Columbus, GA

Downtown Elementary Magnet Academy
Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted July 28, 2015
All three of my children attended DEMA, the youngest one started kindergarten when the middle one was already in high school. And I must say, not much has changed since the two older ones left. Still the same close knit, caring, and academically challenging environment. Many teachers are more than willing to go the extra mile to ensure success, and the school does an excellent job of making resources available to parents. During the latter part of the school year I spent a lot of time volunteering in my son's class room, and must say that I did not observe any of the previously mentioned bullying problems. One of the greatest aspects of DEMA is their PIE, TSYS; parties, field trips, Christmas and End of Summer gifts, Toastmasters program, mentoring, are just a few of the benefits the children enjoy. I cannot rave enough about the difference Downtown Elementary Magnet Academy and TSYS have made in my children's lives.

Downtown Elementary Magnet Academy 1

Posted August 04, 2013
This school has a major bullying problem rated the worst in Columbus GA in 2012-2013 school year (article in local newspaper ) Some of the Teaching staff needs major improvement or at east monitoring. Teacher of kindergaten wrongly reported a bad grade "I wasn't supposed to but too late to change " (they are only allowed 2 before child must leave the school ) then she did it again this was a kindergaten child doing homework every night. They really need to evaluate the bullying and teachers making "mistakes" that have changed a very young child's life. I would not send a child here .

Downtown Elementary Magnet Academy
1400 1st Ave, Columbus, GA  31901
Last modified Downtown Elementary Magnet Academy is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Downtown Elementary Magnet Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top