Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

Rich academic experience with socio-economically diverse student body. I would not recommend if sports is a focus, but if you want an academically rich environment (steps to Emory), I'd recommend

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I am only speaking in reference to the AP/IB and the handful non AP/IB teachers with whom I have had contact.

Develops character: Agree

My children have not observed much cheating or plagarism by their peers and seem to be asked to include proper citations when completing research projects/papers. the school uses Turn It In dot com.

First, I want to say that the profile, rating, and test scores listed for this school are old and inaccurate in some cases. Some of the most important statistics like awards for recent AP test performance and number of International Baccalaureate candidates receiving the diploma are completely absent from the school's profile. I have multiple children who attend this school and one child who graduated from this school in 2015. All but one of my children were in the gifted/AP/IB sequence, so I cannot speak much about the "on level" classes. My child who was not in gifted, seemed to be adequately challenged in his classes and was allowed to take AP classes when he wanted to do so which may not have been allowed at a school that has a selective admission process for AP Classes. My child who graduated in 2015 was accepted to UGA and received the Zell Miller scholarship. He had a lot of credit hours for college from his AP and IB test scores. He had wonderful, dedicated teachers throughout his education at Druid Hills. In addition to a good education, this school is one of the few places where your child can experince true diversity. This school has a wonderful mix of people from all over the world, every socioeconomic group, many different racial and ethnic groups, most major religious groups, and people who are part of the LGBT. The faculty also reflects many of these diverse perspectives. Students can take classes like AP Physics from scientists at Fernbank Science center and do dual enrollment with area colleges. This is a great school for students who want academic challenge.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Punitive measures for being one second late, not the type of school that for even five minutes tells kids hurry hurry to class or like last year until the new vp came said get in your seat bemireefore announcements are over and you are ok. it's a calculated system to give a child a bad record.

The teachers literally do not care. They can take a talented kid and turn them into a demotivated depressed egg. As for attendance my kid would rather not go than be late. It was raining cats and dogs yesterday and my kid refused to go cause we had to stop because of zero visibility. My kid thought she was smart and has the test scores to prove it, now she has stated that she is incapable of doing multiple choice. Think psychological torture.... It's been five years since I've complained on this site, if i say it's bad, you better listen. As for the administration they are handling the discipline problems complained about below with people who are the same ethnicity of my child. My kid can be on the property on time and still be cited for being late and it can lead up to expulsion the smartest kid in the county.......

Druid Hills High School offers and exceptional education. I have one child that graduated with the class of 2013. She is currently finishing her sophomore year of college. She received a full scholarship. My youngest child will graduated with the class of 2015. He has over a 4.0 GPA and will receive a full scholarship as well. There are some behavioral issues at the school, but this can be found in the best of public schools. As for the faculty, I have found ALL but 1 to be highly professional and competent. Both of my children took all AP courses during their junior and senior year and did well on the AP test. I did not have a preference as to whether the school became a charter school or not, but as it is, Druid Hills is offering an exceptional education for those seeking it.

I am a currently a student at DHHS. You should think twice before sending your kid here. From unmotivated teachers, teachers in completely over their heads, ebonics from some coaches, to armed guards on campus DHHS is a shining example of a once proud school taken down by mediocrity. Don't take my word for it. Attend meetings, football games, basketball games etc and you will get a picture of DHHS. Look at the number of long term teachers that have left over the last two years, look at their less skilled replacements. Talk to the administration, talk to the counselors, watch how the lunch program is administered, look at what the students wear to school, you will be amazed at what you will see and learn. Draw your own conclusions, but I tell everyone that will listen about my DHHS experience.

I am a student at Druid Hills High School class of 2015 currently enrolled in AP classes along with many of the clubs at Druid Hills. The three main issues at Druid Hills discipline, and lack of qualified staff and the community. On the topic of discipline its not uncommon to witness 2-4 fights a week or kids walking down the hallway with ankle monitors and when its comes to punish kids for there actions its just a slap on the wrist. When it comes to the staff there are good teachers but they are few and far between due to budget cuts and rowdy kids you fail to be disciplined many just leave and the ones you stay just don't care and could care less about your education. I find myself having to reteach myself because the teacher decided that playing solitaire or updating there Facebook profile was more important and if they do teach its so vague no one learns the information. Lastly the community of Druid Hills, surrounding Druid Hills are million dollar homes and evolved parents but they've all left because the county would not listen to there input (like becoming a charter school) letting the school degrade so they just left. Druid Hills sets students up for failure.

My school is kinda sad. There is little discipline, students wear whatever they want, they talk back to teachers, some have ankle monitors on, it's really sad. If your kid is going to attend DHHS make sure you do a school tour first. My mom said almost no coaches attend the athletic fundraiser. Ask the school for information on how often the police are called to the school. I am often scared for my safety at DHHS. If you are new to Dekalb, be sure to go online and read about the school board, and how they turned down the charter cluster that the parents wanted. It's really sad.

Last modified Druid Hills High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.