Posted February 17, 2015
I was hesitant about sending my gifted child to a public school and seriously investigated private schools instead. I am very glad that I have my child at Henderson Mill. In addition to being the first elementary school in Georgia with STEM certification, Henderson Mill has a VERY strong Discovery (gifted) program. The school doesn't just pay lip service to its STEM program. The children have constant and ongoing emphasis on Sciences and Mathematics. The new principle is outstanding. He is very hands on when it comes to the education of the children within his school, going so far as to "race" the kids in mathmatics on a weekly basis. In addition, the gifted program is strongly emphasized and is a pull-out program. My gifted child is encouraged to excel both in the Discovery class and in the homeroom class. I would highly recommend that if you want a great, learning environment for your child, Henderson Mill is an excellent choice.
2 people found this helpful

Henderson Mill Elementary School 3

Posted February 02, 2015
Overall I think it's a good school but could use some improvements. I agree with a previous review that states that the school is not parent friendly. I have been emailing my son's 5th grade teacher for about a month now, requesting a conference and about homework. I have yet to get a response from her. I do not like that. I prefer to be involved in my child's schooling and not answering my emails or returning phone calls is not a good thing to me. We will be moving to Henry County in the next few weeks. Hopefully the new school will be better.
2 people found this helpful

Henderson Mill Elementary School 2

Posted October 21, 2014
This school is not parent friendly, too many attitudes and rudness around. Teachers lack of professionalism and communications skills. Very disappointed!
3 people found this helpful

Posted September 30, 2014
My son has been at HMES since kindergarten. He is in 2nd grade now. This school Is awesome. Friendly environment. My son could read perfectly in kindergarten. Thanks to his wonderful teachers. I LOVE this school and recommend it 100%

Posted April 03, 2014
With the help from Henderson Mill my daughter has excelled in learning to read, write and speak. She is in a special needs classroom and the teachers treat them with respect and take the time to adjust their teaching skills to help the children understand. They communicate on a regular bases to discuss whats working or NOT with my child, they included me in all around decision and help me understand why they came to a certain decision. They are professional at all times and they care for the well being of ALL children not just mine and in today's time that mean allot to ANY parent. The doctors did not think my daughter would speak and she is reading, writing and talking do to the help of the teachers. As a parent of a special needs child you have your moments when you melt down! But the teachers help build you back up and let you know your not in this fight alone and they help you along the way. Over and beyond is a under statement of the staff members and with all the things going on in the world this schools makes the world a better place and the safety of your child is never in question. I appreciate everything the schools does!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted March 28, 2014
HMES is a wonderful school. The teachers are fabulous and the new principal is very caring and involved (as was the previous principal). The parents are the icing on the cake. Parents are involved and make this school a community!

Posted March 27, 2014
HMES is a wonderful school, based in the neighborhood, with a great community and active parent involvement. The school was the first K-5 school in GA to become state STEM certified (Science Technology Engineering and Math). It has very dedicated teachers, a diverse population, and committed parents who organize night events, fund field trips, etc The school has PE everyday (rare in metro Atlanta), art, music, a dedicated science teacher, and all the special education teachers needed. You will not be disappointed if you send your children there. It also offers an active after school program with free activities, as well as other ones for a small fee. In 5th grade, students can choose band and/or orchestra. The gifted program is also a strength of the school. I love the discovery teacher who tries to expand the students' abilities and horizons even more. The biggest strength I see, is that teachers work together, teachers and parents also work together, and all the children benefit. A very good sign too, is that staff and teachers usually ask for their own children to come to this school!!

Henderson Mill Elementary School 4

Posted March 27, 2014
HMES is a great school. When we first looked at schools, we were hesitant to explore public school education, but have been absolutely delighted with our choice to attend HMES. Positives for us are the great teaching staff, wonderful leadership from the principal, well-kept facilities, art and music instruction and PE, a high expectation for student performance, a great gifted program, and many opportunities for parent involvement.

Posted September 04, 2013
Henderson Mill is an excellent school because of the wonderful principal and teachers! It is the first traditional public elementary school in the ENTIRE STATE of Georgia to be "STEM certified" by the State Dept. of Education. "STEM" is science, technology, engineering and math -- the school has incorporated fun LEGO and engineering projects, gardening activities, etc. into the curriculum. These enrichment activities engage the kids, and they don't even realize they are learning from them! Henderson Mill has an excellent pull-out gifted program as well -- I understand that Oak Grove doesn't pull out for gifted, so that is a real advantage at Henderson Mill. Don't be put off by its Title I status -- gifted students get wonderful support too, and the Title I status has provided funding for a full-time Science teacher. The gifted students at Henderson Mill do just as well on testing as those at Oak Grove, Briarlake, or Evansdale - don't just look at overall test scores. Because of its proximity to Emory, this is a diverse student body, with many cultures - great preparation for the global society. My kids have friends from China, India, Ethiopia. HMES is a hidden gem!

Henderson Mill Elementary School 4

Posted August 22, 2013
the school is close by at walking distance. the principal seems to be genuinely caring, so are the staff. it would be perfect if aftercare can serve more students.

Henderson Mill Elementary School
2408 Henderson Mill Rd NE, Atlanta, GA  30345
Last modified Henderson Mill Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Henderson Mill Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top