PK-9|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Supports LD students: Agree

The addition of a learning coordinator at the school has been valuable, and student progress is evident. The HELP program, a hybrid of Orton Gillingham and Montessori approaches, is in its first year and shows great promise. Both programs show the schools continued commitment to meet the needs of ALL children.

Effective school leaders: Agree

Leadership continues to self-reflect, which is evident in the school's efforts in their AdvancED re-accreditation. You can't ask for more than that.

Amount of homework: Agree

Homework is not assigned until Junior High, yet as my child has moved through Elementary, there are more and more projects he has the desire to complete at home. It's homework, we just don't call it that. There is 0 fighting in my home regarding the issue of completion of homework, and we have more time to focus on the things he will need to be successful-time management, preparing meals, household chores.

I am so pleased with the quality of the education my child is receiving, and the emphasis on the whole child. The academics are of the highest caliber, and there is so much more. I feel confident my child will be able to navigate the world socially and emotionally because of the time his guide puts in to keep me informed. Because of the low ratios in the Upper Elementary and Junior High programs, my child will have that one-on-one attention I desire, and yet be in a class with enough other children to experience "standard" social dynamics, without the influences I'm dreading for his high school years. I am so happy this is the path I have chosen for my son. I question a lot of what I do as a parent. Not this decision.

Both of my children have been at AMIS for 2-3 years in the primary and elementary programs. In the last few years, this school has transformed into am amazing place. Parents are very involved and teachers are very dedicated. Pros: This is not a place that is good because it selects the right students. This is a place where any child can come and become self-actualized as a learner and a thinking. The environment is diverse, the families here are wonderful, and the children grow feeling respect for their classmates while honoring similarities and differences. Just the other day my daughter told me "this is not a school were we have bullying. I don't know why . . .we just don't." Any individual concerns we have had have been addressed immediately and thoughtfully. On the whole, we are so grateful to be a part of a community that supports our children academically, socially, and emotionally.

The staff, the environments, and the leadership is amazing at AMIS. Our daughter started in the Nido environment in March and we couldn't have picked a better school. We are impressed every day at the school's communication, leadership, and strive to make our children better human beings. And I believe that AMIS has improved our daughter's self-confidence, self-awareness and overall disposition.

My daughter attended AMIS from age 4 (primary) through the 2nd year of Junior High (8th grade equivalent). As a parent, I especially appreciated the school positive and nurturing environment that promotes a love of learning, strong global values about nature and the environment, and an opportunity to learn about a broad range of world cultures and events. The teachers she had were, overall, excellent and very dedicated, eager to talk with parents. The school encouraged parents to participate in classrooms and in school events, and I felt very engaged. My daughter came away from AMIS with a great love of learning and an organized approach to studying that serves her well in her high school studies, where she has been academically strong and enjoying the broader social scene. At AMIS I sometimes worried about limited homework in Upper El, but watching her homework requirements now I am so glad she had time in those earlier years to really explore her interests. This is a wonderful school.

Management of the school changed over the summer of 2014 when new formal management took over from the founder of the school who had run it for its first ten years. Some of the older reviews may no longer be applicable. The new director has been wonderful about seeking the input of parents re management of the school and ideas for the school. Our two children have been at AMIS for several years starting in primary and moving up to elementary. We chose AMIS from other Montessori schools in the area because of its diverse community and its welcoming environment. It doesn't have the feel of a stuffy private school. AMIS families are mostly academics and CDC researchers who value education. AMIS's teachers have really worked hard to be very flexible working with our children's needs and our children have really blossomed both academically and socially as a result. I can't say enough about how wonderful the teachers at AMIS are. Overall, a wonderful warm school.

AMIS is one of the best kept secrets in Montessori education in the Atlanta-area. The school is very Montessori and very inclusive with its diverse(race, gender, thought) student body and teachers. Our child started at eighteen months in the Toddler class (Young Children Community) and within a month, she learned toileting, putting on a jacket, pant, and shoes, and setting up a dining table. Not to mention her increase in vocabulary. She says a new word to us everyday and is now able to string together 2 - 3 words. We couldn't be happier. We also love the welcoming environment and the opportunities for parents to receive feedback from the teachers and to learn about how to implement Montessori at home. We are especially fond of the curriculum nights - an avenue for parents to learn more about a Montessori topic. The school is more transparent about school affairs than the previous school our child attended. The head of school regularly holds teas and coffee sessions with parents to address parental concerns and to exchange thoughts and ideas on how to improve the community. Overall, we're glad and happy about our choice of AMIS for our child's Montessori education.

This school is a real money maker for the owners. The student to teacher ratio is over 2X, the cost is 4X and the teachers have no qualifications. It is a glorified orphanage. Parents were really mislead to think students can work at their own pace. Our child has been held back. The program is archaic. Parent involvement is discouraged. Big mistake!!!

Last modified Atlanta Montessori International School is a Private school that serves grades PK-9