Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Columbus High was an...interesting experience for me, to say the least. I'm now a college student, far removed from CHS, and I can honestly say that my time there was not as bright and shiny as most make theirs seem. If you had asked me then how I liked it, I would have either put on a smiling face and said "it's fine, just a lot of work," or I would have burst into tears and told you about how overwhelmed I was every night with schoolwork and other obligations. However, looking back at my experience there, I will say that it did have at least *some* redeeming qualities, which I will get to in a moment. Before anyone speculates as to whether I was stressed out due to procrastination - I can assure you that I didn't procrastinate. I even earned mostly As when I was enrolled there, but at the cost of my self-esteem and livelihood. Once in a blue moon I had time to take a break, but for the majority of those years I was hoveled up in my room, sacrificing time with family and friends, sacrificing my hobbies and personal pursuits, for the sake of my GPA. I generally don't consider myself a very competitive person - just diligent and ambitious - but the majority of students at CHS are, without a doubt, highly competitive and highly ambitious. I remember receiving tests back in class, which the teacher would respectfully place grade-down on your desk for confidentiality, but as soon as the first student got theirs back they would call out their grade, and, one-by-one, other students would call out theirs, too. What's striking to me about this situation is that almost every score called out was an A; they weren't comparing their *letter* grades like most average high schoolers would, they were comparing their *As*! There is a lot more I could say about the teachers and students, the environment, etc, but I only have a few characters left. I used to consider many of my teachers there "unforgiving," but I believe that characteristic strengthened my work ethic and catalyzed my growth as a person. Sure, I would cry in the bathroom stalls at times due to the tense, competitive environment, but it was essentially a microcosm of what my world will be like when I follow my dream to become a neuroscientist. CHS did help me grow thick skin, but I simply wish I had more time at that age to do things typical of a sensitive, growing teenager.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

My teachers didn't do much lecturing; instead, they had the students take more work upon themselves, hoping their students were smart enough to learn for themselves. I agree that most students at CHS have the capacity to do this and more, but a little more elaboration of material on the teachers' parts would have been nice. Of course all my teachers were different, and there were some who were absolutely great, but for the most part I didn't think they were any better than teachers you'd find at a "regular" school, and sometimes they were actually worse.

Amount of homework: Disagree

I recall having to write down fifty or more well-developed responses to mythology stories, complete ten or more challenging science problems, create fifty or more notecards for my *elective* class for *homework* every other night, on top of studying for upcoming AP/honors tests and completing my volunteer hours every week. It was an absolutely outrageous amount of work - there's no doubt it improved my work ethic, but it also made me a little crazy at times!

Develops character: Disagree

I found that many of my peers would resort to cheating to get assignments done or simply not put forth their best effort, due to the extreme workload. Students were also sent to detention for something as simple as forgetting to wear their ID card. I myself was almost sent to detention for this, but the teacher had me go search the entire school for my missing ID card, promising she would take my name off the detention sheet if I found it. Finally, as I admitted defeat and walked toward my mom's car to go home, I realized my ID card was tucked underneath my shirt the whole time. I ran back to the teacher and, in tears, explained what had happened. She reluctantly took my name off the detention sheet. I had an A in her class - an accelerated math class - and I never disrespected her, despite her sour attitude, but nonetheless she gave me such a hard time for the few things I did do wrong. Again, this made me grow thick skin, and I'm exceedingly grateful for that, but jeez! Some of the people at that school just didn't seem to have a heart. Some of the students at that school didn't seem to value their integrity or the virtue of honesty, either.

The bad comments on the staff are not true. The teachers are of all different personalities as to be expected of any school. I would disregard any comment by a "former student" who could not succeed. Make no mistake, this school is not only for the most intelligent students but more for students whom are concerned with being academically competitive on the highest level. Do not attend/ send your child to Columbus high school without a passion for learning or an outstanding work ethic. There may be stress but this school is meant to imitate a college experience which it most certainly does. This puts students in an exponentially better position to attend a top college of their choosing

CHS is a great school. It prepares students for college more than any other school. Yes, students do kicked out for getting below a "C" if you cannot do C work at Columbus High than you need to be at another school. The work is manageable if the student prioritizes. CHS does not teach students to be arrogant or egotistical, it teaches students to work to the best of their ability. I would recommend Columbus High School to any student willing to be dedicated to their work. It really pays off in the long run.

I honestly hate that I'm having to say this about the "best" high school in the county but, I do not recommend this school. While I'm sure their education is great, what they do to their students is saddening. I saw one of their clubs at a competition and they reacted very obnoxiously upon winning. They really wanted to let everyone know that they won. They really enlarge the student's ego, not in a good way. And if you're not already acting like you're better than everyone, others are incredibly stressed out. The stress levels are high, mainly because of the grade deal they have, which I still don't understand. Plus, the teachers and staff there are really rude. Now, other schools in the district, they're welcome to help you. They do everything they can to make sure you meet your needs. It's a shame that I see this is other high schools and not Columbus (which is #4 in the state of Georgia) I'm sorry to say this but CHS does not deserve its position. 1/5

CHS is a great school for anyone who is fully comitted and dedicated to the educational part of life. The faculty and staff are very nice and they do their best to motivate the student body to do their best. Some of the teachers are strict, but that is to the students' advantage. While attending CHS, you are given a bit more freedom than most schools, but with that freedom comes responsibility. Any student that attends CHS eventually learns proper manners. CHS is truely a college prep. I highly reccomend this school for any student that wants to succeed in college and their carreer. GO BLUE DEVILS!

Columbus High is for students that want to work hard to achieve goals. Any student that says this is a bad school because they kick students out for bad grades is not the type of student CHS caters to. CHS does some rude faculty in the office but majority of the teachers are respectful. CHS is a school that prepares you for college. There is a heavy workload and assignments are challenging, but it is supposed to be that way. CHS wants to push it's students to go above and beyond the requirements. The security of the school is also fine. If you visit other high schools in Columbus, you will see that the campus is open to the public. CHS does have police that stay paroling the area and school just like any other school does. Overall, CHS is a great school as long as you have the motivation and self discipline to do the work.

I am really appalled that this school scares the hell out of kids if they get a grade C in a class. They are allowed to threaten the kids with disenrollment. It is an extremely stressful school environment. They expect the kids to perform at a level that is sometimes overwhelming for a HS student. Kids are suppose to enjoy their high years, not worry if they are going to be kicked out if they receive a low grade.

Last modified Columbus High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.