Atlanta, GA
Students enrolled: 1,148

Posted February 20, 2014
This school is okay. It isn't great, and it's far from excellent. Although, my child had a bunch of problems with a 6th grade teacher named Ms. Alexander.. She often yells, curses, threatens, and makes careless mistakes grading and losing my child's work. I've been up there 5 times to correct my daughter's grade. This is the most irresponsible, ghetto teacher I have ever met. If your child gets in her class, I wish you good luck!!

Sandtown Middle School 2

Posted February 09, 2014
Do not send your child to this school. Practically no discipline of the students, as they pretty much run the school without efficient guidance. I feel sorry for the teachers that actually care and try to teach. New administration, same results. No exciting activities, lack of consistent communication, poor participation in extracurricular. Don't think the handful of board/pta members really are concerned about the overall quality of the school, just their clique of children. Needs to find ways to encourage students to be more active and positive about learning. Terrible. I am very disappointed in this school. Especially coming from the neighborhood it is in. Best in South Fulton??? That is a strong doubt. Parents pull together and get this school together.

Posted October 04, 2013
I am a current TAG 8th grader here at Sandtown. I have to say so far this is the best school year. Sandtown is much more disciplined now that they have the new behavior system. The interm principle Ms. miller is excellent. She is hands on and is very involved. The day to day structure at sandtown middle school. The education is great. The teachers really care about the students and want them to strive. Also the new Westlake and Sandtown combination is amazing. Some 8th graders were selected to take both math and language arts 9th grade honors and the program is very beneficial. I feel like sandtown is making its best efforts for students to do their best. Overall great school.

Posted August 23, 2013
My daughter is a 7th Grader at Sandtown Middle School. This is her first year, but the last two weeks have been great. Interim Principal Ms. Miller is very involved in the students as well as the daily process. My daughter has expressed to me that she really likes her teachers and classes. I am really impressed with the structure. I look forward to working with Sandtown Middle School Administrators year 2013-2014. Active Parent

Sandtown Middle School 5

Posted June 23, 2013
The school is execellent, they have made a major improvement then the 2011-2012. I think that the 2013-2014 year will be even better. They raised there discipline, encouragement, and need of support. I now love the school. They make the school seem equal a's far a's grade issue. My daughter is going to the 7th grade and I think her experience was very pleasing for me. I think the kids have great time if they are advanced. I am very proud of they school. No Complaints!

Posted June 14, 2013
I would have to disagree to the rest of the responses. I am currently a rising TAG 8th grader at Sandtown Middle School. The last 2 years have been great from my perspective. My teachers do put forth an effort to teach us. If a teacher was not complying to the standard students would complain and the school actually did something about it! I can not speak for the On-Level and Advanced portion of Sandtown, from which I have no hands on experience. However, if a student is well behaved they will get all the knowledge and experience Sandtown has to offer.

Posted February 19, 2013
As a parent, I am not satisfied with Sandtown. I feel that the school operates in mediocrity. If your student is self-motivated, then you will be ok. But if your student needs a little push or encouragement, don't look for it. They seem only focused on the "smart" kid and cater to those parents who have the ability to volunteer on a daily basis. Grades are not entered in a timely fashion, which makes it hard to minitor students' progress. The principal lacks adequate leadership skills. She seems distant and out if touch. The assistant principal for 7th grade is rude and unproffesional. The school resource officer is bullyish and unprofessional. The teachers are quick to call if a student talks in class, but won't call to inform you that your student is failing. I am beyond frustrated. I am considering working a second job to pay for private school. Sandtown is in desperate need of a leadership overhaul.

Sandtown Middle School 3

Posted May 16, 2012
I've been here at Sandtown for 2 years now and I'm never amazed at the ones we call "administrators" who don't know how to run this school. For the parents who don't come let me clue you in. Get up here and see what's really going on and ask yourself WHY is the parent liaison, Jocelyn Mitchell, who is very, very rude and keeps a lot of friction among us (staff). Who also tells our Principal Geathers what to do. Wake up parents and help us get Mitchell away from Sandtown.

Sandtown Middle School 3

Posted March 02, 2012
My child is in the 6th grade at SMS, all TAG classes, and I am pleased with the rigor of the TAG program and the teachers of those classes. However, the overall school environment feels prison-like and not welcoming. This is most likely because of the large contingency of misbehaving, disrespectful students that populate the school. The environment and rules of a school usually are dictated by the type of students at the school. The principal does not demonstrate leadership in the school. She behaves as a side line spectator. She is reactive, rather than creative and proactive. I do like the 6th grade assistant principal, Dr. Reliford. She has more of a principal "air" than does the actual principal. Overall, on a scale of 1-5, with 1 being not at all satisfied and 5 being exceptionally satisfied, I would give the school a 3. The school is mediocre, but the best middle school we have in South Fulton-which is pretty sad. I would not hesitate to suggest that the schools in North Fulton are better in terms of student behavior, extracurricular activities, parent participation, and a more positive enviroment, that is not as rigid.

Posted February 19, 2012
Never have I entered a school and wanted to run out the door. This school lacks Efficient Leadership! The Principal is passive aggressive in her nature and interaction with others. The 6th grade Asst Principal obviously lacks experience and does not know how to interact with people. It's hard to believe anything that either of them say as they are completely dishonest individuals. It is so sad the way some of the teachers and administrators yell, scream and put down the students, even out in the hallways. It is a disgrace that the administrators cater to a handful of parents and show disregard for other parents and the staff. This school has a horrible environment. I feel so bad for the students and few teachers that are there to really help the children.

Sandtown Middle School
5400 Campbellton Rd SW, Atlanta, GA  30331
Last modified Sandtown Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sandtown Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top