Garden Hills Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted August 10, 2014

My child is starting his 4th grade year and has been here since kindergarten. I am so in love with this amazing place. The students- diverse, smart, full of hugs and love their teachers. The faculty and staff- hard working, giving, caring and proud. From ESOL to Challenge- everyone gives 110%. The principal and AP- a team that supports their staff, does not micromanage, takes education seriously, and constantly strives to improve any and all areas. The parents- a tight knit community who push their school to be the best it can be for their children. Our test scores have improved greatly and that is due to everyone mentioned here. GHES is strong, proud, and you are LUCKY if you get to attend here.

Posted April 17, 2014

My son is in the 4th grade at Garden Hills Elementary School. We have been so pleased with his experience right from the start in Kindergarten. The school is led by a very inspirational and visionary principal coupled by dedicated, caring, hardworking teachers. We feel very fortunate to have such a jewel in our neighborhood.

Posted September 12, 2013

Garden hills is a great school. Teachers work really hard!! Principle is very nice. My son loves it.

Posted August 21, 2012

The school is amazing. The teachers are beyond hands on and the students exceed their goals every year. I would recommend this school because as a parent I see the amazing improvements in my daughter and the schools diversity is balanced.

Posted June 4, 2012

The school welcomed my son with open arms and the principal is A++++. She really cares about the kids and is involved with the PTA to make sure our school is the best for our children. THe only thing lacking is more parent involvement! the PTA works hard and they are a few in number considering the amount of students the school has. I encourage everyone to get involved even if it is once a month or every two months- they need all the help they can get.

Posted October 18, 2010

My daughter is a 3rd generation GHES student! There must be a reason for that!

Posted December 22, 2009

My daughter has been at Garden Hills her entire public school career, and she has flourished. The environment that the faculty, staff and parents engender has shown me that this is the best place for my daughter to be to prepare her for the higher grades later on, and for even later on in her life.

Posted September 7, 2008

If there is one school anybody should attend, it is garden hills. Diverse, academic, friendly. I spent my best years there, but then made the mistake of going to Atlanta International to learn a language since garden hill's Spanish program is garbage. Make sure your child stays at garden hills.
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 14, 2008

Garden Hills is a hidden treasure! Diverse, yes! Academically challenging, yes! Fosters a love of learning and respect for others, yes! We are in our 4th year at GHES and can say that there has never been one day that our kids weren't truly excited to go to school! By having our kids attend GHES, we are growing strong, open-minded future leaders, growing a strong neighborhood school, and building a strong community! Be a part of it!

Posted August 12, 2008

I give the school the highest rating in all categories although the parent envolvement could be higher. The principal sets the highest expectations for both teacher and students. The students love to learn and the IB program supports and expands learning to new levels. Our teachers are 100% committed and bond with our children making life-long relationships. My only wish is that other neighborhood children would join this incredible school!

Posted August 12, 2008

All three of my children attend(ed) Garden Hills. My oldest is now at Sutton. Our school is a nurturing environment where my children have grown into natural leaders. Academics are excellent and my children love learning. That about says it all for me and my decision to make GHES my neighborhood school of choice.

Posted August 12, 2008

My daughter has been at Garden Hills for five years, and my oldest who now attends North Atlanta was there for two years. Our family has remained in the district in order to keep our child at Garden Hills because they do embrace learning and make it fun for the students. Simply by being at the school for so long my daughter has adopted Spanish as a second language and communicates with her non-english speaking peers in order to help them beat the class learning curve due to those barriers. They give the kids a great sense of leadership and responsiblity, which is what I love most. My daughter will be more than prepared when it's time to head over to SUTTON! (go cougars) :-)

Posted August 11, 2008

We've been at Garden Hills for eight years and absolutely love it. My kids have gotten a great academic foundation and are well rounded socially.

Posted March 11, 2008

My son is in the gifted challenge program at Gardens Hill. Initially, I thought there might be a slight communication issue due to the large ratio of Hispanic vs. English speaking parents. Not at all! The teachers are very kind and loving as well as the parents. The curriculum and parent involvement is great. My son really enjoys the diversity and would not dream of leaving Garden Hills until he completes the 5th grade. Kudos to the superb job the new principle is doing. We love you!

Posted August 24, 2006

I've been at Garden Hills for six years and absolutely love it. The teachers are kind and love working here. Last year we got our International Baccalaureate certification and are very proud of that. We've just finished a renovation of all buildings including the historic main building, as well as two new buildings (cafeteria, classrooms and gym). Among other great projects, the PTA bought the art teacher a kiln last year. We bring in the Georgia Shakespeare Festival every year to direct a play. There are a lot of children who are 'speakers of other languages' and so our test scores overall do not compare well with other schools. But I'm glad my children are a part of this international community.

Posted August 23, 2006

We have one 3rd grader and one in Kindergarten in Garden Hills. Our kids are flourishing, happy and never complain about school. My 3rd grader is now in challenge program. Diversity is AOK. It is a warm and nourishing environment. Great for developing brains and hearts!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

126 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

129 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

126 students were tested at this school in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

102 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

104 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

102 students were tested at this school in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

88 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

• Tommy Usher
Fax number
  • (404) 842-3050

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now