Alcovy High School 2

Posted October 20, 2014
This school lacks leadership and accountability. I do know the principle is new so I will give her a chance. This school is full of hoodlums and not because it's quite a few African Americans but because of the mentality. I am African American and I don't want my son at this school. Also some of the administrators think they are better than the parents and are very dismissive. My son had to defend himself and was suspended as well. I do understand zero tolerance but when I tried to ask questions I was quickly cut off and reminded that she had her doctorates degree. She assumed that I was uneducated and that my son was raised in a single parent home. He hasn't had a real biology teacher since he's been there and there is no structure in his classrooms. I'm totally disappointed.

Posted May 19, 2014
My 4th child graduates this Friday. Her entire career at this school, all spent in AP classes, she was assigned one ridiculous, elemntary-school project after another. Building dioramas and making scrapboooks in her senior AP Macro class, yet she was never ONCE assigned to write a RESEARCH paper. The school has NO discipline and the course work is a JOKE. My kids took 4-5 AP classes at a time AND worked part time jobs and breezed through them like they were in 1st grade.

Posted July 28, 2013
I had a great high school experience here. Class of 2013. I'm really going to miss it. Most of the teachers are amazing, although a few fell through the cracks. Ms Boyim is the greatest math teacher in the history of math! If you struggle in math, try to get her as your teacher and you'll soar,

Posted May 13, 2013
This year class of 2013, I have my 4th and final Alcovy graduate. I read these reviews they don't reflect my experience at all. I had class of 07..08..11and, 13. I now have a medical student graduated from USA now attending John Hopkins, a graduate of VSU now attending UGA vet program, and My 2011 graduate is a VSU upcoming Jr in theteachers pprogram. I credit their success to the preparation they received at this high school. I understand that experiences are very different but personally I was very involved in their high school life. I always volunteered, ask questions, had conferences etc. If I found something I didn't like, I spoke up. I also noticed it's always the same parents that show up. Overall this is a great school. Great academic structure, great sports, and extra curricular activities. Lots of students. These students have amazing opportunity if they choose to take advantage of it. My best advice is to remember education and behavior starts at home. Do as I did and take a good look at all causes before putting the blame on your school especially one that provides so many great things. I am very proud of our school.

Alcovy High School 3

Posted January 24, 2013
WE moved here from AL last August. I've waited to submit my review so that it could be as subjective as possible. I DONT believe Alcovy HS is a terrible school. It isn't the best-certainly not the worst! Eastside boasts its ranking of an 8 but Alcovy w/ its 7 beat Eastside in many of the statewide testing subjects in 2012 incl. football. A lot of our children's success comes from the parents. Too many parents depend on the teacher's & school system to teach their kids. I've discovered that the more involved I'm w/ my kids th hm wrk-schools-the better they do. Yes-there are lousy teacher's who shouldn't teach-but that's in every profession. Alcovy HS is a decent school. I had the opportunity to buy a hm in the much coveted OLA district/ McDonough but chose not to. Covington is a GREAT place to raise a family-religious w/ conservative views. I'm very happy to have my children enrolled in the schools here. My daughter has all AP classes-some gifted & my son has made all A''s as long as he's been in school. Get involved. Get to know the teacher's, counselor's & principal. Does your child need a tutor? Let's work together in getting GA schools back on the map!

Posted December 18, 2012
This school is horrible!!!!! Do not move here or enroll your teens if you care about their future. The kids are beyond control and are a bunch of hoodlums. I am here but trust we are moving. I thought it was a good school, especially since its new but Newton county redrew the school lines so now ALL of the ghetto kids attend. Omg I cannot wait to move!!!!!!! Its an urgent must now.

Alcovy High School 2

Posted May 14, 2012
I have a senior who made honor roll this year and also honor roll for 9-12 grades. Her teachers really made it possible for her to really be something when she graduates. I have a junior son who is doing well in his classes and loves his teachers. On the other hand, I have a 9th grader in which I am having problems with teachers and grades. He is not getting the help he needs and teachers don't put the grades in a timely manner which brings down his grades. They don't have time to help him. They rather threaten writing him up or ISS or give me a call when something happens after he has repeatedly told you he doesn't understand. A certain teacher compares him to my other children there and tell THEM how he is behaving and whether or not he is passing or not. He is very frustrated and I am an involved parent. They need to work on their 9th grade teachers to help them deal better and do what it takes to help children who has learning disabilities.

Posted March 15, 2010
i feel that majority of the teachers are failing at their job terribly. the school is more concerned with phones than drugs.

Posted December 15, 2009
Both of my honor roll children seem to be getting a great education here. They both have been honor roll students since they began 3 years ago.

Alcovy High School 3

Posted March 26, 2009

Alcovy High School
14567 Highway 36, Covington, GA  30014
Last modified Alcovy High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Alcovy High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top