6-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

Handles bullying effectively: Agree

Yes, bully is not ignored and addressed promptly. Some feel the punishment for bully's could be a little stronger.

Effective school leaders: Agree

There has been some turn over in the past but the current leadership is strong.

Develops character: Strongly agree

EDLS program (Education for the Development of Leadership and Service) is an amazing program that includes a wide variety of topics that build on each other through the years. This program really does build leaders that aren't afraid to advocate for themselves but also develops compassion and empathy.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Teachers form close bonds with students particularly their Advisor that usual stays with them for multiple years. Teachers believe in students and push them to be their best selves.

Amount of homework: Agree

There is a good deal of homework particularly as you get into more advanced classes but the load can be managed well even with extracurricular activities.

I have two daughters that both have attended AGS. One attended from 7th through 12th grade and is now at a top private university. The second is a junior. Having been part of the AGS community for 7 years, I can say this is a unique and special place where a partnership of families and teachers create a "village" for your daughter. Girls find their own voices and their own strength and AGS allows them to shine in a supportive environment. My daughter was incredibly well prepared for college academically and as a person. Programs like required internships and global travel prepare them to be global citizens. Numerous clubs and other activities including the arts and sports allow them to develop leadership skills. The teaching environment is truly about learning and not teaching to a test. Both of my daughters have several teachers who are their advocates, life-coaches, and mentors. The college counseling process is excellent and AGS has an outstanding reputation with colleges, which is why as many as 100 colleges visit AGS each year despite is relatively small class size (25 to 35). I can't say enough about the special experience my girls have had at AGS.

I have been a student since, the 6th grade. I have continued to see the school improve each year. It is a small school with an amazing community. The teachers and students incourage each other to grow. I have seen in myself and others a positive change. The enviroment and community incourages gaining self confidence. Also, peers push each other to work harder and become stronger learners. We focuse on finding our personal learning styles and creating bonds between students and staff. I incourage everyone to tour and learn more about the school.

My experience at AGS looked pretty good from the beginning, but as soon as I entered the academic year I realized that their whole idea of a "clique-free" school was definitely not fitting. There is definitely a level of favoritism between the teachers and the students, and not to mention the gossip level between the teachers. The administration is constantly worried about the student body gossiping, yet it seems that they do the exact same thing! Additionally, the faculty here is extremely biased. They enforce "tattle-tale" teaching, which might sound insulting of the way I'm putting it, but all in all it's the truth. They exaggerate situations that are outside of school. Sometimes it feels like they care more about the student body and the social situation and not the academics at all. To elaborate, the only good departments at the school were the language and English departments. Their focus on STEM is not fitting, and I say this because I attended a public middle school in 6th and 7th grade, and I had learned the information that I knew from 6th and 7th grade in 9th grade! Additionally, with history being my favorite subject, I was so excited to have a different perspective entering a private school that requires a global travel trip with the school in order to graduate, but they were strongly lacking. It felt that the teachers-not just in the history department-were using the Haiku website as a way to cheat out of teaching. Instead of teaching us themselves, we would have to watch videos online. If you are considering sending your intelligent and gifted child to this school, just remember that me-and many other girls I have talked to-have noticed the sub par teaching. I found that the teaching I got at public school was much more well-run then the teaching I got here.

Develops character: Strongly agree

We follow the trust agreement and they do not tolerate people breaking it. I know I can trust my sisters at Ags and they can trust me

I am a student here. Before attending Ags I lacked confidence, but Ags has helped me regain my confidence and leadership as well as a bright attitude and a good outlook on the world around me

Last modified Atlanta Girls School is a Private school that serves grades 6-12