Avery Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted January 27, 2014

They used to provide an appropriate education for special education students, but due to budget cuts, they are providing sub par education to these children. Resource class sizes are above state regulations. They are combining 3 levels of classes, which is not appropriate! How can a 3rd grader be taught with 5th graders!? Shame on you Cherokee County Special Education department. I guess they are waiting for a lawsuit. This is a shame!

Posted November 11, 2013

The test scores speaks for itself on this school. What a wonderful school! Teachers are well educated and very involved. Principal is very visible. I love that most teacher have there master degree.

Posted November 11, 2013

I love this school. The teacher are excellent and way over qualified. The staff is helpful. The parent involvement is so great! I can't say enough about this school!

Posted October 6, 2013

Ordinary. Such a simple word but not one that bode's well for your child's achievement in school. Avery is an ordinary elementary school that only strives to move on average students. They hold back way too many kids pointing the blame for this on the parents & child. Instead of where it should lie. Squarely on the teachers and ultimately the entire school system for their mandated teaching approach.

Posted March 20, 2013

There is something special going on at Avery. Our kids are challenged, excited and motivated to do well and see school as a place to enjoy and contribute. When I have opportunity to visit the school, I am always struck by how positive and giving the entire school community is toward one another. Parents are welcomed. Children care for one another. Teachers are clearly invested and care about their school and their students. The administration participates. I have been to several award ceremonies or other school-related functions outside of Avery (at other venues, county-level events, etc.). I ALWAYS see Avery administration and faculty attending these events well outside of school hours. Our children experience differentiated curricula and are consistently receiving individualized attention. We have experience in the private school environment and though the class sizes were smaller (a clear benefit), the overall experience did not compete...lots of hype and propaganda. Avery is focused simply on educating and doing so for the whole child. Parent-teacher communication is excellent. We love the school and are blessed to be able to send our kids there.

Posted March 15, 2013

Avery is like a private school without the huge expense! The teachers, leadership and academic programs are fantastic. Parents are always welcome to volunteer and the school strives to be part of the community through PTA events as well as children being able to use the wonderful outside facilities. Go Cubs!!

Posted March 13, 2013

This is our first year at Avery after being at a private school for several years. We are so glad that we made the switch! Avery has exceeded our expectations in so many ways. Their teachers are wonderful, and it is so obvious that they really know our children's personalities and learning styles. The Principal and Assistant Principals are always friendly and smiling and available if you need them. Avery has lots of great parents who love the school and love to be involved. Both of our kids have been challenged academically more than they did in our previous school. Our kids are happy and love their school!

Posted March 11, 2013

I have a kindergartener at Avery Elementary. This is my first experience with my child in school, we have had a great experience so far. My child is reading in Kindergarten, and doing advanced math for her age. I am very happy with our teacher and her ability to recognize my child's aptitude and push it to the limit. There are so many volunteer opportunities at Avery, and I am always welcome to eat lunch with my child whenever I want. I feel very welcome here. The staff and administration are also very friendly. Couldn't say enough good things. Thank you for a wonderful experience.

Posted March 6, 2013

Our family has been at Avery since it was first created. We have had such a wonderful experience each year. First with my son who is now in 7th grade and now my daughter who is in 3rd. The teachers are very caring and give a warm and loving environment to the students. I feel very welcome each time I help volunteer whether it be in the library or classroom. I love the small town feel of the school even though we are a large school. There is a great sense of community among the teachers, parents, and students.

Posted March 5, 2013

We have had very positive experiences at Avery. I am one of many active volunteers at the school. I'm there often and I always feel welcome and appreciated. The Avery volunteers are a friendly, well organized group. It's easy to get involved at any level. My 3 children have had outstanding teachers. All public schools are facing tight budgets and crowded classrooms. Avery teachers put the kids first and handle those challenges in thoughtful and creative ways. They extend themselves beyond what I would expect to make sure that students get what they need. They care about my children and their academic success. The communication has been excellent on all levels. I love that I can email the teachers and get a quick response to any questions or concerns. We were at a private school for 3 years before moving to Avery. Before we switched, we visited. We took a tour and met with the principal and staff. We were very impressed with everything we saw and heard. The school has more than met our high expectations. Putting our kids there has been one of the best decisions we've made.

Posted March 3, 2013

This school is Great! My children and I felt welcome from day one. Superb Teachers!!! Very friendly staff! Parents are VERY welcome as volunteers! Can't say enough great things about Avery Elementary!!!

Posted April 20, 2012

This school is awful. Was previously at Hickory Flat and got rezoned to Avery when it opened. How bad could a new school be? Boy was I wrong! The administration runs it like a prison for elementary kids with no logic and treat parents as the enemy. They reinforce teachers poor performance and inability to teach and serve their students with more of the same. There is no creativity allowed. Currently searching for a private school or considering moving into the Hickory Flat zone. Avery is staffed with amateurs. What a shame.

Posted April 19, 2012

This school has not lived up to its reputation. It has been a horrible school year. The classes are too large, the teachers are overwhelmed and the principal is totally out of touch with her school. The parents are not welcome there and the vice-principal is out right rude to parents. So unfortunate!

Posted March 17, 2012

Both of my kids (K and 2nd) have only went to this school. I love this school. Parent involvement is awesome, the staff has always been attentive and friendly, and carpool is organized. We are about to move into another school district and comparing the two schools has made me want to petition to stay here.

Posted July 22, 2011

Love Avery Elementary! Parents very involved, school very spirited. Can come and have lunch with my child any day. PTA puts on some great events. Only complaint my kids have is about a 'mean' art teacher (this is from 4 of my kids). My only complaint is the turnover from top administrators, who were all excellent. New principal is not as visible. My kids are getting an above average education in a public school and are benefiting from a unique technique in responsibility in actions through 'love and logic'.

Posted February 28, 2011

We have 2 children at Avery and they love the school. We had one bad experience in the 4 years we have had a child there, and it was rectified by the administration promptly. I read some of the other reviews, and I am baffled at those experiences. Most of the teachers at Avery left other schools when it opened, and most came from the better schools in the County, and were reagrded as the "better" teachers from those schools.

Posted February 17, 2011

I have found the Teachers my older has had to be grouchy, rude, and downright discouraging -- not just to me -- more importantly, the students! I have had not one positive experience interacting with them. My poor girl must be very unlucky. My younger daughter has had a great teacher in the 1st grade, but this daughter is not the one who needs the extra attention. I have also requested to speak to a member of administration about possible dyslexia testing for my older daughter. None of my requests for contact have been returned. I hate it. I want to take them elsewhere...

Posted August 17, 2010

My daughter attended Avery for three years and currently attends Creekland Middle. All three years we had teachers that were very devoted to their students. My daughter's reading skills improved greatly. The principal was very visible and accessible. I was very involved as a volunteer as were many other parents. My only negative experience involved the front office staff.

Posted August 10, 2010

We are EXTREMELY disappointed. Very unwelcoming and unfriendly staff. Principal is not visible. Overcrowded school.

Posted March 22, 2010

We have had a wonderful experience at Avery. The teachers have been World Class and the administrators are VERY Professional. It actually feels like a private school. The facility is top notch. I would highly recommend this school to anyone. Please don't listen to the other reviews. I don't think they would be happy at any school.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

187 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

188 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

187 students were tested at this school in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

198 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

199 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

198 students were tested at this school in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

192 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

195 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

193 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

198 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

197 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

201 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

201 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

179 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

178 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

180 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

187 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

187 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

189 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

6391 E Cherokee Dr