Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Parent (1 response)

Veterans Memorial Middle School 2

Posted July 18, 2016
My son attended 6th grade at this school. Academically it was okay. He was in all advanced classes for the core subjects, and yet didn't feel challenged. Communication with the school is non-existent. The first sign of this was the fact that all local school supply stores had lists from other middle school, but not Veterans. Unlike other local middle school, there is no weekly email communications. we found out about the clubs the school had when we received the yearbook and saw all the pictures. How is a 6th grader supposed to join a club of we don't know about them? When I called the school about it and asked for some form of weekly communication be sent to parents, I was asked "what would we write every week? What would you like to know?" Really??? Why don't you ask what the other middle schools are doing? And to finish the school year, my son's phone was stolen. I spent an entire morning speaking with a police officer and all I was able to retrieve was the phone's chip. No police report, no court date, and the boy who stole the phone received no punishment. Although we were impressed with the teachers we met during open house (the only time we were invited to the school), the lack of partnership between home and school and the lack of communication show that the staff may be burned out and looking for the easiest way to get through the school year, as opposed to thinking with creativity and passion "how can we make this school remarkable?" It's very sad.

Veterans Memorial Middle School 2

Posted December 30, 2014
I used to go to this school. I wasn't too satisfied with this school. I was bullied often and the school was there to help me up until my 8th grade year. All reports I gave about bullying were never solved. The school did absolutely nothing to stop them. The bullies kept doing what they were doing. The worst part was that the bullies actually manipulated me and tricked the school into thinking I did something bad (when I didn't) and I got in trouble for it. The education there is really good but everything else is terrible. Send your child to another school.

Posted July 10, 2013
My son entered the MCSS as an eigth grader at VMMS. He had some adjustment issues and the school personal was so kind at helping & encouraging him. They tested him & placed him in the gifted program giving him more challenges and he did well. They also worked with his special needs by helping his self esteem, social skills & general needs. Dr. Brenda Thomas (VP) and many of the staff were invaluable to me as a parent. Always encouraging, solution minded & kind. My son wasn't the perfect "cookie cutter" child and this school helped valid him, it was all we could have hoped for. We truely loved his year there!

Posted September 11, 2009
I love it! My daughter is in all of the gifted classes and she has the best teachers. Thank-you teachers, counsulers, and Ms. Knight!

Posted June 20, 2009
Veterans is the best school I have been to yet. The teachers made sure that I passed, and taught me everything I need to know! It's like a second family to me.

Posted April 18, 2009
This school is great.My child has chance to learn and have fun at the same time

Veterans Memorial Middle School

Posted September 28, 2008
Great school!!! My grandson has a learning disability and his teacher is fantastic. She is dedicated and very loving. Keeps me updated constantly about my grandson through email or phone. He has progress so much since he came to this school. I will always be greatful and feel fortunate that my grandson has such a wonderful teacher and overall a great staff through the entire school.

Posted July 25, 2008
This school is the best!!! Even though this is the first year that this school has been open, it far exceeds any other middle school in the county. The entire staff is dedicated to caring for the whole student. The administration cannot be beat. Veterans has so much to offer any student whether it is academics, sports, or club involvement. I see teachers at the school way into the night. This is true dedication. I am very fortunate that my child gets to experience Veterans for all three middle school years. Keep up the great work!

Veterans Memorial Middle School
2008 Old Guard Rd, Columbus, GA  31909
Last modified Veterans Memorial Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.