Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

It really depends on the teacher. There are wonderful teachers like Madame Zemmali (French) and Dr.Edwards (S.S) that are great teacher. But then there are less then stellar teachers, who having boring lesson plans and boring monotonousness assignments. There are a few teachers that have wonderful personalities but aren't good teachers. There is a point you go, is there anything other then worksheets they can give us.

Amount of homework: Disagree

There is a lot of homework. It can be overwhelming as a student to have to complete it. Some students just don't care enough to do it. I would love to see less homework.

Develops character: Disagree

As, I previously stated there is a discipline problem that needs to be addressed. The school is not necessarily at fault for every misbehaving student, but for some it is. As factors like home life and even the people they socialize with can have an effect on how they act. Some of the students are downright rude. These kids are in an environment that cultivates these behaviors.

Coming from a student currently at Sutton, Sutton is not the worst, but still not the best. This year we do have new leadership, a new principal, Ms.Johnson. Before you read the rest beware I am in all accelerated classes, and I score in the top 1-5% in testing. Homework in most classes, no matter what end of the spectrum, can be very overwhelming and with extracurricular activities it can be extremely overwhelming. There are some wonderful teachers, but there are also ones that can't seem to grasp the fact that they are here for us not the other way around. I would say there is a discipline problem. One thing about being at a public school is that anyone can come no matter what they've done. Daily, I hear many things that as a queer youth, I don't enjoy hearing at all. Being in advanced classes helps with separating yourself from immature adolescents, but you still have your connections classes where you can be with anyone. I personally love theater and might want a profession in the field later in life, but some of the people in that class are simply despicable. Some of my classmates have absolutely no respect for teachers and their own peers. You can't get through any connections class without having some badly taught 12 year old yelling out a profanity or interrupting the class in some manor. Even in some of my advanced classes, somehow there are under-performing children managing to stay in the class when they don't deserve it. There was a kid who was in my ELA class last year who only showed up about half the year, barely did any assignments and he somehow is in my advanced ELA class this year. There are many sports you an join, but most of them have tryouts in the same week, meaning if you don't get into a school team you have to go outside of school. Regarding musical theatre, there is a fall musical which also has tryouts the same week as sports. As its only the second month of school there may be more opportunities later but as of now if you don't get in the musical you have no other in school options. You can create a club but the process is so long and annoying. I am currently in the process of creating a club, but I would enjoy seeing that process made easier. There is definitely room for improvement. But there are worse schools across Georgia. If you even have an inkling of doubt about sending your child here, try for other schools.

If your child is not in the advanced classes don't send them here. This has been the worst year of our school career. My daughter is 6th grade and I regret not pursuing my other option of private school. This school focuses more on behavior correction and not educating the students. Thank God the end of the year is near. Needless to say we will NOT be attending 7th and 8th at Sutton. We were warned by other parents but chose to give it a try...what a big mistake. The assistant principal is a joke, don't ever go to him with an issue.

I have 6th graders at Sutton Middle School and they love it! The sports programs, art, music and club opportunities are amazing. The project based teaching and learning has really exceeded my expectations. I highly recommend it!

We have a 6th grader at Sutton and so far we have been very impressed! The learning style and teachers are very adaptive and therefore, my son is excelling. We came from an outstanding elementary in Cobb County and were a little nervous about transitioning to APS. So far, I have nothing but great things to say about the education my son is receiving.

Our oldest is in 6th grade this year and is doing wonderfully at Sutton! At first, he was overwhelmed by the workload, but has now learned how to manage his time effectively. He has made many new, very polite and well mannered friends and has a strong social network (probably too strong)! We continue to be impressed with his teachers, who expect a lot from him and hold him accountable. The quality of education is excellent and the many sports and clubs that Sutton offers is exceptional. He loves attending Sutton and we're glad we decided to give it a try!

BEWARE OF BULLYING AND FIGHTING! (Google: Sutton Middle 15 sec fight club) While I like the teachers at this school and my daughters are doing well academically, this school is full of bullies! My daughters are new to Sutton this school this year, 7th & 8th grade. Since they started they have been dealing with bullies and other children assaulting them. I've been to Sutton 4 times because of this issue. The administrators act like the children are angels and make all the excuses in the world for their reckless behavior. I've spoken to both the 7th & 8th grade Assistant principals on several occasions and I'm still dealing with the issues. I've even made a report with the school police officer. After writing a letter to the principal (I'm still waiting on an official response from him), A student recently assaulted my daughter again. I went up to the school furious, asking to speak with the Principal. He sends the receptionists back out to tell me that I need to take the matter up with the assistant principal. The asst. principal comes out again to speak with me, I explain to him that I would like to have a word with the principal since this is the 4th time I've spoken with both asst principals. The asst principal goes in the back office and comes back out saying "oh that's why he won't come out to speak with you because he's not here". Now, I could act like a mad woman and storm back there because clearly he was lying, but matters don't get resolved that way. Needless to say, I am furious and have grown a hatred for this school. Don't send your kids here!!

My son is a 7th grader at Sutton. So far so good. He attended Sutton in 6th grade as well and he is in the accelerated program. I love that his class sizes are small. He loves Sutton. He tried out for the football team and did not make it but desire to try again next year. Currently he is on the cross country team and is looking to join the Chess Club next week. He is excelling in all of his classes and is very disciplined about homework and staying on top of his assignments. There is a wide range of sports, clubs and activities to get involved in. The school is wonderfully diverse and the school facility is quite nice. I think Buck Greene is doing a fine job and the teachers are a committed bunch! Great job Sutton team!

Last modified Sutton Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.