Stonewall Tell Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted August 13, 2014

Love the administrative staff at Stonewall Tell. My boys are in 2nd and 1st grade and from the first day of Mrs. Chester's I knew the teachers had a high expectation of their students and the parents. An 18 page homework packet seemed a little extreme but watching my 5 year old who only knew how to spell and use basic words start talking about how amazing and spectacular his day at school was I began to push myself harder. He's now on a 5th grade reading level at the age of 7, my 1st grader is a money counting machine and is on a 2nd grade reading level. NDoors are locked at the school and you have to get buzzed in , then take a picture and have your visitor badge printed so the front office staff is aware of who's visiting the school. The parents are very involved here also. At least half the students in a class will have parents visiting on days when projects are presented and the open door policy is great. Last year the first grade team had an author alley day and we sat in a circle snapping fingers as students read a chapter from the books they had created in class. Technology and videos/songs are moderately used. SWTE has me wanting to elem. all over again.

Posted May 10, 2014

Outstanding school. We have been there for six years now and I have no complaints. The Principal and his Administrative staff are caring, attentive and properly tough. I have seen them work with children on the autism spectrum in ways that astounds me since that is not their real job. They know the children and deal with behavioral problems appropriately. They stress education and the process. They remind the children that they are responsible for what they get out of the education process. I would highly recommend this school.

Posted March 25, 2014

My children have been students here for two years. I have concerns. Administrators are not warm and welcoming to parents, often avoiding eye contact and ignoring kind greetings. Teachers wear a stern, unapproachable expression, avoiding parent engagement as well. For the second year in a row, my children do not come home with graded work (often only 1 packet at the end of each term) and I have no idea how they are doing until the report cards come home. There is zero communication from the teachers via email, notes home, graded work, etc. I have worked and volunteered in their classrooms consistently, usually about once per week. Despite this frequency, teachers have failed to communicate with me. I learned on my daughter's most recent report card that she is not turning in homework (though we complete homework every evening), has missed a test (she has perfect attendance), and had a grade drop from an A to a C (How?). I had no prior knowledge of any of this and was never given the opportunity to help her improve. Sadly this has been the norm for two years. My only evidence that my children are learning well has been their superior performance on the CRCTs.

Posted January 24, 2014

I am taking some time off from teaching from STES to be a stay-at-home-mom, but I know the community in the school is warm and friendly. The principal expects the most from us and is supportive of our endeavors. I genuinely enjoyed my experience teaching there and when I tour other schools now for my daughter, I MISS this school. The students are expected to behave, have good manners, and do the best they can do!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 17, 2013

I agree with the parent who posted on Feb 15, 2011. My child has attended this school for 3 years and though he gets decent grades, I have had problems with 2 out of his 3 teachers. I feel that the school is overrated as well. If you are a parent who is truly looking at the performance of a school, please look at the Georgia Department of education website. It shows the school reports which indicate the score percentages of students who don't meet, meet or exeeds the CRCT and other test scores. You can also see the best and worst CCRPI school scores for 2012 on the AJC website. Stonewall tell PTA does put on alot of activities for the kids which I like but based on the school scores and rank for the entire state, Stonewall Tell is just slighly above average. One other place to check school data is the Georgia Policy Foundation website which for 2010 ranked Stonewall tell at 797 out of 1219 schools in GA for 3rd grade CRCT scores and 502 for 5th grade CRCT scores. Please do your research and don't rely solely on website reviews. I am very involved with tutoring my child at home and though the school is at least average, the success of my child is a team effort.

Posted May 15, 2013

I am a Parent of a Kindergarterner at STES and I absolutely LOVE this school! My son's teacher is an absolute gem, the administration is wonderful, the communication is top notch, and the additional programs at the school for family involvement is outstanding. I enjoy seeing the updates of the accomplishments that students in the other grades are meeting with CRCT scores, Digital Projects, as well as other accomplishments that are taking place in the community. The administration supports parental involvement not just within the school, but for the entire South Fulton educational corridor - which shows that parents can and do make a difference.

Posted March 24, 2013

I love this school.Everything about this school is amazing.The teachers,custodians,cafeteria workers,and the rest of the staff make you feel like family. During my time at stone wall tell there was never any fights.The principal is very involved with the school,and you can see him in the hallways any day. This school has top notch teachers.This school has the best field days ever. I highly recommend this school to everyone. I wish this school was (K-12) because its so amazing

Posted December 20, 2011

This is a great elementary school! I'm a freshman in highschool now and I loved that school so much! The teachers were great and it was just an overall good experience there.

Posted August 9, 2011

Stonewall Tell has been a very challenging yet wonderful experience for me and my children. My kids have attended 2 years (going on 3) there and they have had great teachers. I have met wonderful parents who are very involved with the school and who share similar academic views when it comes to their child's education. The teachers and afterschool personal have done a nice job helping to teach and shape my children academically and socially. They have different excellerated programs to push your child academically as well as extra-curricular activities such as dance and sports. Be perpared to work hard and work long completing all the homework and special projects assignments.

Posted February 15, 2011

The school is pretty ok. However, I believe it is a little overrated. The students are expected to stay quiet all day long. It doesn't feel like a balance between academics and school fun. I disagree with some of the comments about the teachers being nice and helpful. Some of the teachers are rude and they fuss for a good portion of the day. (At least my children's teachers do). The morning announcements put you to sleep before the day begins. It seems like the school is in competition with the surrounding schools. Besides the minor things, overall, the school is very good. There is lots of parent participation during afterschool events. The principal has high expectations and the students are well mannered. They keep you well informed about events happening at school. School could be better and has lots of potential!!

Posted November 9, 2010

The teachers are always sooo helpful and have really added a level of substance to my daughter and son life. Very professional

Posted October 20, 2010

A school is only is great as it's leader. The principal is dedicated and committed to the success of the students and this leadership transcends through the teachers and the results are evident.

Posted October 19, 2010

Stonewall Tell is a great place for learning. My child receives the individualized instruction he needs for success.

Posted October 12, 2010

I'm a parent of a student that attends Stonewall Tell and I love how my daughter has excelled academically since enrolling her there. We first came to Stonewall Tell when my daughter was in second grade are now at the start of her fifth grade school year, and I couldn't be more pleased! I especially like the way her teachers have taken a genuine interest in my daughter, a concept I believe has flowed from the top down as Principal Flounnory too exhibits this same sense of commitment and compassion. Additionally, I believe my daughter has benefitted tremendously from the S.T.Y.L.E (Stonewall Tell Young Ladies of Excellence) monthly mentoring meetings where she has had an opportunity to get useful etiquette, morals and life skills reiterated in a fun filled environment amongst peers. Overall, I'm excited about the great things happening at Stonewall Tell. Please, keep up the good work!

Posted October 12, 2010

STES is fabulous! A 360 approach to education. When you walk in the door, you can feel the love and dedication the teachers, parents, administration and students put into the school.

Posted October 12, 2010

The teachers are great, they all go beyond the call of duty!!

Posted October 12, 2010

I love this school because they teach my child as if she were their own. I try to volunteer as much as possible and not just for my child's current teacher. I also try to volunteer for my child's past teachers

Posted October 11, 2010

This school has definetely kept my kids above where they should be on an educational level. having come from private school; this elementary school was a definite fit.

Posted October 11, 2010

Stonewall Tell has the BEST elementary principal in the entire Fulton county. Mr. Flounnory is very hands-on he evens teaches a Pre-Alegebra class to the 5th graders afterschool. He gives so much of himself for the school. Mr. Flounnory is very dedicated to the students, staff, community and parents. He hires the very Best of educators and he knows what is going on in each and every classroom and I love the open door policy and the high standards. Stonewall Tell is like a little private school but only public. Both my daughters LOVE going to school and learning! Thanks Stonewall Tell

Posted October 11, 2010

Stonewall Tell is a fabulous neighborhood school that established a solid academic foundation for all 4 of my children. Parental involvement is not only welcomed, but is expected. I still volunteer there even though all of my children have moved on to middle and high schools.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

119 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

119 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

118 students were tested at this school in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

148 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

148 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

153 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

153 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

154 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

161 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

156 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

157 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

157 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Dance teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• French

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Shannon Flounnory
Fax number
  • (770) 306-3504

Foreign languages taught
  • French

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

• Dance

School culture

• Volunteer in the classroom
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3310 Stonewall Tell Rd