Cooper Middle School 2

Posted May 07, 2014
This school has the potential to be a GREAT school. There are many things standing in the way. Many of the teachers are devoted to the students, but a large number are there simply to collect a check. I've witnessed the students being yelled at, I agree with a previous post. The principal talks the talk but fails at walking the walk. Hopefully they can get their act together before my son has graduated from here.

Posted January 23, 2014
We have had an EXCELLENT experience at Cooper! My son's educational foundation started at a Public Charter school and Cooper has been able to challenge him over the past 3 years (6-8 grades). He has participated in Advanced Content courses in Math, Science and English all three years. They have added a STEM course to the curriculum and my son Loves it! He has been all A or AB Honor Roll all three years and is a member of the Beta Club. Cooper is working to become a STEM certified school, but it also emphasis Arts; therefore they are naming the program STEAM!! Cooper exceeded our expectation and Vanessa Watkins has rose to the occasion as principal for the last three years by encouraging more staff members to become Advanced Content certified and being transparent with parents (i.e.- monthly Chat and Chew meetings with the Principal). Johnson Family

Cooper Middle School 1

Posted January 08, 2014
I attended Cooper Middle School for my 6th-8th grade year. The children there are wannabe ghetto and that prevented good learning. Some of the teachers could care less about teaching. I really wish I hadn't wasted three years there. It has its good points but the bad out weigh the good.

Posted December 11, 2013
Initially I was apprehensive about my child attending Cooper Middle School. Nevertheless I couldn't afford private education. My child attended the mini summer camp,an overview of the upcoming school year. I was very impressed and Dr. Anderson took the time to notice my sons potential! I still remained guarded, after all that was only summer camp! Of course luck fell in my lap-not good luck. MY son was bullied by one of his peers and I saw red! Prior to speaking with administration-I had my mind made up to withdraw my son from the school! To my surprise ,administration handled it before God had the news! They were very professional and diffused the situation before it turned into a fire. My son continues to excel academically and receive great support from his AC. teachers. They empowered him and his challenges grew into positive motivation by building on his strengths! DR. Porter, Mr. Caldwell , Mrs Sumlin, Mrs. Mickus ad well as the literacy teachers are phenomenal! Many thanks lolthey continue to be supportive even though I flood their emails!oh did I mention that my son is in Beta Club Science Olympiad the STEM program! #sohappyhesatcooper

Posted May 22, 2013
My daughter came late in the school year and initially we did have some hiccups. I must say the Principle and the 6th grade Administrator does really care about the students at Cooper Middle. I am very impressed with the various programs available at this school. My daughter loved her Math teacher Mrs. Moore who goes of her way to make sure kids understand math. Don't believe all the bad reviews regarding this school. Their is negative issues in every school. I attended the awards ceremony yesterday and watched kids from 6th and 7th grade receive numerous awards in their academics which goes to show you that kids are thriving at Cooper Middle.

Cooper Middle School 1

Posted March 12, 2013
The principal herself must have sent the last three reviews. I had my child at the school last year and I found he principal to be a micro managing bully. As a parent I saw her unprofessionally treat members of her staff badly( talking down at them). My child and many of his friends did not like the principal and the way she treated them. As the school year went on, the school behavior problems got worse and worse. There were some good people at the school but they were over shadowed by the over all group of staff members that did not have the patience, nor care genuinely for the concerns of the students. It was one of the worst situations I ever saw as a parent. The principal seemed concerned with her own self image and tried to be a tough talker to the students. Like tough love. Just without the the love part. What was said and what was done around the school were 2 different things. What you saw on the surface was not the true about the school. Kids now days can tell a fake when they see one. If you want to really know about the school, ask the kids in the neighborhood who attend there. When my child was there, they had an excellent PTA president. The Principal got rid of her.

Posted April 23, 2012
Cooper Middle School is devoted to students. The teachers are very passionate about what they do and most volunteer their time to help students expand their knowledge and interests. The Fine Arts department which comprises of Band, Chorus, Orchestra, and Visual Art is one of the best and students regularly place in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd positions when in competition. The school also offers FREE busing for students interested in one of the 30 clubs that are volunteered by faculty members. Over 12% of the school population is involved in clubs. The number of faculty members at CMS with at least a Master s degree surpasses that of both the district and the state of Georgia. Cooper Middle School has met AYP for the past three years and is on track to meet AYP for this school year. The school recognizes student achievement by hosting quarterly academic assemblies, and monthly student breakfasts. Overall, this is a phenomenal place to learn and the faculty is happy and excited to be here. The school leadership of new principal Dr. Watkins is amazing and she widely respected and admired by the faculty, students, and the community.

Posted March 30, 2012
At Cooper Middle School the word "change" is evident. The new principal - Dr. Watkins exemplifies transformational leadership. There are excellent teachers throughout the school - from academics to orchestra. Let me say also the band and orchestra programs are one of the best in the county! Parent involvement is directly related to student success - Cooper's PTSA, Student Council and Cooper Foundation are some of the vehicles driving parent engagement. Great things are happening at Cooper. Dr. Watkins is passionate about students having equal access to a quality education. She has raised the expectation bar for all.

Posted February 29, 2012
Even though Cooper is looked upon as a bad school to those who havn't even step foot in the school i think now that uniforms have been placed and the excellent new principle Dr. Watkins and the very surprising turn over of the PTSA, Cooper is on its way to a school of excellence. I think all Cooper needs is a chance and mor parent invovle ment i look forward to my daughters last 2 years here .

Posted April 24, 2009

Cooper Middle School
4605 Ewing Rd, Austell, GA  30106
Last modified Cooper Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cooper Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top