Atlanta, GA

Hawthorne Elementary School 4

Posted May 17, 2015
Considering some of the other Dekalb Co. schools, this is one of the best.I was nervous about sending my son here, but he flourished.The Kindergarten & 1st grade teachers have been caring & just awesome w/ the students.I couldn't be happier w/ the education my son has received & how the teachers & special needs teachers have dealt w/ my son.He actually likes it & his teachers.The parents are also what help make this school amazing.There are several activities & opportunities to get involved.My concerns:That unpleasant woman at the front desk who is just miserable-never says hello, says things she ought not to.You’ll know whom I’m referring. She’s rude to the kids-I have witnessed this many times.They teach French.Considering that the school is 50% Hispanic, I think Span would have been a better option.The Spanish kids speak their language & the Eng speaking kids can't communicate back.Span is more spoken in the US than French,I feel that learning this is doing the kids a disservice. School lunches are bad.The principle is ALWAYS outside greeting every-Always smiling & approachable!She’s kind, yet does not let the kids run amok.Several occasions she visits classes & deals w/ issues.

Posted March 19, 2015
Excellent Principle, Assistant Principle, and staff! Very active parents, who want the best for the school and their children. So glad this is our elementary school!

Posted April 02, 2014
Hawthorne elementary school has been great for my son's development. I am very pleased with the organization of the school and the quality of the teachers. Everyone is very personable which is also a massive plus, as it make rooms for a very positive environment.

Posted August 22, 2013
We love this school. Our son just began at Hawthorne this year and I've seen a big difference in his self esteem and maturity. The inclusion program is exceptional and I'm so happy and thankful they have it here. The new principal is phenomenal. She's so friendly, approachable, and makes you feel your child's education is a team effort. Two thumbs up for Hawthorne!!!

Hawthorne Elementary School 4

Posted June 04, 2013
Hawthorne is a wonderful neighborhood school with great parent involvement and a great team of teachers that care about the kids. Hawthorne is more than just a great neighborhood school. Hawthorne is Dekalb County s only inclusion elementary school, a school that serves students of all abilities side-by-side in the same classroom - from special needs through gifted students. We have been here for 5 years and my son is compassionate, and understands that we are all different and unique in our own way. It's not perfect but I would not change it for any other school, they are learning life lessons and I'm learning with them.

Hawthorne Elementary School 2

Posted December 19, 2012
Before moving into this area I heard nothing but good things about this school. However, I regret that move now. Some of the staff is rude and very off putting. My child comes home with weekly stories of loud, unruly children and unclean rest rooms. My child's love for school and self esteem have been slashed in half since attending. We will be looking at other schools.

Hawthorne Elementary School 3

Posted November 14, 2012
I have heard great things before my kids came into the school, it had great teachers, some of them are gone, which is very sad. But the worst look of the school is the customer service, how rude they can be, they would attend to certain parents, you might get into the main office and you actually have to wait for the women at the front office being rude, keep talking in front of you, not greet you or ask you...How can I help you? Poor customer service or non in some cases...

Posted September 05, 2012
We have a new principal. The interim principal did some incredibly posiitive work in the few months she was there. The kids can chat at lunch now and they are able to sit with friends. As for learning and behavior, the teachers my children have had are focused on engaging their minds through positive feedback and encouraging them to reach further with their studies- beyond the core curriculum if they are able. However, teachers only have them 40 hours per week. Being an active participant in your child's education is essential for a great education, no matter how great the school.

Posted January 23, 2012
I didn't really know what to expect from this Dekalb County school when we moved into the area, but I couldn't be more pleased. We have two children attending and both classes have a fairly low student to teacher ratio. The teachers really seem to care, the administrative staff are great, the principal seems very hands on, all in all I couldn't expect much more. The parents are also very involved, which is always a good sign. I guess most importantly though, my children really seem to like it and are doing very well.

Posted November 06, 2011
Excellent experience. I hate we had to move away. Front office staff was the best I've ever experienced.

Hawthorne Elementary School
2535 Caladium Dr NE, Atlanta, GA  30345
Last modified Hawthorne Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hawthorne Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top