Posted March 25, 2014
My previous report about my son's experience at Avondale changed to be unfruitful. My son was unable to focus in the class setting. The class size was 34 students. Student withdrawals occurred every other week. No phonics was being taught. The list was always given at the end of the day. He received challenged words and work but it was considered busy work and a level above third. There was no consistency in foundation of the material taught and reviewed. My son told me they were tested on something every other week or day. I also volunteered once a week and noticed the same kids in the office because teachers could not manage them. The office secretary became the disciplinary person. The kids sent out of the classes were mostly boys. To me, this is disturbing. We have predominately women teachers and lacking male teachers who are effective. What does that say to our boys' future? There need to be interactive and challenging curriculums that involve everyday experience. Change is needed. After careful observation, I withdrew my son from the second grade school year in December and we are playing catch up on what he lost and did not learn.

Avondale Elementary School 3

Posted December 24, 2013
My children have attended Avondale for two years now. It seems to be ok. My daughter is learning to work hard and the understanding that grades are not going to be given to you. You have to work hard which she does. My son on the other hand is very smart and intelligent but the immediate staff over him doesn't have the patience to help him be all he can be. I've asked for a change but was told the teacher he have is great. Well I'm not convinced of that considering my son is there in her presence everyday and I am in constant communication with the teacher. She has such a negative perception of him I know the quality of his education is being affected. Still pushing to have him removed out the class before he lags behind in the curriculum. So I'm half and half on this school. I would like to see more hands on projects/field trips to help build the IB portion of the school. My children and me agree they haven't developed this program enough and that was the main reason we changed to this school.

Avondale Elementary School 2

Posted June 05, 2013
My child has completed the 5th grade at this school, we kept him here because of work schedules, I won't the best for my child and this was not it. There is not enough space for me to write all the negatives about this school, however it starts with administration. Ms. Malone would have been great as my teacher/principal, however times have changed and our children are not getting a real educational experience. Not CCRT! 3/4 of school year. CHANGE is the ANSWER.

Posted November 13, 2012
As a parent of a kindergartner, I was amazed at the lack of education provided in the first few weeks of school. She was given class work and homework that she learned in preschool, let alone Pre-K. I understand teachers have to teach the class and not just one student. However, if thats an introduction to the elementary program, it tells me the bar is being lowered for all the remaining classes as well. Test scores don't lie. I spoke with her teacher and principal regarding the curriculum, I was referred to a website which gave me the basics on the school board's website. Her teacher seemed to be bothered by my interest in my child's work. The principal sensed my frustration and said she would ensure my child will do well. She had her tested the next day and placed her in the gifted program. I immediately withdrew her to a neighboring charter school. The curriculum is like night and day. She went from learning how to 'trace the letters of her name'..again, to writing assignments that involve answering questions of reading comprehension.

Posted June 06, 2011
Why did the principal not want parent participation and involvement!? The parents tried to no avail. This resulted in a mass exodus and the begining of The Museum School (Charter School) = tremendous success and bettter for the children and parents. Most principals care enough and appreciate parent participation. Most students thrive and do well with parents who care enought to want to be involved.

Avondale Elementary School 5

Posted May 06, 2011
This school is an awesome example of fine leadership and high quality education. Principal Malone and the faculty work hard to pursue excellence under the designation of the International Baccalaureate program. My son has thrived and although he is only in k5 he is reading well beyond his grade level.

Posted January 14, 2011
This school is not what it portrays itself to be. The IB program was presented as a higher achievers program along with the traditional elementary curriculum. My son transferred from a Magnet School to this school. The entire school year thus far we have been disappointed. Classrooms have been combined; my son's first semester grades were lost, and we have to give him additional work at home so he won't regress. The teachers do their best with what they have been given, but this school is not an optimal learning environment for higher achievers. The principal will lure you in with the philosophy of the school, but that is all it is, nothing tangible follows.

Avondale Elementary School 5

Posted July 21, 2009

Posted March 21, 2008

Avondale Elementary School 4

Posted August 25, 2006
My child just started at this school and so far so good. The teachers seem very dedicated and enthusiastic.

Avondale Elementary School
10 Lakeshore Dr, Avondale Estates, GA  30002
Last modified Avondale Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Avondale Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top