Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

My son is currently in Kindergarten at Hawthorne. He attended Hawthorne for Pre-K as well. We could not be happier with the school. His teachers have been wonderful, the principal and vice-principal are warm, approachable, and on top of things, and he has been having a great time. He has learned so much and has already made some great friends. Their summer program, Camp Buzz, is excellent as well. I take every opportunity to "push" Hawthorne to friends who are house hunting and looking at school districts! We're looking forward to our 2-year-old attending when he is older. Hawthorne is truly a great school!

I truly love this school. The staff and administration are amazing. It's like one big family. They work together to ensure each child has an enriching learning experience. I couldn't have chosen a better school for our child.

We went here for Pre-K and had an excellent experience! My child got accepted into a language immersion school in Kindergarten, so we ended up leaving. However, if they hadn't, we would have kept my child at Hawthorne, happily. All the teachers are amazing! The principle and assistant principle are top notch! And, on a side note, the cafeteria staff are such loving and wonderful people! I ate lunch with my child on several occasions, and they are truly special individuals doing a tough job for very little money. And, they did it wonderfully with smiles on their faces!

Amount of homework: Disagree

I did feel there was an over abundance of busy work for my Pre-K student. I think homework is necessary but needed to be better thought through versus just sending busy work home.

Considering some of the other Dekalb Co. schools, this is one of the best.I was nervous about sending my son here, but he flourished.The Kindergarten & 1st grade teachers have been caring & just awesome w/ the students.I couldn't be happier w/ the education my son has received & how the teachers & special needs teachers have dealt w/ my son.He actually likes it & his teachers.The parents are also what help make this school amazing.There are several activities & opportunities to get involved.My concerns:That unpleasant woman at the front desk who is just miserable-never says hello, says things she ought not to.You’ll know whom I’m referring. She’s rude to the kids-I have witnessed this many times.They teach French.Considering that the school is 50% Hispanic, I think Span would have been a better option.The Spanish kids speak their language & the Eng speaking kids can't communicate back.Span is more spoken in the US than French,I feel that learning this is doing the kids a disservice. School lunches are bad.The principle is ALWAYS outside greeting every-Always smiling & approachable!She’s kind, yet does not let the kids run amok.Several occasions she visits classes & deals w/ issues.

Excellent Principle, Assistant Principle, and staff! Very active parents, who want the best for the school and their children. So glad this is our elementary school!

Hawthorne elementary school has been great for my son's development. I am very pleased with the organization of the school and the quality of the teachers. Everyone is very personable which is also a massive plus, as it make rooms for a very positive environment.

Hawthorne is a wonderful neighborhood school with great parent involvement and a great team of teachers that care about the kids. Hawthorne is more than just a great neighborhood school. Hawthorne is Dekalb County s only inclusion elementary school, a school that serves students of all abilities side-by-side in the same classroom - from special needs through gifted students. We have been here for 5 years and my son is compassionate, and understands that we are all different and unique in our own way. It's not perfect but I would not change it for any other school, they are learning life lessons and I'm learning with them.

Before moving into this area I heard nothing but good things about this school. However, I regret that move now. Some of the staff is rude and very off putting. My child comes home with weekly stories of loud, unruly children and unclean rest rooms. My child's love for school and self esteem have been slashed in half since attending. We will be looking at other schools.

I have heard great things before my kids came into the school, it had great teachers, some of them are gone, which is very sad. But the worst look of the school is the customer service, how rude they can be, they would attend to certain parents, you might get into the main office and you actually have to wait for the women at the front office being rude, keep talking in front of you, not greet you or ask you...How can I help you? Poor customer service or non in some cases...

Last modified Hawthorne Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.