Posted September 14, 2014
I think the school gets better every year, especially with regards to what happens after high school. The teachers are caring but not pushovers, and the administration goes the extra mile to take care of both parents and students. The school was in the top 50 private special needs schools in the country (according to a special education magazine). It seems the most suited to kids with Asperger's, but kids with other special needs do great here. If it's the right fit for your kid, you'll know. It feels like family to us now.

Posted August 03, 2014
We are starting our 5th year at CA. We still think it is the best option for our child - he is strong academically, but would struggle socially in a typical school setting and even many of the 'special needs schools' because they are more focused on learning disabilities rather than social deficits. We have met with the school to discuss college goals. Since the school is still relatively young there have only been 10-15 graduates and most have gone on to college either full-time or part-time. I like that there are teachers and staff there that have known my child since he started and will likely be there to see him graduate.

Cumberland Academy of Georgia 3

Posted July 29, 2014
I rate this school average at best. There is a very high teacher turnover rate, and most of the good ones leave after a year or two. The director is passionate, but she has no background in education and she tends to run the school like a dictatorship. Just look at the graduates and you will see that most of them have not moved on to better things or higher education. Also, the behavior plans at this school are non-existent and there are even teachers that yell at the students. There are much better schools for special kids in the Atlanta area, and many of the raving reviews here appear to be manufactured by the administrator.

Posted February 26, 2014
My son started at Cumberland Academy last year and it has completely transformed his and our family's life. His ability is finally being allowed to shine because he is making all A's because the school accommodates for his needs. I can not say enough fabulous things about this school. They really understand and know how to teach students with any type of special need and ensure their success. This school goes beyond teaching just academics, they really develop character in the students and teach them how to become responsible, caring adults. Cumberland has been one of the greatest blessings in our life!

Posted November 23, 2013
I worked at Cumberland for a few years and loved it. The director is wonderful and really cares about the students, teachers and staff. She is always willing to go the extra mile!

Posted July 09, 2013
We have been so pleased with Cumberland. They are flexible and go out of their way to help students succeed both academically and socially. They are currently working on renovating the heating and air conditioning for the building, which was not possible before due to their lease. Now they own the building.

Posted June 24, 2013
Our son is a graduate of Cumberland Academy of Ga. He attended the school for 3 years. The teachers and staff accommodated his special needs and provided him with an environment in which he could grow both academically and socially. We were amazed at the extent to which the teachers gave of their time, talents, and resources to work with the students. Each year that our son attended we watched as more educational, athletic, and extra curricular opportunities were provided for the students. The environment and support that our son received during his time at Cumberland played a major role in his success. Through the school's partnership with local community businesses our son was offered and accepted a job after graduation. We are very glad we made the choice to send our son to Cumberland Academy of GA.

Posted June 20, 2013
Cumberland Academy of Georgia has been a God Send to my child and our family. He struggled in the public system for many years with teachers and administrators who did not understand nor care to try and understand his special needs. The staff at Cumberland have gone out of their way to accomodate his needs and make him feel like a valuable human being. In the short time that he has been there, I have seen a marked improvement in his self esteem, social skills and academic performance. My only regret is that I wish I had discovered and enrolled my son in this school sooner.

Cumberland Academy of Georgia 4

Posted June 19, 2013
As a parent who sends his child to Cumberland Academy, I am somewhat amazed by several of the "parent" reviews indicating that this school has substandard academics and/or teachers. My child has been in the private special ed system for many years and I can tell you that THIS school can tailor a program as hard or as easy for any of their students. Might I suggest to the audience that some of these parents have unrealistic expectations for their child and / or the school. I also thought the comment, park your child here until you figure out what to do with him/her was horrific. Many parents are unrealistic or in denial about their children (i.e. they expect a LD school to fix their child and that he/she will learn/act like a mainstream student because of their attendance here). That is not reality. We have special kids, and thankfully there are schools like Cumberland that can tailor a multitude of programs depending upon the student's needs. I have never seen a more hard working group of administrators or teachers. Prospects should ask for parent referrals and one can quickly see if his/her child is a fit for this incredible school. It is not that hard.

Posted June 19, 2013
The staff and teachers at Cumberland Academy of GA work hard in order to differentiate curriculum and understand how each student learns best. Every student at Cumberland processes information differently, therefore, we pride ourselves on creating and implementing social and academic strategies on a student by student basis. Our social pragmatic program, which caters toward kids on the spectrum, is what sets us apart from other schools in the Atlanta area. The teachers at Cumberland genuinely care for each and every student and their success.

Cumberland Academy of Georgia
650 Mount Vernon Hwy NE, Atlanta, GA  30328
Last modified Cumberland Academy of Georgia is a Private school that serves grades 4-12
Cumberland Academy of Georgia Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top