Alcovy High School

Public | 9-12

Posted May 19, 2014

My 4th child graduates this Friday. Her entire career at this school, all spent in AP classes, she was assigned one ridiculous, elemntary-school project after another. Building dioramas and making scrapboooks in her senior AP Macro class, yet she was never ONCE assigned to write a RESEARCH paper. The school has NO discipline and the course work is a JOKE. My kids took 4-5 AP classes at a time AND worked part time jobs and breezed through them like they were in 1st grade.

Posted July 28, 2013

I had a great high school experience here. Class of 2013. I'm really going to miss it. Most of the teachers are amazing, although a few fell through the cracks. Ms Boyim is the greatest math teacher in the history of math! If you struggle in math, try to get her as your teacher and you'll soar,

Posted May 13, 2013

This year class of 2013, I have my 4th and final Alcovy graduate. I read these reviews they don't reflect my experience at all. I had class of 07..08..11and, 13. I now have a medical student graduated from USA now attending John Hopkins, a graduate of VSU now attending UGA vet program, and My 2011 graduate is a VSU upcoming Jr in theteachers pprogram. I credit their success to the preparation they received at this high school. I understand that experiences are very different but personally I was very involved in their high school life. I always volunteered, ask questions, had conferences etc. If I found something I didn't like, I spoke up. I also noticed it's always the same parents that show up. Overall this is a great school. Great academic structure, great sports, and extra curricular activities. Lots of students. These students have amazing opportunity if they choose to take advantage of it. My best advice is to remember education and behavior starts at home. Do as I did and take a good look at all causes before putting the blame on your school especially one that provides so many great things. I am very proud of our school.

Posted January 24, 2013

WE moved here from AL last August. I've waited to submit my review so that it could be as subjective as possible. I DONT believe Alcovy HS is a terrible school. It isn't the best-certainly not the worst! Eastside boasts its ranking of an 8 but Alcovy w/ its 7 beat Eastside in many of the statewide testing subjects in 2012 incl. football. A lot of our children's success comes from the parents. Too many parents depend on the teacher's & school system to teach their kids. I've discovered that the more involved I'm w/ my kids th hm wrk-schools-the better they do. Yes-there are lousy teacher's who shouldn't teach-but that's in every profession. Alcovy HS is a decent school. I had the opportunity to buy a hm in the much coveted OLA district/ McDonough but chose not to. Covington is a GREAT place to raise a family-religious w/ conservative views. I'm very happy to have my children enrolled in the schools here. My daughter has all AP classes-some gifted & my son has made all A''s as long as he's been in school. Get involved. Get to know the teacher's, counselor's & principal. Does your child need a tutor? Let's work together in getting GA schools back on the map!

Posted December 18, 2012

This school is horrible!!!!! Do not move here or enroll your teens if you care about their future. The kids are beyond control and are a bunch of hoodlums. I am here but trust we are moving. I thought it was a good school, especially since its new but Newton county redrew the school lines so now ALL of the ghetto kids attend. Omg I cannot wait to move!!!!!!! Its an urgent must now.

Posted May 14, 2012

I have a senior who made honor roll this year and also honor roll for 9-12 grades. Her teachers really made it possible for her to really be something when she graduates. I have a junior son who is doing well in his classes and loves his teachers. On the other hand, I have a 9th grader in which I am having problems with teachers and grades. He is not getting the help he needs and teachers don't put the grades in a timely manner which brings down his grades. They don't have time to help him. They rather threaten writing him up or ISS or give me a call when something happens after he has repeatedly told you he doesn't understand. A certain teacher compares him to my other children there and tell THEM how he is behaving and whether or not he is passing or not. He is very frustrated and I am an involved parent. They need to work on their 9th grade teachers to help them deal better and do what it takes to help children who has learning disabilities.

Posted March 15, 2010

i feel that majority of the teachers are failing at their job terribly. the school is more concerned with phones than drugs.

Posted December 15, 2009

Both of my honor roll children seem to be getting a great education here. They both have been honor roll students since they began 3 years ago.

Posted January 27, 2009

There are alot of issues that the teachers dont deal with. Behavior or grades. I have a teacher that everytime i go to ask her about my grades she blows me off completely and tells me that she isnt talking about it right now. But then again she never wants to talk about it. The teachers are not willing to help the students reach their goals or with work, grades, or anything for that matter. You have to constantly stay on the teachers about your grades because either they dont put in your make up work, or they arent putting in the grades period. Behavior in the class rooms is rediculous. Teachers let students get away with everything. They warn them so many times that they are going to write them up or send them out, but none of them ever do. This school is a joke.

Posted January 19, 2009

My child has been attending alcovy since the school opened. I think that the school needs alot of work to do. My daughter has not had a science teacher until she was in the 11th grade.That is not needed!! They want our kids to pass the GHSGT test and they arent preparing them for it. Alcovy has dropped the ball on there students, If you want them to pass the GHSGT then get them ready for it!! Alcovy get on the ball!!!!

Posted December 8, 2008

Ever since I arrived at alcovy high school, I have not been dissapointed......The staff is great, and I have never been with an administration who has fun with the students, as well as having control over them. Even though we may be a new school, we are living up to our expectations and exceeding them, while rising to new standards......... I am a freshman and all of my core classes are above average, and I am getting all a's. Other students are not hindering my education, and are certaintly not non working. I know people who work harder than myself, but due to thier life, cannot handle the work load of an ap or a honors class so 4 all thoz hataz out der, alcovy tigaz gna alwayz be on top, and aint gna eva stop that is basically how it is and will be

Posted December 3, 2008

This is the first year that my son has attended Alcovy high school and this is the first year that I have not had to make numerous visited to my childs school. his behavior has changed 100%. I love the communitcatiion that the teachers provide as well as showing and proving that they care about all the students at Alcovy high School. I wonder was I ever going to have a normal school year and I had to travel many miles to get it but I hae it. Thank You Staff at Alcovy high along with students and parents. Everyone that has anything to do with Alcovy please don't forget to pat yourself on the back because I see a job well done by all. totally satisfied parent.

Posted September 19, 2008

This is the 1st year that my daughters are attending Alcovy High School. I have been very happy with the shool and teachers. The teachers do a great job communicating and they seem to be really concerned with my children's education. My girls are also very happy with the school...they said it was not very cliquish and everyone seems to get along. I look forward to 3 more great years at Alcovy. Happy Parent

Posted September 15, 2008

This is an amazing school people try to put us down since we are new, but we have ecellent academics and wonderfull teachers

Posted September 4, 2008

Alcovy is a fantastic school.I was a student there until i transered to eagles landing high school in henry county and if i had the choice i would really go back to alcovy.The teachers trhere are very nice and love to teach also.I really love that school and i would never say ne thing bad about alcovy high school in covington georgia.

Posted August 25, 2008

Alcovy High School has its good qualities, but the bad qualities outweigh the good. This school has very little organization. This is highly due to the fact that administration doesn't work up to potential. I understand that in the beginning of a school year, things are hectic. The problem is, students are forced to stay in these classes that they do not belong in for entirely too long. This is not only hindering the students who have been put into the wrong classes, but it hinders teachers from being able to begin teaching at an appropriate point in the school year. Another issue that I have only recently seen is the lack of respect for teachers. This year I began my first average classes, and I was shocked to see the way that my fellow classmates treat our teachers. The school does not take care enough to deal with these problems.

Posted July 1, 2008

I don't think Alcovy has lived up to its expectations or potential. People often ask me how I have liked teaching at Alcovy, and it is hard to answer. I have had some good experiences, but I am afraid the bad outweighs the good. The discipline is out of control - the administration is afraid to deal with some of the worst problem students in the school, and run-of-the-mill discipline issues take weeks to resolve - often with no real consequence. With that being said, the students seem to know they can do whatever they want. For two years, student schedules have been a disaster - kids in the wrong classes, in the wrong course of study, in the wrong level of classes. I hope steps are taken in years to come to fix that problem. There are plenty of good kids at Alcovy, but more than plenty who don't care about education.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 21, 2008

It is true that little is done to deal with the problem of apathetic and delinquent students, as far as I have seen. The students who are simply there because they have to be not only impede the learning of other students but also stress the teachers and keep them from doing their jobs at their best. It is unfortunate that the administration cares so much about the absences and tardies to maintain their precious funding but do so little to remove unwanted distractions from the classroom. This lack of discipline along with the terrible academic policies of the school (including the forcing of average and advanced students together, which goes hand-in-hand with my previous grievance, and the lack of foresight in implementing the traditional six-block schedule at the school in stead of 4x4 block scheduling) has led me to dislike this school greatly. I wish I was at Eastside High.

Posted March 8, 2008

The school is not helping the student reach their goals or the standards they need to reach to graduate.

Posted January 22, 2008

The school is an okay, but not all the classes are advanced enough for the more gifted students at the school.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

371 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2011.

368 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 93% in 2011.

373 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 80% in 2011.

374 students were tested at this school in 2011.

2009

Scale: % at or above passing

In 2010-2011 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Graduation Test (GHSGT) in English language arts, math, science and social studies to students in grade 11. The GHSGT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass all parts of the GHSGT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 95% in 2013.

386 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Writing Test (GHSWT) to students in grade 11. The GHSWT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass the GHSWT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

508 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

525 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

496 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

370 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

469 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

465 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

393 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

• LaQuanda Brown

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

14567 Highway 36