East Columbus Magnet Academy

Public | 6-8 | 603 students

Sweep tile

Posted July 8, 2013

My child will be attending this school in the fall and I'm super excited for her! The principle Mr.Scott is the best! I look forward to this new beginning for my lovely daughter.

Posted June 24, 2013

East Columbus Magnet Academy is the best kept secret in Columbus, Georgia. My son and daughter have just left to go to high school. The teachers are great. They worked with my children to make sure they were successful. Mr. Scott, the Principal, has really done a fantastic job here. He really cares for all of the students. And the students love him.

Posted April 15, 2010

This is a awesome school, if your child is there to learn. they have a lot of rules which for me as a parent are great. The academics are excellent same as the personnel

Posted December 19, 2009

I love ECMA. Im an magnet 8th grade student there and the teachers are oh so wonderful! Espically Mr. Scott(the principle). He gets everybody on track.

Posted November 7, 2009

The teachers work with my daugther and I belive it is an excellent school.

Posted August 6, 2009

Great atmosphere and learning environment. Teachers and staff are wonderful

Posted June 5, 2009

this school is the best of all of the schools not only because i am an student at ecma it is the bbest of all

Posted May 21, 2009

I say this is excellent because everytime I go in that school I see many many parents supporting thier children

Posted March 7, 2009

I am a stuent at East Columbus and EC is a very well eduacated school.our Mr.Scott does his job very well and is very professional when he does it.East Columbus IS indeed the best middle school in columbus.We have lots of leadership and lots of well eduacated teachers to teach their students what they need to know.I must also say that just because we have a day call 'buy-outs' doesn't mean anything.It just the children getting a tiny little break from all the hard work they are doing or trying their best to do.And Mr.Scott wouldn't allow us to have this activity if it was going to represent the school badly,because as a principle he does what he can to make sure ALL the students in East Columbus Magnet Academy passed the CRCT and go on to the next grade.So, yet again EC Knights Is indeed the best middle school!

Posted January 28, 2009

This is the worst school I've ever dealt with. The teachers do make the kids feel dumb and the focus is not on teaching the students or reinforcing positive behaviors but more on the negative. I have never known for a school to have lockout where all the kids pay money to stay out of class all day. The lockout is in the gym and kids are walking around talking amongst their friends. I will never recommend this school to anyone. Poor leadership and poor teachers.

Posted November 28, 2008

well i am a former student and athelet of east columbus. i attended EC all my three years of middle school. Mr.Scott became my principal when i was in the 8th grade. He had a vision of how he EC should be ran. You could really tell he knew what he was doing because the previous years EC was not 'that good'. Mr. Scott and mostly all of the teachers there, really do care about their students education. Even though there may have been some teachers who just want a check, but what school doesn't have 'those types'? And when we did good things, we got rewarded. The Sports programe there is awesome too. I love the coaches {ms.tanzie.mrs.crooks.coach marino}. And having the best football/cheerleading team in the city {for middle school}, is just a bonus! So as you can see i really do love East Columbus.

Posted November 13, 2008

I am a 8th grader at EC. We ae very well behaved around Mr.Scott. He has done an excellent job. Last year he whipped us into Shape for the CRCT test. I love that school so much go EC knights.

Posted November 5, 2008

I went to ECMA for my 6th & 7th grade year. I am currently in the 8th grade at Rock Lake Middle School in Longwood, Fl. I love that school more than any school I ever been too. I was a 07-08 ECMA cheerleader & loved it! The school teachers can be strict but only if your or the class is really misbehaving. the teachers there will always try their best to help you succeed in their class. The athletic programs in the school are very good also. I was there when they had Mrs. Hutchinson and the school seemed really out of hand when she was principal. I didn't know exactly who she was till January in my 6th grade year. Mr. Scott was my principal for 7th grade and he is an excellent principal. He really knows what he's doing!

Posted August 28, 2007

We have four children, two of which attended East Columbus Magnet School under the leadership (if that s what you call it) of the former principle Mrs. .Hutchinson. It was obvious she hated being at that school, but I guess she needed a paycheck. While there my children suffered mentally, emotionally from the treatment they received from staff. They went there as honor students but came out feeling crushed, dejected and torn down. The staff was a product of the principal s nasty attitude. They were lazy and unprofessional in everything they did. Mrs. Hutchinson, the principle didn t care enough for the children to attend the PTA meetings; it was hosted by the assistance principal. I felt as if my children were in a cult, as the school did not welcome parent s visits. I pulled them out of that school. Complaint made by the parents went unnoticed by the school board. I personally made several complaints on this principal and did my neighbors, the superintendent never responded!! East Columbus has a new principle, BUT I wouldn t trust that school unless the principle does a complete overhaul on the staff.

Posted August 26, 2007

I am so glad that we have a new Principal at East Columbus Magnet Academy. I can tell the difference in the hallways and in the classroom on how the students are acting. The students are well behaved.I feel more secure knowing that there is control at ECMA now. The teachers are teaching with a smile on there face like they enjoy being there. My child is in the 7th grade and she is enjoying this year much better than last year. I talked to the new principal and he want us parents to come to the school anytime. And that his door is always open. I know that is true because he made time in his schedule to meet with me and to just say hello. I recommend your child coming to ECMA. A.L

Posted October 12, 2006

This school is by far the worst that I have dealt with. The leadership is lacking and the staff seems to only be there because they haven't any other choice. I have had great dealings with the vice Principle, and I to agree that she should be the Principle. The Principle there is very unprofessional when it come to associating with parents.

Posted July 31, 2006

I am really not pleased with ECMA. My child attended there last year and it was not a great environment. My child had teachers telling him at the beginning of the year that he was going to fail and he did. I told my son if he had questions ask, but he was told that his question was silly. The principal doesn't return phone calls. My son is an LD student and half of the time did not have the resource teachers come in to help.

Posted July 25, 2005

I was a student at this school for all three grades. The athletic program is a great one, the coaches really care. The assistant pricipal, Mrs. Kinney, should be the principal. The real principal is only seen when there are visitors. Some teachers can't handle teaching at this school emotionally. To sum it all up, it is not a stable environment. Although, your child can get a great education at this school. The teachers are smart, but not stable.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 12, 2005

The teachers talk loud to the students, and some yell frequently at the students. The teachers don't seem to have the compassion in dealing with the 6th graders in their transition to the middle school in trying to understand the these children are going through adolescent changes and are adjusting to this new phase in their life. Some of the teachers give busy work and never use the blackboard to explain class work. The school focus more on the student's dress rather than on academic acheivement. The reading teacher seems to be more understanding, and cares about the student learning.

Posted June 4, 2004

East Columbus is a good school. The teachers are very devoted. The administration is also hardworking. Student achievement is very high. Extracurricular activates are excellent. This school over all good but needs more parent involvement.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 92% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 96% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 93% in 2013.

208 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

206 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 95% in 2013.

208 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 85% in 2013.

207 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

207 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

183 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

183 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 97% in 2013.

182 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

184 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

184 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 82% in 2012.

200 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

Asian 0% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

• Kevin Scott
Fax number
  • (706) 565-3031

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6100 Georgetown Dr