Posted December 08, 2014
I am a Sutton alum and I want to start off by saying that Sutton is a great school with a motivated staff who cares about its students and their futures. I wanted to write this review b/c, in reading other reviews, I was saddened to read the posts from students who have been bullied. Middle school, unfortunately, can be hard to deal with and downright scary for students who are bullied. As a school, the way to curb this is to support all of the students by promoting togetherness so they can see that they all deserve a quality education to better their lives. When I went to Sutton, labeling problem students as "ghetto" was common also, but this is not fair to them and it needs to stop. Middle school is a time where a lot of kids struggle to be accepted, and it is critical to their futures that they learn, despite differences, they all matter and they all are believed in. Students, don't place your classmates in a box by labeling them, as each of you are so much more than a name. Believe in yourself, treat others the way you want to be treated, and you will overcome your tough times and be a stronger person for it. You will make it!

Sutton Middle School 4

Posted September 25, 2014
I had a child at Sutton from 6-8, and my second child is in 7th grade. We have had an excellent experience all-round. My children have both been in the accelerated program, which is an entirely different experience than the mainstream program, or so I hear. I am glad for the diversity. Kids need to know how to relate on all levels, and this school certainly gives that opportunity. The only downside, really, is that there is a very large economically underprivileged element at Sutton, mixed with an almost-equal number of kids from a lot of privilege. There is an enormous divide, providing a perfect storm for some bad behavior. That's not a reason not to go. And not everyone from an economically challenging background exhibits bad behavior anymore than Buckhead Brats are all mannerly (and they can be the WORST). So it's a FANTASTIC school. You just have to learn some 'duck-and-dive.' But I highly recommend. It is an excellent private-school alternative. My 9th grader is at North Atlanta. So far, so (very) good.

Posted August 08, 2014
We have an eight-grader who loves Sutton and has performed well there. He is involved in clubs and sports and enjoys his classes and teachers. He is in all accelerated classes and has been challenged academically each year. I can't speak to the standard classes or to any disciple problems b/c we have had none. The student body is very diverse, which we love. He has met friends from Italy, Portugal, etc and has been exposed to life outside of this "Buckhead bubble". Take a tour and see if it's right for your child.

Sutton Middle School 3

Posted January 05, 2014
I'm an 8th grade student at Sutton, and the school is very average. The teachers there are for the most part good, but if you end up with a teacher that you don't like, i would recommend you do your best to switch class as early as possible in the school year. the administration is great. But when it comes to students, it's absolutely awful. It's a mix of superficial 'preppy' kids, and ghetto kids. There are few to none of the 'normal' ones. unless your child is going there from the beginning (6th grade), don't send him there, because it is really hard to adapt. Although this is an 'average' rating, i'm on the verge of rating it below average. Other than that, Sutton just moved into the old North Atlanta building, which is a really cool building.

Sutton Middle School 3

Posted December 20, 2013
I am a 7th grade student at sutton my year so far hasn't been great the teachers are really fantastic but most of the Kids are ether a bully themself are being bullied. I have issues with bullying this year 2 times the first time the assent principles did suspend the kid but the second time the teacher they called in made it fell as if it wad my fault and so the assent principles did nothing. Now if I have another billing issue I don't know wear to turn. So if you don't have to please don't inroll your child in sutton

Sutton Middle School 2

Posted October 04, 2013
I'm a student a sutton in 6th grade and I absolutely hate it! I'm in 6th grade and most of the kids are ghetto. No joke! They all cuss and do inappropriate things. I do love all the teachers there's not a problem with them but the students are terrible. I love the staff as well, Mr. Hudson, Mr. Cone, Ms. Miller ect. I would really wanna leave this school but all my very close friends go there. Also before you say I don't believe you with the whole "ghetto" thing then here's a story that happened a couple days ago. I was walking to carpool with my friends when all the sudden this kid runs out of his classroom with his teacher chasing after him, the student slaps the teacher and says many cuss words to her. Honestly, DO NOT put your child in sutton, they can get bullied, or even jumped. Again I love the teachers and the staff but the students are terrible

Posted September 29, 2013
I'm a student that goes to Sutton, and it's a very good school! The staff is super kind, and I made all kinds of friends! Wherever you look, people are there for you and willing to help.

Sutton Middle School 4

Posted August 16, 2013
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes.

Sutton Middle School 1

Posted May 07, 2013
My child is a studenthere at SMS. I would not recommend your kid here. Most of the teachers are great! But the students have no class, and most of them are ghetto. Random kids get jumped and bullied. There is a lot of drama here. The "principal" and administration care less about the students and more about their reputation and budget. Many of child's my friends have been in a situation where they have been bullied, harassed, and threatned and the bully said they were being bullied. Both of them were told not to talk about it ANYMORE. Now, the situation could get worse. If a kid can't get advice from their friends, what's the point? In conclusion, don't waste your time with the administration and go straight to the police or courthouse.

Posted April 15, 2013
My son attends sutton currently (7 grade) and really likes it. He is in challenge classes and although I don't really feel that he is being challenged to his highest potential he is still learning a lot. The band program is great! Mr. Denson (the band director) is wonderful. I have heard good things about the orchestra and chorus/guitar teachers as well. I am disapointed that we have to move.

Sutton Middle School
4875 Northside Dr. NW, Atlanta, GA  30305
Last modified Sutton Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sutton Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 104 reviews. Top