Memorial Middle School

Public | 6-8

Posted April 23, 2014

Parents must be involved for your child to do well and take responsibility for that part. My children have attended this school for three years while some changes were due to peer pressure some were due to poor leadership skills. This school offers great programs and academy options. We must continue to lead them and guide them to make great choices. Their has been little issues that has come up as with any school but the parent that I am my children does well and the curriculum is superb!

Posted April 22, 2014

The environment is unhealthy and wrong.i do not like the school students looks or acts. They are a bad influence on my child and I am taking him out next year. My child is now cursing and fighting and just being not like himself. I don't reccomend this school for any one not even teachers.

Posted September 21, 2013

I'm a very INVOLVED parent at MMS. When my son transitioned from elementay school 2 years ago, I heard a lot of rumors that was alarming. Well after 2 years of-standing the test of nay sayers I'm so excited to say that I'm glad that I PUSHED the door open. We've had nothing less than a blessed experience with Mrs. McMann and her staff. The front office ALWAYs greet with a warm inviting smile/atmosphere, the teachers through the years have been very caring and supportive to PUSH students to the next level. We've got to PUSH our children to achieve and be successful by supporting our schools. It definitely takes a village to raise a child. I take great pride and to say that I'm a proud parent at MMS. #PUSH

Posted July 28, 2013

I have been on the faculty at MMS for a year. I don't live in the area so I was completely surprised to hear the rumors about this school. The most recent reviews for this school correctly sum up MMS. The teachers on this faculty are dedicated to student success and strive remarkably hard to help all students. The parents are also dedicated to helping their children succeed. The students are the hardest working, goal driven students that I have ever had the pleasure of teaching in 16 years. I have seen none of the behaviors that have been mentioned in older reviews. There may have been a time when those reviews were appropriate, but not any more. My experience at MMS thus far has been wonderful. I would strongly recommend MMS to any parent of a child who is looking to build the skills necessary to SUCCEED in life.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 13, 2013

I am an 8th grade honor student in Memorial, and i love it. I came to Memorial in the middle of the 6th grade, and i'm not going to lie i was pretty scared, I had heard so many bad things about the school, but my mom told me to at least give it a try. I did, and i am so great-full to have said i went here. The teachers are amazing, such as Ms.Snell. She has been my Language Arts teacher since ive been here, and she has given me so many opportunities, such as applying to the Rockdale Magnet school. I am also not the best math student but my 8th grade teacher Ms.Anthony has really gotten be to like math, by the way she relates to the students. Sure there are a few behavioral problems that we could improve on, but that can be fixed. Other than that Memorial is a wonderful school, that is no where near what i heard and thought it would be like. All you have to do is give it a chance.

Posted August 1, 2012

this school is amazing the kids and teachers are so so nice... i loved it

Posted January 13, 2012

I am in the gifted program and love this school and the teachers in it. It is an amazing school and the principal is awesome and fun (but a little on the strict side). I have earned several awards that would not have otherwise been available if I had attended any Newton County school. I adore all of my teachers and, unless your child is constantly in trouble, they will more likely than not develop a great relationship with the faculty. The students there are like family and I couldn`t imagine life without Memorial. This school has made AYP for the past few years or so. An accomplishment that Newton County schools can only dream of. I am proud of how hard my teachers work to give me the best education and brightest future possible. The extracurricular activities are stellar and allow the students an even closer relationship to the faculty and student body. Thanks to Memorial Middle school, I now have a better chance for getting a job in this dying economy. And you have to remember that the principal has to think not only about your child, but the safety of other children as well (such as me). In adition toi that the schools are having budget cut after budget cut and funds matter.

Posted May 21, 2011

I totally agree with those who say this school is for the birds. The principal, Mrs. McMahan, is as phony as two left shoes. She does not manage her staff well. All she does is put on a fake smiling and southern accent to try to win the parents over. Trust me, fair discipline does not happen here. The front office secretary, Ms. Dunston, has the tendency of looking down on parents and cutting them off when they request her services. She is truly a joke and a watchdog in every way for the principal. Ms. Leslie, who retired a month ago, was the best thing that ever happened to the front office @ MMS. She was truly genuine and often went out her way to help people. For her replacement , the principal has hired another "ghetto fabulous " secretary, to compliment Ms.Dunstan. This is all an effort to trick the parents into believing that she is a fair principal. Many of the teachers are unfriendly and act as if you are bothering them too much when you are actually seeking their help. Thankfully my child is leaving this school this year. I am truly saddened for the students that reside in this school's district. If you are new to this school , please don't fall for the "okie doke".

Posted March 30, 2011

I don't even have the words to describe how unsatisfied I am with this school. The 6th grade teachers that my child had were unprofessional and "ghetto" to say the least. Very unresponsive and seemed to totally lack common sense. The principal is even worse. She makes excuses for her staff and NEVER follows through. I don't think she has a clue. Her teachers tell her the sky is made of green cheese and she believes it. Even the substitute teachers are sub par. I am looking into another school for my child for the next school year. At this point, I'd rather move to another continent than to send my child back to Memorial. I advise you to do your research and find somewhere else for your child to enroll. This middle school is for the birds.

Posted March 6, 2011

There is a lot of bullying at this school and administration has a lackadaisical response--at best. My son befriended a female student who was bullied so severly that she developed an anxiety disorder and depression. If you are considering residing in the area districted, please save your child and select another district. The teachers have the appropriate credentials and many have advanced degrees; but, what they have on paper they lack in classroom management. The teachers can't manage their classes or the students and the administration can't manage the teachers. My son told me of two fights that happened while teachers were present in the classroom. This is unacceptable. We are exploring other options for the 2011-12 school year.

Posted March 5, 2010

I am an honor student, no behaviour problmes, good grades etc. In my personal opinion I think Memorial could do better. Discipline is a big problem. If you are a parent reading this, and your not comfortable w/ lots of peer pressure. Then this is not the right school for you. MMS is a really good school, but ceartin problems should be taken and handled more seriously. I got a lot of bullying and peer pressure, and those ARE 2 OF THE BIGGEST PROBLEMS. Awesome choice because of all the extracurricular but they could do a lot better in discipling students on certain acts and behaviours.
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 13, 2010

My thoughts upon the school is I am not impressed. The teachers are not equipped to handled certain special needs students and the school is lacking knowledge on how to handle kids on their individuals childs needs. And the tutoring is for the birds if you are in need special time and you learn different your in a world of let down. (Don't aspect it good luck with that if you are)

Posted September 16, 2009

mms is a great school but i wish that the teachers would be more active including trips and classwork sometimes i just dont get that school sometimes
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 16, 2008

Although the principle possesses good comminucation skills, the teachers need more training in patience. How are students supposed to react in a positive manner as far as learning and discipline if day in and day out all they listen to is constant screaming from their teachers. Respect is a two way street!

Posted December 17, 2007

My child attends MMS (6 grade). I am blessed to work at home so I can be more involved with my children at school. Unfortunately, there seems to be limited opportunities for parents to get involved at MMS. I've dealt with the Principal more than once. He is responsive and gets the job done. I can't say as much for the VP - I had to show up at the school for action to be taken. The band has had several teachers w/in the past 3 years - not sure of the past but the new band teacher is on the ball! Not at all pleased with any of the other teachers. The office staff is above average - very helpful. My child complains of the constant fighting, never soap in the restroom, and always needing to check the date on food. Overall, I'm disappointed coming from Barksdale.

Posted December 7, 2007

I recently transferred my daughter from Conyers Middle School. I was hesitant to have her in Memorial due to all the rumors and things that had been said before about this school online and locally. I have to say many reviews were way off-base. Granted, my daughter is in the PC program, so my experience may vary from others. However, I found them cooprative and encouraging to my child as a new student, as well as welcoming me as a parent in participating in may things going on in the school. Staff was pleasant and much more welcoming than at CMS. The school is much cleaner and upkeep more up to par to what I am use to. The cafeteria food is superior to CMS. The only drawback thus far is the lack of lockers, so kids have to share. This is my 1st review o stay tuned-it may change?

Posted July 15, 2007

We believe that administration is progressing to establish a balance of serving its students, parents, and teachers. Unfortunately, there is a wide disparity in outcomes due to more tolerance extended for unprofessional teachers compared to discipline of its students. As parents and professionals with a strong appreciation for education, we have been shocked at the unprofessionalism demostrated by some of the teachers as it relates to interacting with parents and students, as well as handling academic reports and assignments. We believe there are some who truly have a heart for being there, but there are others who really tarnish the image of this school and reduces parental confidence in the system. Another point - parental presence and questions are not welcomed by most of the teachers we interacted with. Volunteer for a fieldtrip or PTA event, great. Ask valid questions and you're shunned or marked. Our hope springs eternal~

Posted May 22, 2007

I would have to chime in simply to agree with the other statements. Memorial could be better. I am concerned about the leadership in the school. I had a problem with my child called the school, no response. Called the VP, no response. Went to the school and the problem was handled by an administrative assistant. In saying that I should commend her for her professionalism and more than effective method of handling things. However, this was an issue that required the attention of a Administrator. I am sorry to say that I feel Memorial is on the road to serious disrepair, which is terrible for those of us that still own homes here and have more children that will have to attend this school.

Posted May 9, 2007

I must express my views of Memorial Middle School as a current faculty member. This school has seen its better days--that's an absolute. The students have no chance of success until the Superintendent decides to place strong and experiences leaders in the school. The students are out of control and discipline is a low priority. Instruction suffers due to the lack of student control. The teachers are not supported by the administration. I don't know what the future is here, but it isn't looking real good.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 19, 2007

I have seen a deterioration in the level of instruction provided to my child this year. I am very disappointed that the administration and the teachers have not been able to initiate a school-wide discipline practice that supports student learning. Attempts to be more involved have been fruitless. Although I have had complaints, I also provide suggestions, many of which were reverted back to my child. I am very disappointed that each year their is more deterioration in the stature of this school environment. I am praying my son through successfully.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 92% in 2013.

260 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

256 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 96% in 2013.

259 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

263 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

264 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 93% in 2013.

256 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

250 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 95% in 2013.

255 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 85% in 2013.

277 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

277 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

266 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

258 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 97% in 2013.

263 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

273 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

273 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 82% in 2012.

259 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

Performing and written arts
  • Dance

Health & athletics

• Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Andrea McMahan
Fax number
  • (770) 922-6192

• Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

• Dance

School culture

• Volunteer time after school
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3205 Underwood Rd SE