Posted April 02, 2014
Hawthorne elementary school has been great for my son's development. I am very pleased with the organization of the school and the quality of the teachers. Everyone is very personable which is also a massive plus, as it make rooms for a very positive environment.

Posted August 22, 2013
We love this school. Our son just began at Hawthorne this year and I've seen a big difference in his self esteem and maturity. The inclusion program is exceptional and I'm so happy and thankful they have it here. The new principal is phenomenal. She's so friendly, approachable, and makes you feel your child's education is a team effort. Two thumbs up for Hawthorne!!!

Hawthorne Elementary School 4

Posted June 04, 2013
Hawthorne is a wonderful neighborhood school with great parent involvement and a great team of teachers that care about the kids. Hawthorne is more than just a great neighborhood school. Hawthorne is Dekalb County s only inclusion elementary school, a school that serves students of all abilities side-by-side in the same classroom - from special needs through gifted students. We have been here for 5 years and my son is compassionate, and understands that we are all different and unique in our own way. It's not perfect but I would not change it for any other school, they are learning life lessons and I'm learning with them.

Hawthorne Elementary School 2

Posted December 19, 2012
Before moving into this area I heard nothing but good things about this school. However, I regret that move now. Some of the staff is rude and very off putting. My child comes home with weekly stories of loud, unruly children and unclean rest rooms. My child's love for school and self esteem have been slashed in half since attending. We will be looking at other schools.

Hawthorne Elementary School 3

Posted November 14, 2012
I have heard great things before my kids came into the school, it had great teachers, some of them are gone, which is very sad. But the worst look of the school is the customer service, how rude they can be, they would attend to certain parents, you might get into the main office and you actually have to wait for the women at the front office being rude, keep talking in front of you, not greet you or ask you...How can I help you? Poor customer service or non in some cases...

Posted September 05, 2012
We have a new principal. The interim principal did some incredibly posiitive work in the few months she was there. The kids can chat at lunch now and they are able to sit with friends. As for learning and behavior, the teachers my children have had are focused on engaging their minds through positive feedback and encouraging them to reach further with their studies- beyond the core curriculum if they are able. However, teachers only have them 40 hours per week. Being an active participant in your child's education is essential for a great education, no matter how great the school.

Posted January 23, 2012
I didn't really know what to expect from this Dekalb County school when we moved into the area, but I couldn't be more pleased. We have two children attending and both classes have a fairly low student to teacher ratio. The teachers really seem to care, the administrative staff are great, the principal seems very hands on, all in all I couldn't expect much more. The parents are also very involved, which is always a good sign. I guess most importantly though, my children really seem to like it and are doing very well.

Posted November 06, 2011
Excellent experience. I hate we had to move away. Front office staff was the best I've ever experienced.

Posted October 04, 2011
Incredibly committed staff. Involved parents. Teacher-student ratio is best in DeKalb County. Hawthorne is a Coralwood partnership school, which means it has a higher percentage of students with special needs. Unlike many schools in DeKalb, Hawthorne practices an inclusion model. Most classes have a special education and regular education teacher. Many of the regular education teachers are gifted certified. There is a lot of small group. We picked it because we wanted our children to have a high quality public school education in a diverse school. They are getting exactly that and we are thrilled.

Hawthorne Elementary School 4

Posted July 19, 2011
It's surprising to read some of Hawthorne's reviews but everyone's entitled! I would comment on the incredible negative review which was posted in Dec of 2010 but quite frankly it's not worth the time. Let s note one comment though which quotes the kids as saying everyone has brain or behavioral issues??? Hmm.... Hawthorne has incredibly committed teachers all you have to do is talk to a few and draw your own conclusion. It also has an incredibly active parent body and if you come from a school that doesn't you know how important this is to the success of a school. We have challenges without a doubt we're a Dekalb county school and we don't have unlimited funds. Because of this the parents established a foundation last year to help supplement bigger projects enabling the schools to forgo County bureaucracy to get things done. We have a strong Principal with an open door policy any comments complaints and suggestions he is always open to listen to. It's a public school and by far one of the better ones!

Hawthorne Elementary School
2535 Caladium Dr NE, Atlanta, GA  30345
Last modified Hawthorne Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hawthorne Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top