Atlanta Heights Charter School

Charter | K-8 | 540 students

Our school is designed to eliminate the achievement gap.

Living in Atlanta

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $117,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $760.

Posted June 27, 2014

My sister goes to this school. She love it and They love her. When I go over there they seem very, very friendly and professional.

Posted June 23, 2014

Is rate it with a no star rating but it won't allow it. This charter school did nothing more than handicap my sons learning. It was one of the worse decisions in his education I've made. I transferred him to public school which I should have let him attend from the beginning. Torchuring him in this school was awful for the family. I wouldn't waste my time if I were a parent reading this looking for referrals.

Posted May 9, 2014

where are the metrics that show this school is outperforming most other feeder schools it pulls from....mere words show nothing. Why is parent involvement so low???is it because there are a select few parents whom you have not seemingly ticked off with your administrative issues?

Posted May 7, 2014

Sadly one of the worst run charters around. The students are poorly behaved and the cops have not only been called for student fights, but yes... parent fights. I did NOT feel safe leaving my child there. Administrators do NOT expel students who need to go. My child came home in tears as kids verbally and physically attacked her, and they got a "talking to" and that was it. The scores are ver low and admin is so weak that its a joke. The principal often just "isn't in" aka she is no where to be seen MOST of the time. They put on a good show on tours I learned because it is NOT what happens daily. The positive posts are written by admin (I was told this directly by two teachers). I pulled my child and now she is excelling. Please do not fall for their smoke and mirrors!

Posted April 29, 2014

Ingrediants: 1) Dedicated staff of hard working skilled educators. 2) Intelligent student scholars who strive to broaden and sharpen their skills on daily basis. 3) A tested mdoel of academic excellence. 4) A commited school board who places the utmost value on a child's education and continually asks the question, "are we doing what is best for our scholars?" This is the recipe for school succes and student achievement that is Atlanta Heights Charter School

Posted April 20, 2014

Atlanta Heights is preparing scholars for college from Kindergarten onward. Now in the first year of its new charter, Atlanta Heights is outperforming nearby public schools and provides families a choice. I have spent many hours each month at Atlanta Heights and there is something special here that you don;t see in other schools. The scholars, the teachers, the parents and the staff all have a focus on excellence and academic progress.

Posted March 25, 2014

Atlanta Heights is a school that is making a difference. Since 2010 students have come to this school and improved. Teachers are dedicated are create a safe environment for learning. No school is perfect but the numbers speak for themselves, overall its headed in the right direction and we continue to support it will continue to grow. Please be a part of the solution, that is what makes any school great.

Posted August 13, 2013

If you just need a baby sitter. Atlanta Heights is the place. This school is about making those parents happy who does not care if their child is learning, just get them out of their hair. This school Is all about getting the money. From the board od directors to admin is a joke. I feel sorry for teacher stuck at this school. Most are trying to get out.

Posted July 29, 2013

My school: it could be better at discipline with the children in the class rooms. It's hard to learn. The teachers can't teach that's why I believe they quit. The children in my classroom are bad kids, they even cuss, fight each other, and one time a teacher. There are no sports at this school except basketball. The lunch needs to be made in the school, the food is nasty, the milk was late several times and we had to do without, because there was no one there to open the door in the am for the delivery truck. The principal is never there, I seen her on the tornado trill day. The lower level kids need to separated from the older kids. The music class is boring nothing to do we just sit around.... needs instruments. The school need to let the kids in in the morning. Many of the kids are standing outside even in the rain before the schools starts, they have said no one was there to watch them. The end of the day the children are rushing and running through the parking lot sometimes. Teachers walk the students outside, you never see the principal outside not even in the morning.

Posted May 6, 2013

The school asked us parents to rate how it is. Well this was my child first and last year there. He was in 2nd grade, and those older kids are awful. They fight, swear, and you can't trust the principal to protect them or their teachers. They have a crazy dismissal where all kids are outside together and van riders wait in the hall and they be always fighting swearing, and just bad. This school does not do good for kids. My kid be going back to Adamsville. He is just a baby and doesn't need to be around kids like this. The teachers quit and leave and our kids keep suffering. That principal never talks to parents if you have a problem, you alway deal with deans who don't know half whats going on, and when you want to talk to her, she hide in her office, if she is even at the school at all that day. I am disappointed by this charter and know that a few parents are leaving. This is a bad school and the kids are not learning cause of all the bad kids in they classes. Next year we will know better than to fall for their trick. They make it look good when you tour, but in real time its a free for all.

Posted April 21, 2013

Kindergarten, and 1st grade are this schools saving grace....God please help the rest of this school! The poor teachers are really trying but without vision the people parish. My kids had the same teacher for kindergarten and I am in LOVE with her and the first grade teacher is wonderful. But I'm not sure past this. I have seen fights in the morning and heard big kids cussing in the hallway. Big kids should not be in the same building with my babies. My son is scared of the big kids!

Posted March 26, 2013

My son was enrolled in this school for 3rd grade after doing research and going on a tour I thought this was the be a great school for my son. The tour showed me classes that were not overcrowded, well behaved children that seemed to be happy about learning. I was SADLY mistaken. His teacher left the school and was only replaced with multiple subsitutes that told me to get my son out of this school. Finally the teacher was replaced with a teacher that yelled constantly everyday. How can a student learn if they are yelled at all the time. My sons glasses were smashed by another student the administration was unavailable and uncaring about any of these situations that I brought to there attention. My son became a shell of himself saying this school was the worst and he hated the school. The best descsion I ever made was to withdraw my son from Atlanta Charter Heights. Please do not send your child to this school.

Posted March 9, 2013

Great teachers, not so great administration. Very high turnover rate. I was very dissappointed by the unprofessionalism of the Principal.

Posted March 6, 2013

As I read the reviews about Atlanta Heights, I am frightened! I read reviews, I visit schools, and I check schools scores. How does a parent determine what school is the right one? Every school I've read on has had horrible reviews, is it time that parents keep their kids at home to home school them?

Posted March 3, 2013

At first, I thought this was going to be a good school. My son had the greatest kindergarten teacher, but boy how things have changed. It now goes up to 8th grade with big kids walking in the same hallways as the 5year olds. Classroom size for 1st grade is almost 30 kids. No wonder the teachers are so flustered. They say they are such a gr8 school, but the staff is rude and uncaring. The ratings are going down as far as test scores. I've already begun looking for a new school for my son. Next August will not catch him here for 2nd grade. No way! There are other schools with much higher ratings. I gave them a chance, but I'm done done, done. The staff is condescending. As intelligent, informed parents, I'm amazed that the staff treat me and my husband like we are lesser than. I gave them 2 stars because they do not dumb our kids down and they have high expectations for them to go to college. You do not find this a lot in black neighborhoods. This school does and they reward accomplishments, but if the class sizes stay this large & teacher turnover rates stay this high, they are destined to score a 1 of 10 very soon. Last year, they were 4, now 3. Wrong direction.

Posted February 26, 2013

Well Well, I thought this was a place to come and rate schools, NOT to talk about personnal feelings of people that you use to work with.First of all Atlanta Heights has not been denied its charter, so lets stop listening to gossiping drama QUEENS. Parents Should want to send their children somewhere that makes them feel safe. Some place that the child will get a quality education from hardworking teachers. And that place is Atlanta Heights. Now is the discipline the greatest? No it is not BUT should they continue to suspend every child that acts out in class? What is the outcome of that, the child learns NOTHING. the deans could be more supportive but the principal really does care about her staff and the children in this school. This is a school without contracts so therefore staff come and go. Many go because the wages at AHCS are far below APS but with the same children(which goes to show they are in the profession for all the wrong reasons) Others leave because they are not effective and can not handle the load that NHA requires. But if you require a your children to work hard you should require the same of your staff. Any day you want to Visit AHCS, DO IT!, you'll see youself

Posted December 12, 2012

I also worked here and agree with other posts. The school is very poorly run and the administration is very hands off. Most behavior issues are handled by teachers and sending problem students to other teachers classrooms. NHA spends hundreds of thousands a year to fly all new employees to Michigan putting us up in gorgeous hotels paying for bags flights food and even a $100 gift card. However the board won't give any more than $1000 for three grade levels for a field trip. This is a for profit organization and it shows. Kids rarely get kicked out. They are a dollar sign. I believe the problem is poor administration that is often late in early out or barely there at all. They like to turn all problems back on teachers and not parents or students. Parents even fight at the school. We have locked down at least one time already this year due to parents fighting so imagine how kids behave. The middle school students are out of control. They have lost some amazing teachers this year as they are not supported. Sending your child to this school will not help. If they are med or high level go to another school. I have seen strong kids fall apart due to other students behaviors
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 19, 2012

This is my first year and I love it! The school sits amongst a lot of other schools that are not doing so well academically. The scholars at Atlanta Heights are showing what they are made of. In its third year, it is academicallyt sound and out performing many of the other APS schools in and outside the area. The scholars are proud of their academic performances and take pride in themselves and their community. The teachers and staff are focused on teaching our children. The growing pains lessen and the mission of the school goes forward.

Posted May 15, 2012

This was my child's 1st year @ this school and I shiver @ the thought of my child returning next year. This school is all about collecting money. Nothing promised @ the beginning of the school year was delivered & the lack of discipline is amazing! No extra curricular activities or foreign language are offered. This was the 6th grades first year & it was a NIGHTMARE! There is a lack of organization and a sense of scattered brained thinking operating this school. I gave a 1 star rating because I could not leave all blank.

Posted March 3, 2012

"What do you see when you look at me? I am an Atlanta Heights Trailblazer!" This is the beginning of the creed that every scholar (not student :-)) must learn when entering this serious institution of education. Parents complained of the lack of a good school for their children where here it is. The staff is dedicated to the education of each scholar, they get the parents involved, and they teach an old school value that many schools no longer incorporate into their lesson plans; MORALS! So many are concerned with sports when I know there are kids (in my neighborhood) who can't even read but can put the ball in the hoop. Not My Scholars and I say SCHOLARS proudly! Thank You Atlanta Hieghts for caring. I know all of us parents aren't the best, but I thank God and you for coming here to help us and our children become better. TRAILBLAZERS ALL THE WAY!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 92% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 96% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 93% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 95% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 85% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 97% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

72 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Writing

The state average for Writing was 82% in 2012.

2009

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Speech and language therapist(s)
Reading specialist(s)
PE instructor(s)
Music teacher(s)
Math specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Clubs
  • Debate

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
  • Melissa Jones Clarke
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (678) 264-2132

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College prep
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Speech and language therapist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Performing arts
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Chaperone school trips