No rating

Discovery Montessori Academy

Private | PK-1

Living in Atlanta

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $70,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $770.

Posted September 4, 2014

My two sons attend DMA and it has become a beloved pillar of our life over the last 3 years. We chose the school because of the location, affordable tuition, and convenient hours. We fell in love with it because of the warm, knowledgeable teachers and staff, peaceful atmosphere, and inspiring approach to Montessori. Bonus for yummy, child-made vegetarian lunches and a diverse mix of students. Any negative issues I have experienced seem typical of a small, independent school that is in the early stages of growth and have been quickly remedied by a responsive and thoughtful staff. My boys are delighted to go to school each day. I am thankful for DMA is part of our family.

Posted August 20, 2014

Great school with caring teachers and a fabulous parent community. Our children are growing by leaps and bounds and have teachers with a special gift for bringing out the best in children.

Posted August 19, 2014

Our daughter started DMA when she was three years of age. She is in the elementary program now and loves it, as it is like a second home. I truly can not say enough about this wonderful school and all of the caring teachers and staff. They have helped our daughter to become the caring and confident little girl that she is today. She is way ahead of many children her age in academics. We love the fact that the children help prepare healthy lunches on a daily basis. Lunches are all vegetarian or they have an option of bringing their own nutritious lunch from home. This school is all about community and such a pleasure to be a part of. It is the best choice in education in the Tri-Citi area. I stand by this school 100% and feel safe about sending my children here. I know that they will be cared for and taught to the fullest every day. Another great bonus about this school is that they actually have outdoor time on a daily basis unlike many schools today. Again, great school that we are all very lucky to have here in East Point!! :-)

Posted August 6, 2014

I cannot say enough good things about this gem in East Point. It hurts my heart that a parent would leave such negative feedback about the teachers and administration that work daily to provide the best care and education for my children. Please do not be deterred by one parent's experience; sometimes the parent is the actual problem. This is what I have found at DMA: an authentic AMI-accredited Montessori program, caring and well-trained teachers, a strong director with a gentle heart, enthusiastic learners on each age level, clean classrooms, and a community of families that want to live life together and give support. I have found all of this for me and my two children. My older child is thriving in all academic pursuits- my child is performing way above grade level in every subject and has a personalized education plan (as does every child) so that excitement and progress doesn't wane. My younger child is much younger and has received the most nurturing care you can imagine- all from a trained Montessori professional that understands infant development like no one else in East Point. This school is an absolute gem and an answer to prayer for our family. Thank you DMA!

Posted June 29, 2014

My daughter attended this school for two years. She will not be returning next year. As others have noted, the administration of the school leaves much to be desired. The director of the school is very unprofessional, disorganized, and generally hard to deal with. The owner of the school is apathetic about the school's problems to say the least. DMA lost our daughter's report cards and attendance records for the prior year. After initially lying about sending her records to another school, we discovered that the school had not retained any records for our daughter for the prior year. Instead, they scrambled to track down her report card from an ex-employee of the school--all while telling us the records had been sent. They never were able to track down her attendance records. This is unacceptable performance for a school that purports to have an elementary age program. The owner of the school's only reaction to her director demonstrably lying to a student's parents was to advise us that we would not be welcome at the school next year. If I were a prospective parent, I'd avoid this school at all costs.

Posted June 9, 2014

After many years of attendance I must report that we can no longer stand by this school and have made the decision to leave. We are among a group of many parents leaving this year who felt they had no choice after repeated incidents of negligence and professional failure by administration. Over the past few years since a new Director was hired we have watched as the most valuable teachers and office staff became unhappy with administration problems, subsequently moving on to other Montessori schools in the Atlanta area. The lack of communication, high staff turnover rate, rudeness and outright lies from administration, and numerous dismissals of parent concerns are among the reasons we sought a new school for our children along with many other parents who have been in attendance of the school for years. We hope to see the school improve and thrive as they are needed in the area, but are doubtful of that possibility without an overhaul of administration.

Posted October 21, 2013

This is my first experience with montessori. My son took a little time to adjust to the new environment. I like his teachers. I will be attending the observation soon and hopefully see that I have made a great decision. I will say that Emilie (School Director) is awesome!!!

Posted May 29, 2013

My daughter began at DMA right before her 3rd birthday. She has been there for 3 years and we love the school, her guides, as well as the entire staff and parent community. Everyone feels like family. I know that sounds cliche but it's true. There are ample opportunities for parental involvement. We are so glad to have found Discovery Montessori Academy.

Posted December 19, 2012

My two children have been attending DMA for over two and a half years now, starting in their infant room and moving up to Primary. We are very happy with the classrooms and teachers, and also with the menu. It is so much more nutritious than any other school we've seen. They serve very healthy vegetarian food and my kids love the school lunch. This is also the most diverse school of all the ones we looked at, with many different nationalities attending. I feel like the teachers really love my children and are nurturing, and I love the Montessori curriculum. We plan to continue attending Discovery into the elementary program and are thrilled to have found such a great school in the area.

Posted April 14, 2012

My son attended Discovery for over a year and has been away from the school now for a year. I believe he is just now recovering from the experience. The school forced him to potty train before he was ready, against the advice of his pediatrician. As a result he is just now potty trained shortly before his 4th birthday. Parents were precluded from being involved in the educational process. I feel strongly, and have witnessed through my other children, that parental involvement helps to inspire a love of education in children. At the younger levels, there is significant structure and individuality and play are stifled. And, for a working parent, the program is just not a fit. If you arrive at one minute past 9 am your child is not allowed in for the day and you must find other arrangements for your child. My child is now at Bright Horizons and with a lot of love and care, he now looks forward to school and is potty trained and his love for education is growing by the day.

Posted August 22, 2010

My daughter has attended Discovery for two years, starting in the Toddler program. She has grown so much and continues to develop more everyday. The school has truly supported her social, emotional and educational development. She is becoming a more independent learner, while still keeping her unique personality.

Posted March 3, 2010

My son has been attending Discovery since he was 4. He had to stop for a year because to relocate out of state. Once he came back, he had fellen behind the other students. I am amaze how the teachers put extra effort towards developing him to where he needed to be. I strongly recommend this school to everyone. Also, the PTA is awesome. They truely support the school.

Posted July 20, 2009

My daughter has been attending Discovery since she was 14 months old. She's 3 now and the experience has been amazing. She is developing into an independent, self sufficient, self motivated learner. She's extremely articulate, insightful, friendly and smart. I'd love to take the credit, but truth is, so much of it belongs to Discovery. The class leads (teachers) are committed and truly believe in the montessori process. It's amazing what a small person can do when just given the opportunity. I'm a pretty difficult parent to whom education is most important, but I have to say that this school truly lives up to its creed to help to develop the whole person. I'm so glad that Discovery is there to help as my daughter begins what I hope will be a life long love of learning

Apply now