Posted July 20, 2015
Wonderful atmosphere in the school. Most of all, great teachers and parents, and lovely kids. I love this school.

Oak Grove Elementary School 3

Posted June 19, 2015
I believe Oak Grove is a good school, however our experience was not great. My child began in kindergarten with a new teacher who was so focused on him sitting quietly every second of his school day that it significantly affected his confidence. During the in class assessments, if he became distracted and provided a delayed answer, it was marked as if he had not mastered the material. Many of the older teachers lacked patience in the same respect, not knowing how to channel the energy of the young boys. There is even a time out table in the middle of the cafeteria that was often full with boys who were talking during the classical music period, placed there by the ever so stern cafeteria monitors. It was not until we switched classrooms that we experienced a teacher with more patience, and were able to see the spirit of Oak Grove that many speak of. I do have to say that as a minority I feel as if my son stood out more (in the way that a red sports car speeding on the highway gets the ticket while speeding with the other cars). My husband and I both observed him at school numerous times, even pointing out to his former teacher that she missed other kids doing the exact same thing. She omitted telling us when our son was taunted or hit by other students, and pushed him once which she was unable to deny when confronted in the presence of the principal and vice principal. I honestly lost faith in her. I tried to not let it cloud my judgement regarding the school, but it's difficult. If you are a minority and thinking of choosing this school, or parents of very wiggly, active children, I suggest the following: Be involved. Ensure that they know your expectations. Of course hold your young one accountable, but hold them more accountable. For us, it was overwhelming to hear our son say that he was not looking forward to school. And that he knew he was going to have another bad day. For that reason we are going private, to a place with a smaller teacher to student ratio and greater transparency.

Posted May 30, 2014
Oak Grove is an amazing school with A+ teachers, supportive and helpful staff members, and an outstanding new principal! The new principal has completely changed the atmosphere of the school and turned it back into a community school where the focus is placed on the students! My children loved everything about the school and so did I.

Posted November 05, 2013
I cannot say enough amazing things about Oak Grove Elementary School. My daughter has gone there for four years since Kindergarten. She is thriving academically, socially, and emotionally. The school has a comprehensive, well-rounded curriculum. Oak Grove offers fun and challenging options for students during its aftercare program as well at an additional cost (i.e., drama, Spanish, chess, dance, etc). The teachers are very involved and caring, as are other parents. The test scores are WAY above the state and national averages each year per grade. The student body is diverse and the community surrounding the school is socially liberal. It's just a great place for a child to receive an education!

Posted August 22, 2013
My school is great, the kids love it. The teachers and staff are the best.

Oak Grove Elementary School 3

Posted May 13, 2013
Previous principal was an excellent speaker and very visible. However she did not follow through on promises. She left suddenly in the middle of the year to go to another school. Teachers have send notes home written in magic marker with mis spellings. Emphasis is on self esteem for students and everyone feeling good. Fortunately student body draws from neighborhood of professionals, hence the good test scores.

Posted April 02, 2013
Our experience has been excellent ! Teachers and parent involvement is great. Immediate past principal was excellent - ongoing search for principal is in progress.

Posted March 22, 2011
I am so happy to go to a school where the principal is so involved, not just on the big issues, but even to visit each classroom to see the students at work! The fourth grade teachers have been great, especially in science and math. I am proud that we are part of this school!

Posted March 21, 2011
The teachers, staff, new principal and parents pour their talents and energies into making this school one special place for the kids who attend- and there are extra cirricular events like the math superstar program to the science olympiad and there are many events and activities ranging from the multi-cultural festival to the fun run, art night and much more. My now 4th grader loves going to school and I have to say I love volunteering in the outdoor classroom/garden!

Posted January 26, 2011
The program is excellent, the teacher go the extra mile for the kids, most of the parents are involved, the new principal is great. It lacks of founding like all the public schools but still a great school located in a good neighborhood .

Oak Grove Elementary School
1857 Oak Grove Rd NE, Atlanta, GA  30345
Last modified Oak Grove Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Oak Grove Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 60 reviews. Top