Atlanta, GA
Students enrolled: 1,470

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted May 23, 2015
Teachers are incredibly inappropriate and ridicule certain students. For example, "You are just stupid." Or "you need to learn math so you won't have to work at McDonald 's like your parents. The students are taught to turn on each other and get each other in trouble for "brownie points" with teachers.

Sutton Middle School 1

Posted May 23, 2015
We are now going to another school. This has been the worst year of our lives.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted May 23, 2015
They could be but they're too caught up in politics and their own personal issues. They are never there, even when they are. Just try to get anyone to answer the phone or an email. I don't know what they're doing, but it's not teaching.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted May 23, 2015
Every single class sends homework every single day. You do the math. They don't get home until 4:30-5:00.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted May 23, 2015
The teachers and administrators do not respect the students or themselves. The whole school has become like "Lord of the Flies".

Posted February 11, 2015
My son is a student at Sutton and he and I both love this school. His teachers are amazing and he is doing better than he has in a long time. I was concerned that being a quiet kid he might get picked on but that has not been the case. I am so happy we came to this school.

Posted December 08, 2014
I am a Sutton alum and I want to start off by saying that Sutton is a great school with a motivated staff who cares about its students and their futures. I wanted to write this review b/c, in reading other reviews, I was saddened to read the posts from students who have been bullied. Middle school, unfortunately, can be hard to deal with and downright scary for students who are bullied. As a school, the way to curb this is to support all of the students by promoting togetherness so they can see that they all deserve a quality education to better their lives. When I went to Sutton, labeling problem students as "ghetto" was common also, but this is not fair to them and it needs to stop. Middle school is a time where a lot of kids struggle to be accepted, and it is critical to their futures that they learn, despite differences, they all matter and they all are believed in. Students, don't place your classmates in a box by labeling them, as each of you are so much more than a name. Believe in yourself, treat others the way you want to be treated, and you will overcome your tough times and be a stronger person for it. You will make it!

Sutton Middle School 4

Posted September 25, 2014
I had a child at Sutton from 6-8, and my second child is in 7th grade. We have had an excellent experience all-round. My children have both been in the accelerated program, which is an entirely different experience than the mainstream program, or so I hear. I am glad for the diversity. Kids need to know how to relate on all levels, and this school certainly gives that opportunity. The only downside, really, is that there is a very large economically underprivileged element at Sutton, mixed with an almost-equal number of kids from a lot of privilege. There is an enormous divide, providing a perfect storm for some bad behavior. That's not a reason not to go. And not everyone from an economically challenging background exhibits bad behavior anymore than Buckhead Brats are all mannerly (and they can be the WORST). So it's a FANTASTIC school. You just have to learn some 'duck-and-dive.' But I highly recommend. It is an excellent private-school alternative. My 9th grader is at North Atlanta. So far, so (very) good.

Posted August 08, 2014
We have an eight-grader who loves Sutton and has performed well there. He is involved in clubs and sports and enjoys his classes and teachers. He is in all accelerated classes and has been challenged academically each year. I can't speak to the standard classes or to any disciple problems b/c we have had none. The student body is very diverse, which we love. He has met friends from Italy, Portugal, etc and has been exposed to life outside of this "Buckhead bubble". Take a tour and see if it's right for your child.

Sutton Middle School 4

Posted April 18, 2014
This school has been a great opportunity for my grandson future. He's doing well and could be doing better but this is not do to the schools but I want my grandson to set larger goals for himself.

2875 Northside Dr. NW, Atlanta, GA  30305
Last modified Sutton Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sutton Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 54 reviews. Top