Public charter
Atlanta, GA

Atlanta Preparatory Academy 3

Posted February 26, 2013
Please DISREGARD "I understand the school is new" review. It was meant for ANOTHER SCHOOL. Apologies.

Posted November 06, 2012
My daughter has attended APA since the schools opening (she started in the kindergarten class) we had an excellent teacher Ms. jones however, after a tumultuous battle with administration she was not asked back to loop as our first grade class teacher. subsequently, this has been an issue every year the teacher does not remain with the class (although the school states class will loop with teacher to promote individualized attention needs and familiarity). My daughter 3rd grade teacher this year up and quit 3 weeks into the beginning of this school year 2012. Administration hired a new teacher with no prior experience in such a critical grade with no assistance! Great teachers have also left abandoning there class his year (Ms. Barbour, Mr. Tennison). Ask Ms. Crowder (front desk secretary) where her daughter attends school this year! Not APA! I won't begin to start on Mr. Lyles, Dr. Walker, and Ms. Swindler (they have no standards they smile with a grin and cash there for profit checks at the end of the day) oh yes, let us not forget the stripper, bedroom slippers wearing, "stay at home parents" that never show up to volunteer or encourage the children to behave accordingly :(.

Atlanta Preparatory Academy 4

Posted September 03, 2012
As a founding parent of APA overall Ive been pleased with my son's progress. The staff is caring to the students and the smaller size allows for a more personal experience. However with all the scutiny charters schools have been under, I do have concerns about the strength Executive Board and their ability to take the school foward.

Atlanta Preparatory Academy 4

Posted August 31, 2012
This is our second year at APA. I am pleased with the education my child is receiving. The curriculum is active, hands-on and rigorous which appeals to her learning style. By regularly volunteering, I have learned that the staff and faculty are dedicated and care about the children and try to make decisions in their (children) best interest.

Posted August 06, 2012
I have never been so involved and had such involvement result in resentment as with this school. I came to realized early on that the attitude of the principal is based on wanting to have a front for a good school, but the seething underbelly of the school really is a big issue. Dr. Walker does not support parents who use their voices in support and protection of children. Parents with bad attitudes and loud mouths, raising children with bad attitudes and loud mouths run the school. And the charter company is not really any better. There's nowhere to turn, except towards another school.

Atlanta Preparatory Academy 2

Posted July 23, 2012
My son has attended this school for two years and is now entering the 2nd grade for his third year of school here. I think the school is just like most where there are some good and some not so good teachers. I agree with the other review where the parent said that there is a complete lack of control and organization in the first grade class rooms which I can only assume is the case for the other classes. I chose this school after a lot of good recommendations however I can't say that after having my child attend I would recommend it to anyone else. The school is just "OK" which is not good enough for me. I will be removing my son as soon as possible

Posted April 11, 2012
This school is a okay school,but this my son 1st year here he is 1st grade student who is excellent in math and science, but his grades have fell since attending here. I'm part of PTA and they don't allow parent input. The staff always seem not happy, even the principal Walker always avoid eye contact when pick up/drop-off after I ask to enter my son in to tutoring program to help him during school. The class is disorganized, teacher is out all the time, Spanish teacher looks angry all the time, I volunteered in her class...She let them literally have the floor b/c they play n speak so loud so she is actually yelling to the class in Spanish. Alot of teacher-parent favoritism. Its hardly any parents at PTA ever r volunteering in classroom. Alot of the parents I spoke to about the 1st grade class said it is their child's last year. I also reccommended more veggies during lunch & hot & dry cereal for breakfast. Do u think that happened? They wonder why the kids are not sitting still. So much sugar for breakfast n lunch...everything is microwaved & what's on the menu is not always what's stated on kids plate. Even teachers say they will never eat it. Do research please parents.

Atlanta Preparatory Academy
569 Martin Luther King Jr Dr NW, Atlanta, GA  30314
Last modified Atlanta Preparatory Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-7. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Atlanta Preparatory Academy Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 7 reviews. Top