The Main Street Academy

Charter | K-3 | 230 students

Our school is best known for providing a quality education in grades K-2.

Posted June 14, 2014

I have been involved in this school since day one and cannot be happier with its academic progress. The staff is energetic, very creative and their passion for teaching shows every day. This year, TMSA's CRCT scores exceeded all of the neighboring public schools. There is not another school around where a child can be 100% supported by the staff, parents and the community.

Posted May 20, 2014

Let me start out saying TMSA is a good school but has great potential to be the Best Charter School in South Fulton. They have awesome PTO and amazing community support.I have two daughters that been there since the doors open in 2010. One in 8th grade which exceeded all areas in CRCT "2014 and was selected salutatorin and a fourth grader who also exceeded in all areas in CRCT except for Social Studies who's currently in "TAG". Like every school there'll be some teachers who is not fully committed however I think the good outweighs the bad and the ones who don't do their job they are replaced. One of my main issues the last couple of years was the high turnovers with educators kids need stability.Funding by far is the biggest challenge. They need a building to accommodatemiddle school they are currently in trailers. Overall I rate the upper academy a7 and the lower academy 10. As a parent we use reviews to help with the decision making of selecting the right school for your child they're are a lot of parents who are not involvedand they like to blame the teacherfor everything please keep in mind the reviews are opinionated.

Posted February 22, 2013

My Child has attended Main Street for three years now, and we couldn't be happier. The staff is amazing and the fellow parents seem to actually care about their childrens education - which is something you don't find in many public schools.

Posted February 21, 2013

My daughter started TMSA in the Fall, and my expectations have been greatly exceeded! Our K teacher is fantastic she is energetic and enthusiastic, and works hard to really teach to the different strengths among the students in her classroom. We are just over half-way through the year, and I am amazed at what my daughter has already learned both in the core curriculum (reading, writing, math), and in the specials (art, music, spanish). There are certainly resource challenges, but I would encourage any parent to strongly consider TMSA as a great elementary option. Both Academy Directors are great I interface with the Lower Academy Director most often and she is friendly, responsive, direct and fair. Having interfaced with the Principal on several occasions, I appreciate his style of leadership and approach to school management. Overall, we are very happy with TMSA and look forward to 1st grade!

Posted February 21, 2013

My son has attended Kindergarten and is currently in First Grade at TMSA. My son has had two excellent teachers and his academic progression has exceeded my expectations. (I almost feel like he has had TOO much homework this year!) It is a very positive atmosphere and the kids are well behaved (because the majority of the parents care about education.) We have even seen benefits to the tri-cities community as a whole which has arisen out of the collective sense of purpose to build a strong educational environment for our kids. We certainly need a new facility for both academies, but that is difficult for any startup school and our Board is working diligently to make it happen. Our school has improved every year by addressing its needs and I expect it will continue grow and become a model charter school for the state. I would recommend TMSA to anyone.

Posted December 4, 2012

We have had a great experience with TMSA. My daughter began Kindergarten this fall and is absolutely thrilled to go to school each and every morning. She has caring and creative teachers who keep us informed of her progress and struggles on a daily basis. Already, they have instilled a passion for learning and her reading, writing and math skills have improved tremendously. The kindergarten team is truly a dream! We have daily homework assignments, extra challenge homework and online resources that they have provided. This rigorous, academic program is balanced by an amazing art and music program as well as PE. As vested members of this community, we are so thankful to have such a wonderful public school option. We are happy to volunteer in building a better school for our community and are pleased that parental involvement is a requirement. We are also very pleased with the after care program, offering homework assistance and play as well as the many wonderful in-house after school options such as karate, dance, art and gardening classes and daisies.

Posted November 1, 2012

I have a daughter that attends the Upper Academy here. I was told by a friend that this school was a really good school. So far from what I've seen I'm not impressed!! The staff is very RUDE!! Once I was waiting in one of the rooms to meet with a teacher, a student came in complaining about an injurer to the front desk clerk. Little that the clerk knew I heard her in a harsh tone tell the student, "GO TO THE CLINIC. He was about to enter the room I was in until she jerked him and said, "You know where the clinic is! Then she said "And you better not tell anybody. This new principal is very rude when it comes down to speaking with him. He acts as if he has no time for you. To make a long story short, this is not what I was expecting!!! Teachers please get your attitudes together. The kids shouldn't be bully by adults the way they are bullied by other kids. Who can I kids turn to if the adults shows no concern. Kids do as they see and speak of what they hear. It's time to be Role Models!!

Posted October 29, 2012

My daughter entered as a kindergartner this year at TMSA and has had an amazing experience. She comes home every day excited about what she has learned and is always eager to go to school the next morning. Amazingly, she is eager to do homework, due in no small part to the creative assignments that the kindergarten team uses. The curriculum is rich and rigorous, and the teachers are engaging and exciting. The school does have resource challenges, but this is largely made up for by parental volunteering--and this is something you are expected to do as a TMSA parent. But that also helps build community. If you are willing to roll up your sleeves and take part in your child's education, this is a great school.

Posted October 29, 2012

My Daughter started Kindergarten at TMSA this year and we are so blessed to have this wonderful school in our neighborhood. When we first moved to College Park we were very concerned that we would not have a public school to send her to. After some short research we found TMSA and it is the most amazing school. We are very pleased with her teachers Mrs. Santos and Mrs. Stewart. It is only October and we can see a huge difference in her Reading and Math Skills. Plus she takes Spanish 3 times a week as well as art and PE. We are in love with TMSA!!!!!!!!!

Posted July 22, 2012

My son started Kindergarten at The Main Street Academy and will be entering the 2nd grade in the Fall. Our daugher will be joining him in the Fall, she will be entering Kindergarten. We have been very pleased with TMSA. It is truly a family environment where there are plenty of opportunities for parents to get involved. We are happy that TMSA is in our community!

Posted July 9, 2012

I am a firm believer that you have to be involved versus sitting on the sidelines and waiting to see what will happen -imagine if we parented that way? I have had a great experience with TMSA and can only speak from my son's K & 1st grades. Those parents that are vested in building community,creating memories,& encouraging an environment of passion for learning are more inclined to like this school. Those that prefer the drop off service/babysitter perspective of school may not like it. It is smaller, younger, & requires a little more elbow grease than others. I love the teachers that walk my child to my door and give me a DAILY report vs. a quarterly report on paper. I love the fact that I can volunteer in various ways & teachers are grateful versus feeling threatened. I love the idea of invaluable idea exchange amongst like minded parents because we are accessible & visible to each other. My daughter enters Kindergarten this year & she is excited to be a part of the TMSA family. I have summer sessions with my kids every day before/after the pool because it is not ALL UP TO THE TEACHERS so if you are a parent that is up to doing your part, you will love the way TMSA does theirs.

Posted May 23, 2012

The lower academy is better than the upper academy, however, that is not saying much. The current principal is cheerful, but spineless. At the risk of sounding like an elitist, the school is full of riff raff. Most of the students come from lower income families down 29/14 in college park, east point and union city. There is a problem with bullies and all the great involved parents are leaving to attend their local schools or private schools. The great parents that remain do so only because their local school is just a bad or they cannot afford private school. If you cannot afford private school, then home school. Either way, I would rob a bank or dance on a pole to make money for private school versus return to this school. First year was pretty decent; this past year was the worst!!!!

Posted May 22, 2012

My son has been at TMSA for two years. 1st and 2nd grade and my husband and I are very pleased with his progress. His reading is outstanding and his mathematical skills have impoved tremendously. Math was not his strongest subject. He has had EXCELLENT teachers who have challenged him in various ways. The PTO Leadership is awesome and the School Leadership is awesome. I am a very involved parent and have never had a problem speaking with my son's teacher, the Academy Director or the Principal. In the two years that I have been at TMSA I have found that anytime I wanted to be involved with the school as a whole (not just my son) that mine and my husband's presence was always welcomed. The school is NOT geared toward low income families, it is geared toward families who take their child's educational foundation seriously and want a challenging public choice. In the areas that I found problamatic (very few) I have offered help to improve those areas. Again, parent input and involvement is not only strongly encouraged . . . IT IS REQUIRED!

Posted May 18, 2012

I have 2 children that attend TMSA. One in the upper academy and the other in the lower academy. I LOVE the lower academy. The teachers/other staff are AWESOME the atmosphere is welcoming. On the other had the upper academy is... well unprofessional and unorganized. I had a question regarding my child's grade and it was like searching for a needle in a hay stack trying to get someone to get back in touch with me. My husband and I went through 4 different admins staff as well as going up to the school, it was not UNTIL I had a conversation over the phone with the principal that I received a return call. UNACCEPTABLE!!!! They make it very difficult for parents to be involved BUT they always (talk) about how they want parents invovled. NOT to mention the constant turn over in staff members. Would I recommend the upper academy.... NOT AT ALL with the current staff in place. Would I recommand the lower academy.. ABSOLUTELY without a second guess!!!

Posted February 4, 2012

My son has attended TMSA for the last 2 years. He likes the school for the most part. He had a few uncomftable moments at TMSA, but of course the staff and Principal were right on board to help resolve our issues. We loved TMSA the first year the school opened. And we know it's only the second year, but we are not feeling that the school staff is there for the battle of keeping the good school image ongoing. I am at TMSA through out the day and see a lot of things that I don't like. More dislikes than likes. It's mostly geared toward low income families. If they can weed out most of the families that are not willing to do their part, it might reached potential. Also, the staff creates a lot of insecure students by yelling alot at the kids. We are not returning to TMSA. And if you asked me why, I could give you more reasons not to attend.

Posted January 26, 2012

This is our second year with the school. I have a 2nd, 4th and 7th grader and am so please with the growth and leadership. I am looking forward to Main Street being by school of choice for the next however many years.

Posted January 26, 2012

I love this school and the teachers. The principal is the best!!! I have a son in the 5th grade and I can't wait for my daughter to start there next year.

Posted September 23, 2011

My daughter was in the lower academy last year. We are very proud to be a part of the first classes of TMSA. This school is a breath of fresh air. Fulton County school system has failed us in previous years and having an alternate choice is HUGE! My son has started Kindergarten this year and he is soo happy there. When my children are happy and challenged, it makes me that much happier. TMSA Is a cut above the rest! I can't wait to see whats to come next. They have grown so much within 1 year! Awesome staff, kids and families! My goal/wish for TMSA is for them to have access to their own bldg for both academies VERY SOON. GO TMSA!!! WE Believe in YOU! :D

Posted July 17, 2011

The Main Street Academy (TMSA) is a bright ray of hope. The public schools in this area have tended to be among Atlanta's lowest-performing. So my wife and I have been thrilled to witness and be an active part of TMSA's evolution. Pros: a) an exceptional principal, Mr. Raine Hackler, who has the skills and enthusiasm that make it easy for teachers, staff, parents and students to get behind; b) a fantastic parent community that pitches in to help again and again; c) an overall excellent teaching staff, mostly consisting of young teachers full of vigor; and d) a diverse group of students. Cons: a) the school is split between two temporary campuses (space rented from local churches), which is less than ideal in terms of staff availability; b) the TAG program wasn't rolled out the first year; c) like many charter schools, there are financial concerns that will need to be navigated. I'm extremely optimistic about our school, in terms of its potential for success and ability to overcome obstacles. The keys are an intelligent, passionate faculty, and involved, caring parents. With those two in place, any child can excel and our school can fly. I believe in TMSA.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Male 55%N/A51%
Female 45%N/A49%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Security personnel
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Special education
Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

School start time
  • 7:45 am
School end time
  • 3:30 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Marclette Ellison
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Direct instruction
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Acceleration
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Remediation
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
  • Tutoring

Music
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Girl scouts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom