Bad
Good

Deerwood Academy School 3

Posted February 09, 2016
I enrolled my son in KG last year 2015 and it was a horrible first experience from the Administrators front office stand point. Registration was a nightmare and Ms. Morrison was so rude to me. The sad thing is my son was so excited about starting big boy school and she ruined that experience for him with her attitude. His KG lead teacher was good but had to take medical leave half way through and the assistant teacher didn't seem to thrilled about teaching the kids. I wanted to wait before giving the school a review because I believe in second chances. 2nd year now and the front office attitude is still the same. Granted I haven't seen Morrison in a while but the other front office ladies are pretty much clones of her. Honestly I hate having to go to the school for anything other than to pick my son up. You get a different answer about everything, depending on who's available and what mode they're in that day. No luck leaving messages with the principle, as she's never returned any of my calls. As a parent you want to be more involved but who wants to be around staff members who makes you feel uncomfortable. Dads tend to do a little better with the front office ladies as they're are greeted with smiles, typical, lol. I sometimes send my husband in the office so I don't have to deal with them. On a brighter note, the teachers so far are more welcoming and happy to have parent participation. If you're a busier parent like me and volunteer time is short, they're happy to accept much needed class supplies and other donation in exchange for your time. I'm thankful this year that my son teacher is strong in academics and humble in heart. His confidence has truly grown with her, she makes him feel comfortable when answering questions and completing class assignments. I can truly see growth in him and as a mother that warms my heart. I would rate the Teachers of Deerwood and their Academics a 4* Star because they push the kids but also analyze them and focus and trouble areas. I would rate the Office Administration a 2* Star because they're unprofessional, rude and changes up the rules depending on their mood that day.

Posted January 17, 2013
I would have to say that I am quite impressed with Deerwood Academt. I grew up a gifted and talented student in some of the best schools in NY (which are also ranked some of the best in the country.) I have to say that I was nervous raising a child in Atlanta because of all of the horrid reviews I had gotten about the school systems here. I was zoned for a different school, but found Deerwood online (because it had higher ratings.) Having my son transferred here was the best decision I could possibly have made. My son (even coming from a private Pre-K with a High Reach program and the ability to read already) is being challenged academically, is enamoured with his teacher, understands and can complete rigoroush homework assignments on his own, and LOVES to learn. I am a very involved parent, and I love what I have seen for myself. I have a great relationship with the entire school staff including his teacher (Dawn Wilson) and principal (Noletha High.) Very approachable and well qualified staff, tons of amazing extra curricular activities, and great functions that help tie the school communitey together. I have nothing negative to say. Bravo, Deerwood.

Posted September 27, 2012
Very pleased with Deerwood! My son attends kindergarten in Ms Edwards class. I receive parent communication daily, he is being challenged, he enjoys the school, and I see where the principal Ms. High is reaching out to the community for support. I have neices that attend another Atlanta Public School in Five Points and they always say that my son's school is more rigourous than their school. And I must say they attend an excellent school too (Mary Lin). I listen to children and research things on my own. And up until this point my son loves his school and I am quite pleased with the rapid progression I have seen in his academics within the last couple of months. GO DEERWOOD!

Posted September 27, 2012
I like my school because my teacher helps me and she does not yell at me and the class. She is nice and I like my specials class.

Posted July 20, 2012
Deerwood is simply not the same. The magic is missing! Dr. Smith got on our nerves with all those rules and expectations but she ran an excellent school. This place is simply not the same. We need a Local School Council that can put someone with the same energy and beliefs in place. Too many good teachers left this year. I wonder why!

Posted June 19, 2012
As a parent of 3 going here for 4 years, I must agree that under the leadership of Lisa Smith, Principal, this was a premier school with quality programs and a sound instructional focus. This school was on its way to becoming one of the top schools in Atlanta. The new Deerwood does not compare! We (parents) did not think that the change in leadership would matter too much because everything ran like clockwork. We were wrong. I am amazed by the drastic changes that occurred in one year. Everything this year has been mediocre and lackluster. The teachers walked around disgruntled and intimidated by the new principal. Several complained about being written up for every least little thing. The instructional program was watered down, parents were uninvolved, and the student behavior was terrible. We did not even have a Local School Council to consult with this school year. My complaints fell on deaf ears. What used to be a school that people were breaking the doors down to get into because of its quality programs, has become just another watered down school in southwest atlanta (mediocre). I proudly withdrew my children at the end of the school year. We are going charter!

Posted March 23, 2012
I am a parent of two boys that are 9 years old and will be 8 years old in july..I am looking to move into a great area with my kids.I am looking for a great school for my boys to attend to get a great excellent education, As I read the reviews on this school, It seems like I am going to have a problems, which I don't want.My kids are already going through enough with drama at that school now and Im tired of it.All I want for them right now is a very good education with no bullying, and no problems from teachers, students, or principal..If I should have a problem..I would need to know that they are in safe, secure, hands of the school if I should have any problems..So I honestly need to know if Deerwood is the school for my kids to attend being though the reviews is stating that this school has changed from great to issues..So I honestly need a Honest parent to let me know if this is the school for my sons to attend, knowing they are going through such a hard time in the school they are in now? Can I get a honest yes or no no for this school.

Deerwood Academy School 5

Posted September 14, 2011
I am the parent of a student attending Deerwood Academy. I am myself an educator and find the instructional program in place to be challenging. My son is a third grader and has received a top notch education at Deerwood since Kindergarten. Contrary to the previous post, I am more than pleased with my son's educational experience and the dedication of the teachers. I greatly appreciate the new approach to leadership and will continue to support endeavors and new initiatives designed to boost the whole school experience.

Posted September 11, 2011
This is my child's fourth year at Deerwood Academy and I am appalled by how quickly the instructional program has gone down hill with the change in leadership. Every program or event has been disorganized. Teachers are allowed to be disrespectful toward parents and mean to children. For the last few years, I have listened to teachers complaining about how much they had to do under the demands of Dr. Lisa Smith. Like a fool, I bought into siding with them and often requested for her to give some relief with the expectations. I now see that it was necessary. This once great school is falling apart. The new superintendent needs to get on his knees and beg Dr. Smith to come back before it is too late. I am one of many discouraged parents. The first Coffee and Conversation was a joke. This is what happens when there is no parent or community input when hiring a new principal. So sad!

Deerwood Academy School

Posted October 02, 2010
Great delivery of education and caring!!

Deerwood Academy School
3070 Fairburn Rd Sw, Atlanta, GA  30331
Last modified Deerwood Academy School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Deerwood Academy School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top