Posted August 27, 2014
TMSA is a wonderful school. Tons of parental support, fantastic teachers and a PTO that helps out. My husband and I have watched our children flourish with the help of great teachers. They also have Art, Music, Band, Spanish and Technology to round out regular academics.

Posted April 18, 2014
I want to thank you for hosting the Georgia State University music faculty in your band classes today. We had such a wonderful time working with all of your students and felt so welcome at the school. From being greeted at the door, to being personally escorted to the band room by such well mannered students, to the thoughtful donations of donuts and orange juice - you have left a great impression. All of the faculty commented on what a nice reception they received. The most important thing, however, is how impressed they were with TMSA students. All of the students were so eager to learn, respectful and a pure joy to teach. Bravo to all of you in creating such a fabulous learning environment. I have taught MANY workshops in MANY middle and high schools in this area, including APS, Cobb, Gwinnett, Dekalb, Forsyth, etc, and I have never had such well behaved and interested students, especially in middle school. I, as well as all of the GSU faculty, were quite impressed. Who leads the way? TMSA!

Posted January 03, 2014
My oldest son has been at The Main Street Academy since its opening. He is now in 4th grad and my younger son is in Kindergarten. We have been very pleased with TMSA over the last four years. The secret to your child's success at any school is parental involvement. Does TMSA have issues? Absolutely. However, the alternatives are to bus your kid an hour away, go to your neighborhood school or put in the work to make the one where you are the best it can be. Instead of complaining about all that is wrong (students, parents, teachers and administrators) come up with executable solutions to the problems. The first step to improving TMSA is MORE parental involvement. My children have excelled academically and we are very happy.

Posted November 10, 2013
This school is terrible! i'm a student that has been enrolled for all of my middle school years. The leadership in the school has completely shifted completely since the beginning, the school itself is playing catch-up. In result, students are falling behind. in my classes, i have all a's. i cannot wait to go to high school and leave this sorry excuse for a school !

The Main Street Academy 3

Posted September 30, 2013
I think the teachers are doing a wonderful job with the resources they have which is the largest downfall of the school. No library. No media center. No gymnasium. No real classrooms for middle school. TheTMSA school board is doing a good job, but are limited by an inept Fulton County school board and city leaders that lack any vision. (East Point and College Park) Test scores are indicative of the fundamental problem with the Southside children can read, but struggle in math and science. To me the school should be focusing more of these two critical areas. There is also too much focus on CRCT scores. Like most Georgia schools, this seems to be the schools driving force of their curriculum. There are also too many disruptive children in the school, causing the teachers to focus too much energy away from children who really want to learn. It could be a great school, but Fulton County and the surrounding cities need to step up and help. I fault them for a vast majority of the issues with the school.

Posted September 17, 2013
We have been at TMSA since day one and have had a fantastic experience. We have a fourth grader and a kindergartener at the school. Our teachers are excellent - committed, energetic, caring, and great communicators. Our boys are learning a lot in the first month of school. We have been especially pleased with the "specials" offerings at TMSA. Our older son joined the school band this year, and will have lessons three times a week during the school day. There is also Robotics Club, Beta Club, Chess Club, and much more. A lot to choose from. We are also very pleased with the TAG, art and Spanish programs. The parents are really warm at TMSA - it feels like a family. I would recommend the school to anyone.

Posted May 07, 2013
TMSA has cussing,fights and limited homework so i dont get the argument.As you can see most of the good reviews are by who,lower academy parents who rarely comes to the upper.This is on account of my son and what he said it was like.The child gets dropped off and walks to their classroom.Then their teacher yells and screams at them for the next 2 hours.Then they go to specials but the teacher keeps them in to redo work that they missed by the TEACHER yelling. Then they head to lunch and there is no talking.Recess time oh wait the upper doesnt have recess so,back to a small hot classroom they share with 20 other children.Dismissal time so the teacher shells out homework and they go home to spend 3 hours on it. Does this sound like fun, NO we wouldnt like it if we had to go through this.Now the Lower basically is what its supposed to be like.Come on people it a charter school that means we have a say.So say something.

The Main Street Academy 4

Posted April 27, 2013
My son has been at The Main Street Academy since the opening, first at the Lower now at the upper Academy. As with any new school, there have been some challenges but the benefits far outweigh the issues anticipatEd with a startup school. TMSA Board and administration have continuously made changes and improvements for the betterment of students. I have another son in high school that went to elementary and middle school in the East Point area so I've experience firsthand the public school alternatives. Cussing in the hallways, fighting in the school, limited homework, 15-20 parents at PTA meetings & maybe one field trip a year are what I witnessed at my public school alternative. I must say The Main Street Academy has been a far better experience for my younger son. The parent involvement , the exposure to multiple cultures and the visible commitment from the Board, Administration and staff make TMSA the best no cost option for me. Let's not forget Saturday school, Wednesday tutorial and all the other support programs this startup school has put in place for our children to succeed. As with anything new , TMSA is what you make it so I encourage parents to stay involved.

Posted March 01, 2013
TMSA was a great mistake! I enrolled my child in this school thinking it was a better alternative to the public middle schools. Classroom management is awful by the teachers. Faculty could care less about discretion when talking about children around other children. The teachers never give homework or update you about your child's progress unless they are in need of disciplinary actions! There were absolutely NO PROGRAMS for the middle school children to participate in and no incentive for parent involvement. I have heard from parents in the lower academy that they are great there, but my warning goes for the messes in the trailers. Please do not expose your kids to this!

Posted February 21, 2013
My daughter started TMSA in the Fall, and my expectations have been greatly exceeded! Our K teacher is fantastic she is energetic and enthusiastic, and works hard to really teach to the different strengths among the students in her classroom. We are just over half-way through the year, and I am amazed at what my daughter has already learned both in the core curriculum (reading, writing, math), and in the specials (art, music, spanish). There are certainly resource challenges, but I would encourage any parent to strongly consider TMSA as a great elementary option. Both Academy Directors are great I interface with the Lower Academy Director most often and she is friendly, responsive, direct and fair. Having interfaced with the Principal on several occasions, I appreciate his style of leadership and approach to school management. Overall, we are very happy with TMSA and look forward to 1st grade!

The Main Street Academy
3480 East Main Street, College Park, GA  30337
Last modified The Main Street Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 3-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
The Main Street Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top