Cumming, GA
Students enrolled: 1,273

Posted February 13, 2015
Both my children have grown up at Sawnee and we couldn't be happier. Loving teachers, excellent academics and wonderful family activities. Great special education services.

Posted January 30, 2015
The teachers are wonderful, dedicated, and caring. My oldest child has been there kdg-5th and our youngest is in Kdg. The instruction has been individualized, creative, yet structured. The teachers are wonderful! My kids have learned a lot. However, beyond the classroom, mediocrity is acceptable. There is very little enrichment opportunity for the students. The art program is very weak. The school is the largest school in the county, but offers less to the students and community than any school I have ever seen. Being an educator and a tax payer, I believe that the school should be a "hub" to the community. Instead, the bell rings at 3pm and the doors close shortly thereafter. They have 2 cafeterias and 2 free-standing gymnasiums which could be utilized for scout groups, enrichment programs, and sport teams. We have requested use and rapidly told a flat no. Other schools in the district are not this way. The administration controls this and it is time for a change.

Posted January 29, 2015
This is my child's 1st year at Sawnee, as we have been at a local Montessori school for years. Sawnee has excellent teachers, and my child's two teachers (she's in 5th grade) are two of the best teachers I have ever seen. I had actually requested that she be placed in her homeroom teacher's room, and we were thrilled when we found out that he would be her teacher this year! He teaches her Math and Science, and because of him, her grades have been excellent. And her teacher for ELA and Social studies is exceptional. Brilliant teacher, very creative and engaging who is close to being finished with her PhD. Plus both of them have excellent control of their classrooms (not an easy task, I know). But everyone, and I mean everyone, we work with from the school nurse, office support staff, Assistant Principal and the building maintenance staff ALL want the absolute best for my child. I wish we had moved to Forsyth County years ago just so we could have come to Sawnee Elementary sooner!

Posted June 02, 2012
This was the best school ever I loved my daughter's Math teacher Mr.Pagan he helped her get a 92 and she used to not be all that good in Math Thanks Mr.Pagan!!!!

Posted November 04, 2010
This is our first year at Sawnee. We love it! I have 3 children at the school and all have excellent teachers. We are so fortunate to attend such a great school in such a large county. We have tried private schools in the past and are so pleased to have made the decision to move to Sawnee Elementary!

Posted October 24, 2010
Closed minded management/school leadership. It seems that the hiring of migrating teachers from big cities are the ones holding this still rural school together. We need more competent professionals in the school system here in Forsyth county.

Posted April 19, 2010
Being a teacher myself, I am very critical of any elementary school. Sawnee has been a wonderful experience for my daughter. She has a solid foundation to the start of her education.

Posted September 16, 2009
This year is my son's 3rd year at Sawnee. He is a second grader. I have loved all his teachers from K-2. Great programs and the teachers are paying extra attention to my son's advance reeading needs. I am glad I enrolled him at Sawnee!

Posted July 15, 2009

Posted May 27, 2009
Sawnee seems to be improving from a small rural school to a more competitive school due to the growth in the area. However, the class sizes are too large. My son had a first year teacher with 27 kids in her class. I noticed that all the other 4th grade and 5th grade classes this year also had 27+ kids. A teacher cannot truly teach 27 kids. When I called to speak to the Principal, I never received a call back. Also, in previous years they handled a bullying situtation very lightly. I would love to see this school succeed, however, with overcrowding, I do not see that happening. I am hoping that a charter school will be built soon.

Sawnee Elementary School
1616 Canton Hwy, Cumming, GA  30040
Last modified Sawnee Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sawnee Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top