Ashford Park Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 539 students

Our school is best known for high levels of academic achievement.

Posted September 5, 2009

We are thrilled with Ashford Park! We've watched the greatschools.org rating get higher each year and are happy about that, but what a rating cannot convey is the sense of community and support our children experience daily at Ashford Park. Teachers and staff are all so supportive and passionate about teaching our children. The PTA grows larger every year and is very involved at APS and also in the community. Wonderful Gifted program for high-achievers. Differentiated learning in every classroom means each child is taught at the level they need. Each student is either challenged or given extra help to make sure they are succeeding. We couldn't be happier with Ashford Park Elementary!

Posted May 3, 2009

Our son attends Ashford Park School and we are impressed with the vigorous attention given to academics within the school. APS exceeds expectations in all areas and provides students with an amazing learning environment. It is evident that the faculty and staff have the student's best interest at heart. Parental involvement is amazing. The APS PTA, which is made up of parents, teachers, and community members, contributes endlessly to the school. As a former teacher with a Masters in Elementary Education, I believe APS will continue to give my son (first grade) and my daughter (pre-K class of 2010-2011) a tremendous, well rounded education.

Posted January 29, 2009

We have three kids at Ashford Park and we are completely happy with the quality of teachers, approach to learning, and enrichment activities. Our 4th grader is in band, which is fantastic. Each child is getting the right amount of individual attention, small group learning, and large group time - so they're developing socially as well as academically. The students and teachers represent a wonderful diversity that is celebrated in the school's welcoming atmosphere. We love our school counselor, who fosters this warm environment and works with all the kids on character building. Parents are highly involved and we get great support from community groups and businesses! We wouldn't go anywhere else.

Posted January 29, 2009

We have been at APS for two years now, and couldn't be happier with our child's educational experience! She is challenged by the curriculum, engaged through the Discovery Program, and enriched by weekly classes in art, music, computer lab and health education. She especially loves visits to the Media Center and being in the Accelerated Reader program. The school's environment is friendly, cheerful and safe. The teachers work together well, and the principal, asst. principal and counselor are available to parents and students alike. The PTA is strong and active, and we get lots of community support. APS has a real family atmosphere!

Posted January 28, 2009

This school improves what it offers the kids every day! Parent involvement is increasing with each new year, and the PTA and school achievements grow!

Posted December 19, 2008

My kids have been at Ashford Park since pre-K, and I have seen great improvement in this school each year. Our PTA is well-supported and more able each year to assist the school because of the large number of parents that participate as PTA members. My kids love Ashford Park, especially the cultural diversity and their teachers. As a PTA parent, I see that we gain momentum each year. New parents realize the power of their participation and join us in PTA. This dramatically enriches not only their childs experience, but helps the entire school. Pam Irvin

Posted December 8, 2008

We moved our child from a private Pre-K to Ashford Park and couldn't be happier! The teachers and the principal were so welcoming and encouraging to my child. We love the small community of children and parents that attend Ashford Park and are grateful for the diversity!

Posted December 8, 2008

Ashford Park Elementary is truly a wonderful neighborhood community school where our daughter is thriving! As a former teacher, I looked long and hard at area private schools around the Brookhaven area and my husband I could not be happier that we chose Ashford Park! It is so rare these days to find a school where every teacher knows every child in the school by name and has such a family atmosphere feel. The teachers are truly wonderful and have been trained extensively in differentiated learning so that ALL students' needs are met. The principal, Ms.Fallon, has been a true blessing for Ashford Park. She welcomes parents and volunteers in the building and she goes above and beyond the call of duty. We look forward to many more happy years at APS!

Posted December 4, 2008

We have two children at Ashford Park. They have completely different learning styles and needs, and both are being nutured, encouraged and challenged to the fullest. I love that every teacher is gifted/high achievement certified, every child gets individualized attention, and the enviroment is safe and conducive to learning. I also appreciate that every student gets PE twice a week, regular lessons with specialists in Art, Music and Computer, and weekly library time - and that the school counselor is not just available but incredibly involved with children in classroom, small group and individual settings. I am 100% convinced this is the best learning environment for my children!

Posted November 24, 2008

My family has been a part of the Ashford Park family for 8 years. I have seen the school grow to the potential it can be and know that it will continue to exceed standards. As a parent, PTA officer(s), chair and member, I am thrilled with the increased parent involvement and participation that has made our diamond shine. We have experienced the best of teachers throughout our children's career to include teachers w/ masters in education, gifted certification, instruction in high achievement and differentiated learning. The administration has opened it's arms to the community which has made a tremendous difference in our school, anywhere from PTA involvement to our beautiful outdoor science classroom. Ashford Park will continue to make great strides with this combined leadership and professional teachers. Beverly Moon

Posted November 21, 2008

I had heard that thsi school was improving, so we decided to try it out. We have been very disappointed. Their is hardly any parental participation, only a few show up at school events, there is too much emphasis placed on testing, little if any communication from teacher to parent. If you are lucky enough to get one of the few teachers that do communicate...but it is rare. It is trying to improve, but we see it a long way off. We would not reccomend this school.

Posted November 17, 2008

I am truly excited about being apart of the Ashford Park family. To be able to attend a school where you recognize faces not only within school but also around the neighborhood as well adds a since of security and familiarity that is rare. I am also grateful that the parents, teachers and adminstrators are working hard to make the school better and better each year. I have every bit of confidence that my children will be able to have an awesome elementary experience at Asford Park.

Posted May 22, 2008

My daughter attended Ashford Park Elementary from 3rd through 5th grade and she and I both loved ALL of the teachers and staff. I can say this with all honesty... every time I walked in that school, one of the teachers or one of the staff would stop me and speak so highly of my daughter. They all knew her, even the ones that had never even taught her. It always made me feel so good to know that she was thought of so much by everyone. Her teachers made such an impact in her life and she was so close to both of them. Although we're moving on to middle school next year, the teachers and staff at Ashford Park will be greatly missed but never forgotten! I highly recommend this school! Laurie C. mother of Casey C.

Posted January 17, 2008

I have a child in Kindergarten at Ashford Park and my husband and I assumed that we would put our child in private school when we moved into the neighborhood. After hearing about the good things going on over the past couple years we decided to give it a try. It has exceeded our expectations! The quality of education that his teacher is providing could not be bought. He is excelling and happy. The school as a whole is also working to make physical improvements, and to attain the best recourses in order to measure up . The PTA and parents have a vested interest and are working hard. I feel that in the next couple years they will be seen as #1 in the community for sure.

Posted March 7, 2007

Ashford Park Elementary has been a wonderful school for our daughter for three years, but this past year is, no question, the best. The school has blossomed with a new, excellent principal, who has created a refreshing environment, parents are excited about being involved and teacher quality and morale is high. The diversity of this school is a plus. So look at the scores, but also tour the school, meet the caring professional staff and look at the work on the walls. All the teachers have had special training in teaching high achievers, and there is extra help for special needs. This is a great neighborhood school for every kid.

Posted January 23, 2007

I have one child enrolled at Ashford Park and one on the way in after this year. Ashford Park is an amazing school. The teachers are highly skilled and educated. The new principal has brought a sense of dignity and pride to our school. I look forward to another 5 years with my next child.

Posted March 22, 2006

I transferred my 1st grade son to ASP just after christmas from a Montiessori school and i was so impressed with the the teachers. Ms Waller was very sensetive to our concerns and paired us with a great teacher that was willing to guid us through this transition. Everything is going great as we prepair for CRCT testing. Pratice pratice pratice! Keep up the good work APS and together we can make a difference!

Posted November 4, 2005

When we moved into the Brookhaven area, we were certain our children would go to a private school. Ashford Park had a poor reputation and was in need of repair. However, we still kept our eyes on APS. A few years ago Principal Hornsby was hired and every year since then we have seen and heard about the improvements made. This school has come a long way in the past four years and is now one of the better elementary schools. The past test scores primarily reflect the past. Principal Hornsby began by making significant changes his first year to Pre-K and K, then 1st grade, then 2nd grade and this year 3rd grade. He has recruited some of the better teachers and the results are showing. Next year the test scores should be a real indicator to outsiders how far this school has come. Our children now go to APS.

Posted March 27, 2005

I think that ashford park school Is not equipped properly to handle the 6th grade students.this Is all based on facts that I have experienced first hand.I recently had a parent/teacher conference,and the teacher told me that she cannot control half the kids In her class, (behavior wise).she wanted to suspend my son for acting out In class,I simply suggested to her when he get through with his class work,to keep him from being bored,to give him extra work.she thought that was a good Idea. my whole point Is that the teachers should be able to figure out how to solve Issues like that without parent Involvement.

Posted January 27, 2005

I think that Ashford Park has grown and is still growing with the new teachers and changes. I have been vrey happy with the education as well as the teachers. I do see need for extracurricular activities within the school, but overall I feel Ashford Park has been a great experience so far.. :-)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

78 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

79 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

78 students were tested at this school in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

61 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

62 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

61 students were tested at this school in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

56 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Third Place - Divison I Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl (2012)
  • Third Pace - County Spelling Bee Winner (2012)
  • Honor Orchestra Participation (2012)

Special education / special needs

• Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Outdoor learning lab

School start time
  • 7:45 am
School end time
  • 2:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Dr. LaShawn McMillan
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • email PTA: ashfordparkpta@gmail.com
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Outdoor / Farm-based
  • Project-based
  • STEM
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Library
  • Outdoor learning lab
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Orchestra
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Provide School Tours
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor