Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted May 22, 2016
Cooper Middle School is an outstanding school. It is the only middle school in Cobb County that is STEM certified. Even prior to them receiving this certification, this school has amazed me and exceeded my expectations to a level where I feel so blessed and grateful! Dr Watkins is incredible! That STEM program (science, technology, engineering, math) is so intriguing and has blown me away several times! Please understand. My daughter went to Cooper from Powder Springs Elementary (another great school that, much like Cooper, is blessed with extremely talented teachers and administration). My family is zoned for Cooper and I, honestly, had concerns about her future education there. However, instead of following old and outdated negative reports about Cooper, I went to Cooper, by myself, and checked things out for myself. I asked for curriculum, background information about the teachers, met with teachers, explored classrooms, etc. They were not expecting me, however, were elated that I took the time to come and check them out in this way. And, much to my great surprise, they went out of their way to give me everything (and them some) that I had asked for. I walked out of that school thrilled and so excited about my daughter's future here. It's been 2 years, she's been in all AC (advanced content) courses since she's been here, she is now going to 8th grade, my younger daughter is going to 6th. This school has impressed me over and over and over again. Extensive study of spinal cord injuries, genetics, Punnet squares, forensics, well-prepared trip to Shepherd Center, programming and 3D printing, amazing mathematics, and social studies projects that would make a child NEVER forget the content, and top-of-the-line Orchestra class, ran by the amazingly talented Mr Justin Owen-Head! The support the students receive is unprecedented! Acknowledgements, t-shirts for like every occasion, goodies, gadgets, many extra curricular activities. And EVERY SINGLE SUNDAY OF THE ENTIRE SCHOOL YEAR Dr Watkins send weekly callouts/emails with updates and reminders so parents and children are ALWAYS in the know. During testing time, the call outs are daily with words of encouragement and wake up calls. Really??? ... (continued, see next)...

Cooper Middle School
Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 22, 2016
Mrs Carol Mickus. You are a blessing from God Himself to these children (and their parents). I honesty do not know what more to say at this time other than I am so very grateful that my daughter has encountered you here at Cooper Middle and we sincerely appreciate the awesome person that you are. You re an outstanding educator and has positively impacted my child's life in a way that she will not soon forget, or EVER forget. Thank you, and God bless you always...

Posted May 08, 2015
Was not happy with this school for my child, nor the unsafe environment would not recommend this school to anyone. Classes are overcrowded which makes hard for learning. Kids are exposed to a lot of negative situations. Regret sending my child to this school.

Cooper Middle School 2

Posted May 07, 2014
This school has the potential to be a GREAT school. There are many things standing in the way. Many of the teachers are devoted to the students, but a large number are there simply to collect a check. I've witnessed the students being yelled at, I agree with a previous post. The principal talks the talk but fails at walking the walk. Hopefully they can get their act together before my son has graduated from here.

Cooper Middle School 4

Posted January 23, 2014
We have had an EXCELLENT experience at Cooper! My son's educational foundation started at a Public Charter school and Cooper has been able to challenge him over the past 3 years (6-8 grades). He has participated in Advanced Content courses in Math, Science and English all three years. They have added a STEM course to the curriculum and my son Loves it! He has been all A or AB Honor Roll all three years and is a member of the Beta Club. Cooper is working to become a STEM certified school, but it also emphasis Arts; therefore they are naming the program STEAM!! Cooper exceeded our expectation and Vanessa Watkins has rose to the occasion as principal for the last three years by encouraging more staff members to become Advanced Content certified and being transparent with parents (i.e.- monthly Chat and Chew meetings with the Principal). Johnson Family

Posted January 08, 2014
I attended Cooper Middle School for my 6th-8th grade year. The children there are wannabe ghetto and that prevented good learning. Some of the teachers could care less about teaching. I really wish I hadn't wasted three years there. It has its good points but the bad out weigh the good.

Cooper Middle School 4

Posted December 11, 2013
Initially I was apprehensive about my child attending Cooper Middle School. Nevertheless I couldn't afford private education. My child attended the mini summer camp,an overview of the upcoming school year. I was very impressed and Dr. Anderson took the time to notice my sons potential! I still remained guarded, after all that was only summer camp! Of course luck fell in my lap-not good luck. MY son was bullied by one of his peers and I saw red! Prior to speaking with administration-I had my mind made up to withdraw my son from the school! To my surprise ,administration handled it before God had the news! They were very professional and diffused the situation before it turned into a fire. My son continues to excel academically and receive great support from his AC. teachers. They empowered him and his challenges grew into positive motivation by building on his strengths! DR. Porter, Mr. Caldwell , Mrs Sumlin, Mrs. Mickus ad well as the literacy teachers are phenomenal! Many thanks lolthey continue to be supportive even though I flood their emails!oh did I mention that my son is in Beta Club Science Olympiad the STEM program! #sohappyhesatcooper

Posted March 12, 2013
The principal herself must have sent the last three reviews. I had my child at the school last year and I found he principal to be a micro managing bully. As a parent I saw her unprofessionally treat members of her staff badly( talking down at them). My child and many of his friends did not like the principal and the way she treated them. As the school year went on, the school behavior problems got worse and worse. There were some good people at the school but they were over shadowed by the over all group of staff members that did not have the patience, nor care genuinely for the concerns of the students. It was one of the worst situations I ever saw as a parent. The principal seemed concerned with her own self image and tried to be a tough talker to the students. Like tough love. Just without the the love part. What was said and what was done around the school were 2 different things. What you saw on the surface was not the true about the school. Kids now days can tell a fake when they see one. If you want to really know about the school, ask the kids in the neighborhood who attend there. When my child was there, they had an excellent PTA president. The Principal got rid of her.

Posted April 23, 2012
Cooper Middle School is devoted to students. The teachers are very passionate about what they do and most volunteer their time to help students expand their knowledge and interests. The Fine Arts department which comprises of Band, Chorus, Orchestra, and Visual Art is one of the best and students regularly place in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd positions when in competition. The school also offers FREE busing for students interested in one of the 30 clubs that are volunteered by faculty members. Over 12% of the school population is involved in clubs. The number of faculty members at CMS with at least a Master s degree surpasses that of both the district and the state of Georgia. Cooper Middle School has met AYP for the past three years and is on track to meet AYP for this school year. The school recognizes student achievement by hosting quarterly academic assemblies, and monthly student breakfasts. Overall, this is a phenomenal place to learn and the faculty is happy and excited to be here. The school leadership of new principal Dr. Watkins is amazing and she widely respected and admired by the faculty, students, and the community.

Posted March 30, 2012
At Cooper Middle School the word "change" is evident. The new principal - Dr. Watkins exemplifies transformational leadership. There are excellent teachers throughout the school - from academics to orchestra. Let me say also the band and orchestra programs are one of the best in the county! Parent involvement is directly related to student success - Cooper's PTSA, Student Council and Cooper Foundation are some of the vehicles driving parent engagement. Great things are happening at Cooper. Dr. Watkins is passionate about students having equal access to a quality education. She has raised the expectation bar for all.

Cooper Middle School
4605 Ewing Rd, Austell, GA  30106
Last modified Cooper Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.