Ivy Prep Academy at Kirkwood for Girls School 5

Posted October 16, 2014
My daugther's school Iny Prep Academy at Kirkwood for Girls is awesome! I love the culture and atmosphere of the school and how they show a genuine interest in my daughter's education. The uniforms are excellent and professional but the most important aspect is the cirriculum gearing my child for college and making sure that she's ready!

Posted August 04, 2014
This is my first year at Ivy Prep. I must say that it does take a village to raise a child. I see a lot of negative comments below and as one of the parent's said: Are you gonna be a part of the problem or part of the solution? Coming from school up north, I have seen the difference in kids who have parents that care and those who don't. With what I saw for my first day, the only issues I've encountered are the parents, the uniforms being expensive, and some disorganization going on. The "Body". Parents, students and teachers should always be working together. The quality of the uniforms are what I would expect from a brand like Lands End so in a sense, this is truly a good thing. As far as organization -it's a FREE Public school! If you are good at organizing help the school out! They are wearing multiple hats for free trying to make sure our kids are able to have a good education. Coming from a non profit whose department raises over 60 mil a year - I for one will do my best to make sure I help the kids at Ivy succeed. Any successful school has 3 things helping it; Parent involvement, funding, and resources - if you are a parent - be that for Ivy. .

Ivy Prep Academy at Kirkwood for Girls School 1

Posted May 14, 2014
I used to really enjoy this school and what they stood for. This past year has been terrible and I can not speak for all teachers but I am thoroughly upset that my son has been BULLIED all year long and I have wrote emails, I have spoken to the Vice principle, and my son's teacher and have even tried to set up a parent meeting. He has been hit on, knocked down, poked with pencils, food thrown in his face, and nothing to date has been done.Then I am told that there can be an investigation done but there needs to be documentation. The teacher who I will not disclose her name has seen this happening and has yet to report it according to the VP of the school. My son opened his mouth and threatened this kid and has now been suspended because of the threat. This is very upsetting because I have been to the school countless of times and nothing has been done. Sad...You send your kids to what you believe to be a good school and they are not protected but when they do stand up for themselves they are once again victimized, teaching them that they are not safe. I will not apologize for this post and will continue to post reviews on other sites. The Zero Tolerance policy only applies to some.
2 people found this helpful

Posted May 03, 2014
I read the reviews posted by others. I'm a parent who also works in education. The point of charter is to give us a choice in our child's education. Not sure about others but my home school in DeKalb, Salem Middle, is HORRIBLE. I see the same parents volunteering. Some of them everyday. While others congregate in the parking lot with negative conversations about the school. A kid almost got hit the other morning because some mom didn't want to drop off in the car Lane. We have to be the first example of following rules with our kids. Can there be improvements? YES! This is a new school experiencing growing pains. We as parents could help the school out by making sure our girls are doing their part. The level of disrespect that I have witnessed is appalling. Let's be part of the solution, not the problem. Remember, Ivy is our choice. A better choice. Work in progress.

Ivy Prep Academy at Kirkwood for Girls School 2

Posted March 19, 2014
had such high hopes for this school but continuious educational disruption due to high teacher turnover has lead to poor test scores and the girls are unrulely making learning difficult please think twice before sending your daughter to this school

Ivy Prep Academy at Kirkwood for Girls School 5

Posted March 18, 2014
My daughter loves IPA and so do I. This is her first year here, and I must say that I am pleased. I took a gamble pulling her from her previous school, but I have found a school where she is loved for who she is yet pushed to be a better her. I love, love, love her teacher!

Posted January 16, 2014
I am very pleased with IPA. This is my daughter's second year and although we had a stronger bond with her last year teacher, this year has gone been going well so far. True, as with most fairly new schools, there is room for improvement. But compared to the school we were zoned for, this is a far better choice! Hopefully next year there will be a better sense of stability. We feel like we never really know what's going to actually take place when we're told. With more parent involvement, I'm sure next year will be even better!

Posted October 03, 2013
This is the second year my daughter has attended. While it's not perfect, I am more than satisfied with the high level of curriculum, discipline, and strides made to continuously up the ante for the scholars education. Her classwork and homework are challenging and the expectation of excellence has been made clear to her by her teacher and administrators. I can't speak for the middle school grades, but the elementary grade teachers are great! The only thing I can say that concerns me is the lack of parental involvement. Because this is a charter school, parents had to make a conscious decision to enroll their child, so they more than understand that their participation is expected. Unfortunately, there is a disconnect between expectations and what is actually happening. If you're a parent who wants to give your child a fighting chance and understand that it may not happen at their traditional home school, give Ivy Prep a try!

Ivy Prep Academy at Kirkwood for Girls School 2

Posted September 28, 2013
IPA is definitely not what I expected when I signed up for my daughter to attend this school. I agree with one of the previous posts regarding uniforms I also spent over $500 and they didn't even enforce the uniform policy. Three years later they are trying to enforce it and parents are not happy. Most teachers are first time instructors, appear to have no training, and can not control their classes. Few of the teachers have certificates and they do not communicate well with parents. I believe the demographics of this school has a lot to do with it being an epic failure compared to the success of the Gwinnett County campus. There are not enough parents who care to force the administration to do something different. After the first year I wanted to give them an opportunity to make it better but it got worse. I've been trying to put my daughter into another school but School Choice did not work in my favor and moving my child to her home school might be "cutting off my nose to spite my face". If you are considering IPA/Kirkwood for your daughter, please make sure you do your research first. And by all means, please do not confuse it with the rating of the Gwinnett campus.

Ivy Prep Academy at Kirkwood for Girls School 1

Posted September 09, 2013
I would be very cautious about sending your daughter to this school. My daughter was exposed to inappropriate sexual conduct amongst the girls, foul language, and a slower than average curriculum. The administrators seemed to be more concerned with pushing their own agendas than shaping the girls into the best that they can be. I transferred my daughter to a private school. I am still dealing with the horrible mistake of sending my daughter to this school. Beware!

Ivy Prep Academy at Kirkwood for Girls School
1807 Memorial Dr SE, Atlanta, GA  30317
Last modified Ivy Prep Academy at Kirkwood for Girls School is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ivy Prep Academy at Kirkwood for Girls School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top