Bad
Good

My child has attended DESA since Kindergarten. Yes of course there are things that could be improved upon, however, as a whole the school is absolutely awesome. The teachers differentiate their small groups, communicate with parents in multiple ways, provide arts integrated lessons, and so much more. We have our challenges with the district...location changes and unmet promises, but couldnt have chosen a better school for my child!

Develops character: Agree

Teachers and administrators encourage children to come to them with anything. The teachers investigate issues and reports are given to administration. There is a disconnect as to what happens after that, but that is being worked on.

This is a good school and we would have really liked to stay but another option opened up. When we listed the positives of both options, there was no comparison. We couldn't see how DESA would prepare our child for next level. The primary concern (for DESA) seems to be maintaining the high pass rate on the various standardized tests and it seems as though too much time is spent bringing children "up to speed". So if you've got a child already "at or above speed" there isn't much offered for them, no gifted studies, no accelerated studies, no Language studies, and no Orchestra are offered. The Administration and Staff are rock solid professionals and offer great customer service. The Principal was very approachable and friendly. I never had a second thought about my child's safety and well being.

Good customer service. Great school spirit. This is our first year, but I feel as though this is a special place. Will update my review as time goes on

this school is great for your little actor/singer/artist or musician. although starting in 4th grade you have to pick from the arts and one specialize in 2 (BUMMER) BUT my kid loves the violin teacher and the art teacher Ms Warner. I wish this school recycled though, doesn't seem to have a idea of running a green school, the cafeteria trays are made out of Styrofoam ewwwww and when you ask if there is a recycling bin you get looked at strangely . green it up DESA seriously

Angel is 5yo. She absolutely love her Teachers & Friends. She is so happy to come home to show me the latest moves after practice. She has scored (761/900) 85% knowledge retained on the Standardized Testing and Reporting (STAR)

Great school. I as a grandparent am concerned about the bullying that goes on there. My granddaughter has been a student there since 1st grade. She is now in 3rd grade. She has been bullied since she started. This issue of bulling has not been addressed school-wide. Maybe individually- of the whole school. Great school. Let's get on the ball DESA! Our kids are depending on us and you.

This school is AMAZING!! I absolutely enjoy it! I have gotten so many opportunities, and learned so many new things! It is a great school and i NEVER want to leave!!!!!!!!!!!! -Submitted by a Student

I love this school. My daughter started in Kindergartin with Mrs. Giles and is now in the 2nd in Mr. Gilbert. The teacher s are wonderful!!!! My daughter loves learning and this school plays a HUGE part in it!!! The principal Mr. Powell shows a lot of care for the students and strives for success. He really has a gift of getting te parents to want to get involved :o)

My daughter is in 5th grade this year, and has attended this school since kindergarten. Although all the staff is not perfect, I absolutely love the princial, Mr. Powell! He truly cares about the students & is always available to parents & students. I am happy to see this school's rating.

Last modified Dekalb Elementary School Of The Arts is a Public school that serves grades K-7. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.