colleges. By the time freshman year was over I felt confined by my small class size (30 girls in my grade!) and the lack of options for the arts. I was discovering that I had a huge passion for theatre and art, but I was unable to pursue it because of the weak arts program at AGS. Ms. U is great, but she's just one person! A strong arts program consists of many different people, all passionate about what they do! So, I transferred to a different Atlanta school for sophomore year, and it's the best decision I've ever made! I'm in AP art classes and active in my drama class and music program. Also, the social events are great! Having boys isn't a distraction at all; they actually add to a classroom and to your social life. At AGS, you don't know what you're missing. This isn't to say my decision is right for everyone; if you are academically focused on math and science, AGS is perfect for you. It just wasn't right for me!

The in-cass technology and great student/teacher relationships makes AGS a very special place. It's a great place to go to school.

Both of my daughters attend AGS and we could not be happier with their experience there. AGS is a challenging, supportive environment and my girls absolutely love it. The girls at AGS are confident and secure in who they are because the faculty truly listens and respects the girls, and the girls feel that! The global travel opportunities and internship programs offer such wonderful real-world experiences to the girls. So glad we found AGS!!!

We moved our daughter to AGS in 8th grade. I am a big believer in girl's education and the solid research behind it and though it would be a good fit for her. It's been even better than we imagined and she has absolutely transformed at AGS. In a few short months, she is more confident, more vocal, more outspoken -- it's been everything we had hoped for and more. AGS is a secret and hidden gem. Open your eyes to what a single sex education can do for your daughter ....

We moved our high school girl to AGS after she began complaining that being interested in math and science was "social suicide". She loves the collaborative learning environment at AGS; she has been encouraged to take Physics and Computer Science with seniors. When I asked her the difference between AGS and the neighboring private school where she was before, her answer was short and sweet: "They believe in me." Don't take my word for it. Read the research about single sex education and visit the school yourself.

Last modified Atlanta Girls School is a Private school that serves grades 6-12