Briar Vista Elementary School 4

Posted November 17, 2014
My son is there for two years & my daughter just got admitted there in pre-K . It is great school & deserve better rating. I have to mention about Mrs. vina Black who help my son in his 3rd grade to get selected for Discovery program. The school needs fund for face lift. Great stuff over there.

Posted June 07, 2014
Through my experience as a parent , I do like the school. My son also loves it and though he is non-native speaker, he develops himself significantly in a short time. The teachers are great, nice, committed, and helpful. Whenever I sent an email, I got the reply immediately. I would like also to praise the principal and her assistant for their great effort and support for students. When I registered my kid and see that greatschool.org rating it as 3 out of 10, I felt disappointed, but by experience I see the opposite and this school does deserve a higher score. All the best for this school, God bless its management, teachers, ESOL unit, and everybody

Briar Vista Elementary School 4

Posted June 06, 2014
As a whole we love BVE. It is a great diverse neighborhood school. My son has been at BVE for two years. He had a wonderful teacher this year. Our new principal has made many positive changes at BVE. I know that change does not occur over night. Physical change occurs much faster than teacher changes. There are a lot of wonderful teachers at BVE howwever, there are still negative teachers and staff at BVE that are part of the old regime. I agree with the reveiw about the PE teacher. My son dreads going to PE. He says they mostly run laps and do push ups. I know there is a curriculum to follow however, one would think PE could be more fun and creative. My son loved olympic week because the dancing was fun and creative. We have a counselor at BVE that never smiles even at school events. She does not appear warm and friendly to parents or children. How can a counselor not be warm, friendly and welcoming? Children should feel comfortable going to a kind and friendly counselor if they ever had a problem. We look forward to many more positive changes occurring at BVE.

Posted May 23, 2014
My son has been going to BVE for 4 years and really likes the PE teacher. I went to the Olympic ceremonies and thought they were nice, if not a little hokey. But they were not for me. They were for the kids, and the kids thought they were awesome! They even had a real Olympian talk to the kids. Yes, it took a while to get the kindergartners in position, but if you can get 50 five year olds to line up in formation quickly, well, good luck. It would be nice if there was air conditioning in the gym, but the kids didn't seem to mind the heat as much as I did.

Briar Vista Elementary School 3

Posted May 21, 2014
Overall, this school has potential. New leadership has made a difference in welcoming people to the school. There are still numerous totally unfriendly teachers in the school who do not greet parents , don't smile, don't relate to the students and are rude. These are not isolated observations. The staff could use some training of how to communicate with parents and stop the negativity with children. Too many derogatory comments and hurtful things said to the students.

Briar Vista Elementary School 2

Posted May 21, 2014
I have been a parent at Briar Vista for years and this school has had huge problems with leadership in the past. Now we have a new principal who is nice and has many physical changes and maintenance at our school. She has also made teachers happier since we had a massive turnover a year ago. But she has tons more work to do in weeding out BAD teachers. Some of them are the PE teacher who never ever greets parents or relates to children. I have watched her standing in the bus lane every morning with a sour face for an entire school year. The Olympics opening ceremony are poorly organized and she barely taken any leadership role or direct kids or welcomes parents or smiles. What is wrong with her? Where are the redeeming qualities? There are several other teachers, especially the after school teacher who never greets parents, barks orders at kids and has the most negative attitude. With the friendlier way of running the school by this new principal, there are several more unskilled unfriendly uninterested unschooled up invested teachers who drag that school and everyone in it down. Some other teachers are friendly until they are mean as can be with children behind closed doors.

Briar Vista Elementary School 2

Posted May 21, 2014
Nothing but packets of worksheets by some teachers who teach very little. Since when do worksheets teach? Some teachers are not well trained and do all the so called teaching through worksheets. Tons of them. Please show those teachers the door. Test scores reflect poor teaching by some and years of lack luster investment in our children. Some teachers are so I invested and could care less about their quality of teaching and interpersonal skills with children and parents. What are their redeeming qualities? We keep hearing that the more affluent children score better and the poor kids don't. What is the school doing to teach all kids? Montessori works much better and should be expanded. Get rid of dead beat teachers. The new principal has done cosmetic things and helped morale, but academics where it is ultimately. Get rid of mean teachers. Those who appear nice, but are mean and vindictive behind closed doors. Listen to our children. Get rid of impolite and unfriendly staff. Breathe more life into this school. Do a much better job teaching all children. Get rid of teachers who teach using nothing but worksheets and having kids answer the questions at the end of chapters for months

Posted March 16, 2014
Briar Vista Elementary offers Montessori and traditional education tracks in a diverse multicultural setting. The new principal, Cammie Neill, has breathed fresh life into the efforts of teachers and support staff. The school will be receiving a face-lift to bring it into ADA compliance this year and the PTO is well on its way to funding a new playground. The atmosphere at the school is warm and friendly - teachers and staff know kids and parents by name and greet them as they walk through the school. School events such as the Food Truck Fridays, International Night and the Fun Run get all the families involved. Our son has had a wonderful year in kindergarten, is devoted to his teacher, and feels completely at home in the school. The Montessori program has suited him well and he enjoys after school activities including extra-curriculars. Positive changes, large and small, pervaded the school this year after the arrival of the new principal. The parents and teachers all seem to feel that she hears their concerns and works to address them. This, in turn, has encouraged renewed investment of time and effort from the school community. Briar Vista is the next Fernbank!

Posted March 16, 2014
Briar Vista is a hidden gem! The 2013-2014 school year will be marked as the year this little neighborhood school was reinvented. The new principal has turned Briar Vista into a school that will soon be THE sought after school to send your kids. Very much looking forward to when the secret gets out and Briar Vista gets the accolades it deserves!

Posted March 16, 2014
I am a teacher at Briar Vista Elementary. I am extremely happy to be part of this great school. Ms. Neill is an excellent principal. She is a team player and promotes a very positive atmosphere for both staff and students.

Briar Vista Elementary School
1131 Briar Vista Ter NE, Atlanta, GA  30324
Last modified Briar Vista Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Briar Vista Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 54 reviews. Top