Double Churches Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 475 students

Our school is best known for a quality education to a diverse student population

Posted yesterday

This is my daughter fourth year in school in Columbus and second year at Double Churches and I am sad that she can't stay for high school. She is a good student but at Double Churches she became a great student. She loves going to school unlike her last school where she would be dragging to get ready. The new principal is out every morning greeting the students and parents, the vice principal is also always ready to greet and talk to parents. I think if your child attends this school they will love it.

Posted September 10, 2014

This is my niece's first year in middle school, and she loves Double Churches Middle School. She is very happy there, and she is learning a lot. Every morning the principal is outside to greet the children when they arrive. In the afternoons, he is outside until every child is safely picked up. My niece loves all of her teachers. The teachers are focused on exactly what the children need to learn, and they make it fun. The teachers are nurturing, and yet they maintain excellent discipline. Physical education is a big part for 6th grade students because that is a new experience. My niece so enjoys the PE teachers, and the activities they do. When I have been in the front office, they are consistently helpful and nice. That gives a great first impression of what the school is like. The new principal is an excellent leader for the children of this school. He works hard, and takes his work seriously. The best evaluation of the school for me is that my niece comes home everyday happy, and she is excited about learning. The school does a nice job of mixing learning with fun. The children really respond to the pride coins incentive system!! Go Wildcats!!!! : )

Posted September 9, 2014

I love Double Churches Middle School! My children were homeschooled, so when I had to put them in regular school, DCMS was the only school my kids wanted to attend. They had friends there already and I heard some good things about the school. I was still a little weary, but my fears were quickly laid to rest as I met the staff and got involved. The late Mr. Cox was a fantastic principal. He really cared about everything DCMS. The new principal, Mr. Fitts is fantastic as well. He's only been with DCMS a short while, but he really cares about everything DCMS. He really loves for parents to be involved, and they should be. All the teachers my children have had are WONDERFUL! The front office staff, Ms. Shelley and Ms. Webster, are great and very helpful ALWAYS! Mrs. Harper helps to make sure all the kids are doing the right thing. I can't list everybody, but the whole staff at DCMS is great! I can't begin to say enough how wonderful they are. And sports...we have the best sports teams in Muscogee County!!! DCMS really is a wonderful school. The teachers challenge the students daily to prepare them for high school and beyond. I am glad I chose DCMS for my children!!!!!

Posted September 4, 2014

This is one of the most culturally diverse schools in Columbus with so much to offer students in both academic and extra curricular activities. It is a hidden gem and my son had enjoyed the middle school experience he has had. The course offerings are top notch and he is taking all advanced classes. The new principal is very enthusiastic and the assistant principal has done wonders with positive behavior support for the students. The climate at the school is always nurturing and caring and the staff is super friendly. I love DCMS!

Posted September 4, 2014

DCMS is a great school that offers all kids an opportunity to grow and have great experiences in a safe environment. We have an academically challenging atmosphere that meets the students where they are at and allows them to grow mentally, physically, and emotionally. Our Wildcat P.R.I.D.E. Program is a Positive Behavior Intervention Plan that is proactive in preventing discipline issues as well as working to create a Bully-Free environment. In 2013-2014 we saw our Discipline Referrals decrease by 22%, while our CRCT scores saw the greatest gains of all Middle Schools in Muscogee County. Middle School is a challenging time for all students but the Faculty and Staff of DCMS works tirelessly in helping our students grow and achieve. If you ever want to visit the school, give us a call or just come on by and we will be glad to show off our Wildcat P.R.I.D.E. - GO CATS!!!!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 1, 2014

Very unprofessional school, lacks the initiative that an academically advance school needs. This a direct reflection of their leadership.

Posted November 29, 2013

My son transferred from Arnold to Double Churches middle and the difference is amazing. His grades are improved, the teachers care and want the children to learn. There is no bullying or fights which happened all the time at Arnold. The principle is strict but I think that is what is best to keep the trouble makers in line. The school is in a great area and is kept clean. I don't care what others say this school is amazing in all aspects. I couldn't ask for a butter place for my child

Posted September 26, 2013

This school is not the ideal school to go to. I came from Blackmon Road which is academically the best school here in Columbus Ga. I am in the eighth grade and all advanced classes and I am being taught thing I learned in the 6th and seventh grade. The other students have no respect for adults and the environment of the school is not so great. My rating is zero stars.

Posted September 23, 2013

My daughter transferred here from Midland Middle. She had reservations at first but finds it to be not as bad as she was told. She was assigned to an advanced class and received all As except for one high B. My daughter excells in school but i wonder if the school is too easy. Are the other kids just not trying as hard? Its easy to stand out academically when your surrounded by kids who just dont care to try. You decide.

Posted June 30, 2013

I went to double churches for 7th and 8th grade. I recently went to two other middle schools, Arnold magnet academy and smithstation intermediate in Alabama. This school was waaaaaaaaaaay better then Arnold. Arnold was the worst school year ever for me, and I got locked outside when i was in 1st grade and the teacher didn't care, and several others things happened. But anyways, There was a lot of great teachers there when i went :) They seemed like a they really cared. I was even in a play in my advance language arts class! :D :P well i was a person that moved the furniture xD but it was fun. I really felt apart of something. I even hung out with some people, out of school c: ...which we aren't really friends anymore. I would recommend this school to anyone that knows how to follow orders and not talk all the time. It seems like the people that would misbehave had a horrible time. I'm in 10 grade now and my review probably means nothing, sigh i'm scared to go to public high school, since i did home-school last year. I just really hope this helps someone out and someone actually reads it ^-^ :) Thank you so much if you actually read this. Good luck.

Posted May 23, 2012

This school's environment directly reflects its rating. It is a 2 of 10. My child was regularly exposed to fights in the hallway, children stealing from other children, and teachers that are only attempting to insure students are minimally passing the crct. They do not teach comprehension and problem solving. My child was an honor roll student, but her performance academically and her homework directly reflected someone being taught the test. I literally spent hours each night teaching her things she supposedly learned in school. The children in this school are allowed to dress like thugs and discipline is very poor. I would imagine the poor learning environment has something to do with why they perform so poorly on standardized testing!

Posted December 17, 2011

This school is great! I went here 2 years ago and may be coming back soon. The teaching here is really high level. The only problem I have ha with it, is the students. I was a student myself at the school, and I was getting very disappointed at some students because the way they would act towards me. Maybe they were going through some tough times. I don't know. Well, all I have to say is that it's a great school and I can't wait to be back!

Posted May 31, 2009

I requested a hardship for my son this year and it was the best thing that could have happened to him. Last year he had teachers who didn't care about the students (and he knew this). He almost failed. This year He made it to the National Junior Honor Society and had A's and B's all year. He actually likes reading now and loves the teachers. I really believe this school has had such a major impact on my son's life. I couldn't be more grateful to all his teachers this year!!

Posted May 1, 2007

Being a military family, this is now my sons 4th middle school in a little over two years. This school is wonderful! The teachers are wonderful! Linander, K. Roberts, S. Roberts, Clark, and Raines. Everyone has went out of their way to help him adjust and to help me stay on track of my son and his work. Mr. Carter in Guidance is outstanding and the open door policy is in fact open door! Sad to say we are being transferred yet again. We will miss Double Churches Middle School 'great'ly!

Posted April 22, 2007

Lack of discipline, the kids are really not getting the education they need.

Posted April 13, 2005

We are a military family who moved middle of the school year. My son had failing grades from the previous middle school he attended. He also has ADHD. This school is the best middle school I have ever encountered with our travels. The team of 602 Cares for your child like there is no other. They want to see your child succeed in every aspect of learning! I am so appreciative of Double Churches teaching staff, Mr. Carter, Mr. Hendrickson and everyone involved. My son is now passing with A's! I would recommend this school to anyone! Thank you Double Churches Middle School for your caring support of my child!

Posted March 21, 2004

Being a military family, we moved here just after Christmas 2003. Our son has adjusted to the new school very well. This is in part due to the teachers on team 702. Every teacher shows a genuine concern for their student and they are all very approachable. We feel our son is receiving a top notch education. The Orchestra is small but they pack a punch when they play. The director puts in alot of personal time for one on one instruction after school. The design of the school is awesome along with the different sports offered and elective classes. We only wish they had a baseball team. In all we are very happy with Double Churches and would recommend this school to anyone that asked.

Posted March 2, 2004

We have been very pleased with Double Churches Middle School. We are military and this is our son's third middle school and the best. Dr. Hudson is a terrific principal who is very involved and available. He was at every game home and away, for our son's basketball team ensuring all the kids got safely on the bus most times in the dark. The 8th grade teachers are super and it's been a great preparation for high school. We highly recommend Double Churches.

Posted August 26, 2003

The Principal as well as other staff members are very friendly and helpful.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 92% in 2013.

147 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 96% in 2013.

149 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

161 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

159 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 93% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 95% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 85% in 2013.

138 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

138 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 97% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

136 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 82% in 2012.

142 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Science Fair - 1st in Regional (2014)
  • Social Science Fair - 1st in District (2014)
  • Reading & Academic Bowl - 3rd in District (2014)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Jr. Marshal's - 1st in MCSD (2014)
  • Future Cities - 5th in State (2013)
  • GA Young Authors - District/Regional Winner (2014)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Autism
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• 8:50 am
School end time
  • 3:50 am
  • Craig Fitts
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (706) 748-2682

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Direct instruction
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Hybrid
  • Standards-based
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • None
  • Acceleration
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Remediation
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields
  • Art room
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • PCI

• Creative writing
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Community service

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer at School