Public charter
College Park, GA

The Main Street Academy 2

Posted May 26, 2015
I would not recommend this school. Parents in the area are limited with the schools they have to choose from . This school has become no better than the others in south fulton .

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted May 26, 2015
High turn over rate with teachers . Most have little control over their classrooms . Everytime I visited the classroom students were out of their seats being very disrespectful (3rd grade)

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted May 26, 2015
The grade levels are departmentalized and the teachers do not communicate in regards to homework .

Develops grit: Disagree

Posted May 26, 2015
Students are not challenged and are placed in groups with similar learning . They have no opportunity for advancement

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted May 26, 2015
Students speak to each other with little respect . They behave the way they would in the streets . The classroom should be a learning environment .

Posted December 20, 2014
I serve on The Main Street Academy's Governing Board and would like to correct a misnomer regarding the rating of our Upper Academy here. The rating shown is a lowly "1." For the more than 500 families who send their children to TMSA, this rating comes as a shock - almost an insult. Rest assured, this rating does not reflect the quality of TMSA. It reflects an issue with GreatSchool's access to our test information. Because GreatSchools is somehow unable to access TMSA's full, current CRCT and ITBS testing information, a "1" rating is listed here. TMSA posts its most recent CRCT test data on our website: http://tiny.cc/cwhpqx While there is room for improvement, TMSA s successes are clear in this data - especially in comparison to other local schools. The school's administration, teaching staff and board are laser-focused on student achievement each and every day. If you are considering applying to TMSA, please contact the school to schedule a tour and see for yourself. I would also recommend attending our PTO and board meetings, which are well-run, well-attended, and reflect the parent participation and student achievement that are our hallmarks.

Posted August 27, 2014
TMSA is a wonderful school. Tons of parental support, fantastic teachers and a PTO that helps out. My husband and I have watched our children flourish with the help of great teachers. They also have Art, Music, Band, Spanish and Technology to round out regular academics.

Posted April 18, 2014
I want to thank you for hosting the Georgia State University music faculty in your band classes today. We had such a wonderful time working with all of your students and felt so welcome at the school. From being greeted at the door, to being personally escorted to the band room by such well mannered students, to the thoughtful donations of donuts and orange juice - you have left a great impression. All of the faculty commented on what a nice reception they received. The most important thing, however, is how impressed they were with TMSA students. All of the students were so eager to learn, respectful and a pure joy to teach. Bravo to all of you in creating such a fabulous learning environment. I have taught MANY workshops in MANY middle and high schools in this area, including APS, Cobb, Gwinnett, Dekalb, Forsyth, etc, and I have never had such well behaved and interested students, especially in middle school. I, as well as all of the GSU faculty, were quite impressed. Who leads the way? TMSA!

Posted January 03, 2014
My oldest son has been at The Main Street Academy since its opening. He is now in 4th grad and my younger son is in Kindergarten. We have been very pleased with TMSA over the last four years. The secret to your child's success at any school is parental involvement. Does TMSA have issues? Absolutely. However, the alternatives are to bus your kid an hour away, go to your neighborhood school or put in the work to make the one where you are the best it can be. Instead of complaining about all that is wrong (students, parents, teachers and administrators) come up with executable solutions to the problems. The first step to improving TMSA is MORE parental involvement. My children have excelled academically and we are very happy.

The Main Street Academy 1

Posted November 10, 2013
This school is terrible! i'm a student that has been enrolled for all of my middle school years. The leadership in the school has completely shifted completely since the beginning, the school itself is playing catch-up. In result, students are falling behind. in my classes, i have all a's. i cannot wait to go to high school and leave this sorry excuse for a school !

3480 East Main Street, College Park, GA  30337
Last modified The Main Street Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 3-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
The Main Street Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top