Atlanta, GA

Posted June 11, 2014
I used to go to this school. I had many great experiences. The teachers are amazing and the principle is very hard-working. I am very glad the German program came back because that was a big part of the magnet part. One of my favorite parts of Kittredge is the club days. I don't know what KMS would be without them. I really made a strong connection with my classmates and teachers going through this school. I really enjoyed this school and I am glad I went to it.

Posted April 28, 2014
My son won the lottery when he got to go to this school. The principal is energized to make this school and the children the best they can be. She strives for excellence in everything in the school and instills the same passion for excellence in the teachers and children. The teachers are responsive to the children and make learning fun. My son has excelled there and has really learned a lot. I look forward to two more years.

Kittredge Magnet School 4

Posted April 28, 2014
Kittredge provides a great learning environment for gifted students. My children have been challenged to turn in better quality work than they had at previous schools and as a result have become very conscientious about doing their best work! Kittredge could improve on having more of a welcoming environment when a parent/volunteer comes in to help. Also, the transition for 4th graders is very tough and I feel this could and should be improved.

Posted April 27, 2014
I graduated from Kittredge after being there for three years last summer. I can honestly say that getting into this school has been one of the most fortunate things to happen to me in my life so far. I had several teachers there that have made a huge impact on my life. Yes, there is a pretty large amount of homework, and I complained about it a lot to my parents while I went to school there. However, I learned how to manage my time, which is a VERY important thing to know how to do in middle school. The combination of hands-on learning experiences, fun activities, and amazing teachers make it a great school to send your child to.

Posted February 18, 2014
I used to go to KMS, and I loved it! The teachers really do care and I still have a strong connection with them even though I left. The kids there are very nice and typically get all of their work done. But, i'll warn you, I go to Chamblee Middle and it is a TERRIBLE school. Some of my teachers don't even know my name and we are already more than half way through the school year. Also, the other kids at the school seen dangerous and rowdy. Fights always break out in the middle of the hallway and you always have to just sort of be careful. It's weird not feeling safe in your own school. So, to summarize, definitely go to KMS if you get in but I would strongly recommend going back to a different middle and high school in the future.

Posted October 23, 2013
I used to go to Kittredge up until I left for Chamblee. I absolutely loved the school! Sure, I lived about 30-40 minutes away, but it was worth the drive! At first, I was really sad and angry I was leaving my home school and all of my elementary friends, but I soon dropped all regrets as soon as I went. All of my teachers were wonderful, helpful, caring, and overall engaged and made learning fun! I made so many friends that I love, and I felt that I belonged at Kittredge, and felt truly accepted. You are expected to be responsible and do your work. The pace is much faster, be prepared, and you'll get much more work! My elementary school never gave us a lot of work, and going to Kittredge and getting the work load was a shock. As I progressed, I grew to love Kittredge. We had over night field trips going to Rock Eagle in 4th and 6th grade, and Jekyll Island in 5th. The over night tips were a blast and gave me many good memories. Club days and other celebrations, like Pi Day, are just few of the many things Kittredge did to ensure we were having fun, as well as learn new things each and everyday! I really miss Kittredge, and would do anything to go back!

Kittredge Magnet School 4

Posted August 13, 2013
My daughter attended Kittredge for three years. Overal, it was a wonderful educational and life experience. It is important to note that the children who live on the south side of the county are at a disadvantage. They do not have the same opportunity for tutoring, after school activities and other extra curicular activities due to limited hours and travel distances. Unfortunately, some of the minority children felt the sting of discrimination. I explained to my daughter that she would have to realize this is the reality of the diverse world in which we live. I am glad she learned the lesson early. She now knows how she is percieved and can focus her energy on being a wonderful world citizen.

Posted August 12, 2013
Kittredge is a hard school. They give more homework and cover topics in far more depth than the average public school. Because of the accelerated pace, they have little ability to hand hold. Kids are expected to manage their time and complete their homework. Their philosophy is that if a child is struggling then they should go back to their home school and let another high achiever take a shot. That being said, every subject has a tutoring session once a week after school. My son was very nervous the first semester because there is always the specter that you could get kicked out for not maintaining a B average. They also have a monthly club day where the kids blow off steam by attending the Science Fiction Club, Board Game Club, Gardening Club or another of the 23 clubs during school. The kids really look forward to this. There is no community feeling because kids come from all over the county. Parents are less likely to volunteer because of the distances from home to school and consequently the PTA is always looking for volunteers. A student in our car pool last year replied that Kittredge was the first school where he really felt appreciated .

Kittredge Magnet School 2

Posted May 17, 2013
I was thrilled when my son got in through the lottery for fourth grade; however, since then, we have experienced teachers with no sense of accountability or follow-through, administrators who do no respond well to parent concerns, constant lack of or mis-communication, and an overall unwillingness to respond appropriately to parental concerns. I am completely flummoxed by a new set of rules put in place under the guise of tightening security after the Sandy Hook tragedy that do not in any concrete way deal with the very real security holes at the school but instead prevent parents and taxpayers from reasonable oversight of the teachers and administrators. In addition, they do seem to teach to the test and, despite their over inflated sense of themselves the teachers and administrative do not seem to infuse any creativity into the lessons. Given the way Kittredge teachers and administrators present themselves, I am very disappointed. My son is extremely unhappy and bored to tears. I am looking at other options for him. Hopefully, the new principal can inspire change and make Kittredge what it is rumored to be: a school of excellence.

Kittredge Magnet School 3

Posted December 18, 2012
We had high expectations for our 4th grader, but have been sadly disappointed. Students are from all over Dekalb so there is no sense of community or social interaction; there is no relevant PTA; the principal (who just resigned mid-year) is rarely seen or heard from; technology is dated and poor. The positives are the teachers, who are kind, caring and seem to love teaching, there is music instruction, and the class size is slightly smaller than other Dekalb schools. But in general we wish we had stayed at our neighborhood school - our child would be with his friends and he would be learning the exact same curriculum.

Kittredge Magnet School
1663 E Nancy Creek Dr NE, Atlanta, GA  30319
Last modified Kittredge Magnet School is a Public school that serves grades 4-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kittredge Magnet School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 46 reviews. Top