Douglass High School

Public | 9-12

Posted April 7, 2010

Yes, I agree with most of the comments. Douglass truly staring falling ince Mr. Brown became the Principal. We went to the board and Dr. Augustine last year regarding him and they would not listen. We will now select a new Prinicipal and we all have to support in bringing the school back to order. Parents need to get involved and support the school Come and visit and see what you can do to help build the school back. It can happen but we need your support. Remember in numbers we have the power.

Posted March 5, 2010

Seriously, the principal hit lucky on a million dollars and decided that he was going to leave. Although Mr. J. Austin-Brown wasn't doing so great in the leadership department he still had a role as the principal of a school that isn't getting great reviews. Since I was in Douglass the school was unorganized and it seem as if only one counselor truly cared about the student (Mrs. Strickland). Honestly the school needs a more efficient principal such that of Dr. Horton who characteristics were far beyond true leadership.

Posted March 1, 2010

I am a student at doug. . I am ashamed to tell people the school I go to. I really wIsh that I was going to another school any EXECPT Douglas. when we had our homecoming prep rally people didnt even want to sing the school song and the past students were looking very disappointed. I thought Douglas was going to be a good school because of the things i heard but as i was up there its nothing like it!

Posted November 18, 2009

Douglass need a new principals that care about kids and education.My son is a 11th grader so I know the school is failing the teacher cant do all by there self.Douglass football teams need new uniform the principal need to do some funraiser an involve the kids and parents.

Posted March 28, 2009

This school has fallen down. The principal has no control over the school. Teacher moral is low and many are trying to leave the school. It is a shame for a school that was once a High School of Excellence.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 1, 2009

Going to Douglass was an overwhelming experience for me. My peers were so cruel and the staff wasn't all that great either. I had no choice but to withdrawl. However the teachers were awesome. Ms. Turley-Moore, Ms. Watkins, Ms. Bradshaw, Mr. Muhaamad, and escpecially Mr. Thibault. I miss them all dearly. Going to Douglass taught me something, it taught me about life and the real world. If only others could listen to the message that the teachers are trying to get them to comprehend. It would make the school alot better if the kids acted like they had some home training. Now don't get me wrong some of the people were friendly, and were willing to help someone in distress. But think people, how many people do you meet like that in a life time?

Posted November 17, 2008

I graduated from Douglass in 2007 and I can honestly say that there was a dramatic change when Mr. Brown arrived my senior year. Everything changed and he just seemed as if he was afraid of taking charge. He acted as if he never had a role that required leadership skills. Now my little sister goes to the school and she justisfies everything that I said about Mr. Brown. He seems as if he is scared of the children! But overall, Douglass is a great school (i just wish Douglass would get another principal) But Douglass made me the woman I am today and I am proud to say that I am a Douglass High Astro Alumni.

Posted August 5, 2008

My daughter went to FDHS and graduated 2007. My son is a senior who will graduate 2009. In the beginning, under the direction of Dr. Horton, I was inspired and excited about my children attending. Dr. Horton was a man who got things done and his staff followed suit. Unfortunately, when Mr. Brown came to FDHS, things changed dramatically. Although Mr. Brown's ideals and beliefs are geniune, and he talks a good game, he just doesn't have what it takes to get the job done! This is also apparent with his staff who seem to have no respect for him, fellow colleagues, parents, or students. I am deeply disappointed that my son has not received the quality attention and care that my daughter did when we began at FDHS. As with my daughter, my son will continue on to college and I'm grateful for the help he did receive. Thanks.

Posted May 27, 2008

The School has made great improvements under the leadership of Mr. J. A.Brown

Posted July 24, 2007

My daughter went to Douglass for 9th & 10th grade. Certain people in the front office staff are VERY RUDE and try to treat parents like children and the new principal, Mr. Brown, talks a lot of good game about changing things in the school, but nothing has changed yet. When my daughter was having problems in school, she could never connect with her counselor because the counselor wasn't in her office or her teachers wouldn't let her out of class. We'll see what her junior year brings in at North Atlanta - I'm hoping for better things all around!

Posted September 18, 2006

Douglass high school is almost a great teachers just need to give the students more attention and one on one help

Posted January 31, 2006

As a former graduate of Douglass and class of '98, being in the magnet program has helped me succeed in college. This school is one of the best schools in the school system. The teachers are there to help students and the students are there to learn. Of course there will always be slackers but the experiences that I have gained while attending Douglass has been a great experience. If your child plans on going to college I suggest having your child in the magnet program because once they attend college they will appreciate the experience. I know I have.

Posted April 14, 2005

Dr. Horton, administrative staff and Teachers are wonderful. I have two children that attends and one who has graduated from Douglas High School. I was having a little trouble with one of my children and I took it to Dr. Horton's attention and he handled very well as would a concerned Principal and/or parent. My husband and I feel truly blessed to have our children attending this school.

Posted March 8, 2005

I was a student at Frederick Douglass High school and I can say that Dr.Horton is doing a great job and with the help of his outstanding facility. Keep the good work up and stay focus.

Posted November 15, 2004

I am a 1996 graduate of Douglass High School under the dynamic leadership of Dr. Samuel Hill. Douglass was a great school then and provided me with the foundation, both socially and educationally, to reach my highest potential. I will always be a true Astro.

Posted August 31, 2004

I think that the school don't pay enough attention to the students I have seen students wondering in the hallways. Skipping class, pants sagging. I have even seen students who don't do any work in class, sleep in class and is still able to attend Douglas High. I do know that Douglas High scores great on their testing. But I don't think that they have the teachers who are concern. Im not speaking about all the teachers.

Posted May 21, 2004

Well my son just graduated and he said he really loves it.

Posted February 23, 2004

I have four children, one who graduated from Douglass last year, and three that are currently students there. Dr. Horton and the entire administrative and teaching staff are all very professional and thoroughly concerned with the well-being and success of each student. I am a true 'Astro' fan.

Posted September 5, 2003

I have had two children to attend Douglass High under the leadership of principals Dr Hill and Dr Horton. I am thouroghly impressed with this school. Douglass is an overall great school. Douglass exemplifies great customer service. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted August 25, 2003

I am a student in the class of 2005. I began my high school years at Douglass, however due to attendence issues I was removed. As I look back on my freshmen year, I truly do miss it. Douglass is a good school, and I still take in consideration that I may transfer back[if possible] and graduate, as I planned from the beginning!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

257 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2011.

254 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 93% in 2011.

255 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 80% in 2011.

252 students were tested at this school in 2011.

2009

Scale: % at or above passing

In 2010-2011 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Graduation Test (GHSGT) in English language arts, math, science and social studies to students in grade 11. The GHSGT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass all parts of the GHSGT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 95% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Writing Test (GHSWT) to students in grade 11. The GHSWT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass the GHSWT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

160 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

140 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

156 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

213 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

117 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

206 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

114 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

• Thomas Glanton
Fax number
  • (404) 792-5736

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

225 Hamilton E Holmes Dr NW