Blackburn Elementary School

Public | K-5

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted February 24, 2014

Blackburn is a great environment for learning. The principal is involved and has the right priorities, and the teachers actually want the kids to learn to their potential. The teachers went out of their way to accommodate my child's needs. We have been in lots of states with different approaches to learning and this is the best experience so far (4 states later). We hope to come back soon so our youngest can go to this school too! I can't give a 5 star because of the large class sizes.

Posted April 28, 2013

This school is great - with pay cuts and huge class size (not the teacher's choice), they are still loving on our children and helping them grow to become better people. I would highly recommend this school to people moving into the area. My kindergartener is doing great and I can't wait for my other children to go through school there, too.

Posted March 2, 2012

I can't say enough about this school. I currently have 1 child there who has been there since kindergarten and now in 4th grade. My son was there for 2 years before going to middle school. They have been welcoming and accomodating from day one! Everyone goes above and beyond!

Posted October 26, 2011

I WISH I COULD SAY GOOD THINGS ABOUT BES but I can't they have too many kids in a class so some of the kids are getting left behind..My son was left behind from the very begining. BES is not a good place for kids!!!

Posted May 21, 2010

The teachers at this school have been wonderful with my children (even the one that has problems focusing and staying on task). The administration has always been helpful and responsive although I have been warned not to approach the principal if she's having a bad day. The children also get music, art, and computer lab which are not offered in many larger districts. My only complaint is that there are no after school clubs, but I was told that is because all of the students are bussed. A shame though.

Posted May 20, 2010

The faculty are all wonderful. The teachers know you and your children by name. Safety is the number one concern along with education. It makes you as a parent feel at ease knowing your child is cared for the way that they are here at Blackburn. I have been to many other schools and this is the first school that I feel that the teachers really care about our children. They take care of them like they were their own. I am proud of our school!

Posted October 16, 2009

Wow, some of these reviews are really old! My experience with BES has been great -- not perfect, but what is? The staff genuinely care about the students and are always looking for new ways to help my kids learn. The principal is passionate about the students, especially the special needs kids. If I had a special needs child, I would want them to be at BES because they really want them to succeed. BES has more students than the other elementary schools, but really works to provide every opportunity for parents and kids to improve. I have not noticed any 'clickiness', but many on staff have lived in the county all their lives - maybe that is what a few people notice? I have really enjoyed being part of the CUB club (as a classroom volunteer). Being involved makes me appreciate how hard everyone at BES works to help kids.

Posted July 25, 2009

I have had two children with learning disabilites at this school. Both of them have had a great experience. When the school opened I had some trouble getting the help my child needed, but after learning what needed to be done for my child, everything has been great! Both of my children have greatly improved. I am very thankful for the experience we as a family have had.

Posted July 25, 2008

BES has a long way to go to become a good school. The administration is nonresponsive to problems and parent input and deals very poorly with discipline problems. The bus is out of control, the driver has no authority and the administration refuse to deal with the students who are problems. Emphasis is placed on attendance rather than achievement and the curriculum is lacking. There is no writing curriculum in place. As an involved parent willing to work with the school, there is much more that can be done to benefit the children there.

Posted January 31, 2008

I personally think the teachers and the staff are great, they always involve you in whats going on in the school and the classroom. I think parents should try to get more involved with their child and school and maybe the would not think the school did not have a 'click' going on. The only thing that I think needs to be improved is the food ( sorry ladies it's just not good). There would be alot less waste if the food improved.

Posted January 5, 2008

My children have been going to BES for a couple of months now and they love the school. From the very first day the teachers and students have been very nice and welcoming. I am very pleased with this school! I am looking foward to helping with the teachers and school.

Posted December 28, 2007

I too have mixed feelings about this school. I feel that on one hand they sentd things home inviting parents, but not really wanting us involved. This is a very 'clicky' school. Curriclum at this school is filled with to many worksheets and not enough hands on. Principal is not friendly. The staff is very stand-offish.

Posted October 10, 2007

I have mixed feelings about the school as a whole. The ladies in the front are very nice and friendly. The assist principal not so helpful. More of a problem than a solution. The counciler is always to busy. But my 5th grader is doing great. I love all the the 5th grade teachers, and my 2nd graders teacher is awesome. Very involved with her students. IEP and EIP are amazing. But my kindergarten is not so lucky. We as parents just need to be more involved. And hopefully not seen as a problem being so involved.

Posted May 29, 2007

I love BES my child who has special needs done very well and was doing better every day they followed her IEP and called me with any concerns my adhd child also had the help she needed which is a challenge at any school I want to go back to that district

Posted February 9, 2007

I would like to say that I am very happy with school. At BES, the teachers that my children have are excellent. Both my children are A students. They do not have any problems in school. The problem is the bus. The bus driver has no control.

Posted November 26, 2006

I really wish I could say something good about this school, but the truth is Blackburn is NOT a good place for kids. There are a lot of very rough kids at Blackburn, and the administration refuses to deal with them appropriately. They insist upon using the 'C.A.R.E.' system for managing student behavior, but this system is very ineffective, especially in the upper grades. Problem students sent to the office are often given candy by the administration and just sent back to the classroom. Teachers seem overworked and bogged down by paperwork that takes time away from teaching our children. Teacher morale seems very low and conflicts exist between many of the faculty. The administration is unwilling to address the many problems that exist at Blackburn, and strive only to maintain the status quo. The problems became so bad I finally had to withdraw my children.

Posted October 23, 2006

We are new to Blackburn but not to Lumpkin county. I was not real happy with LCES but so far I would have to say I am even more unhappy with BES. I agree that pickup is idiotic, there is no family connection, the school events schedule is nonexistent, parent support seems to be very low, class size is to high for lower grades,outside time should be an absolute(not when the teacher decides they have time), library time should be a class requirement and there should be sufficient help for the students in the library, and I feel lumpkin county curriculum in general is mediocre at best no students are pushed to excel beyond the norm (and that norm would not even stand up to a major city norm).

Posted October 18, 2006

I have to say that as a parent of a 5th grader, the 5th grade teachers really have their act together. The students are challenged in math and reading and are prepared for the CRCT every year. Great job!

Posted October 17, 2006

This school has its issues! The office staff is, at best, working against each other. Support of the staff is caotic. It is a new school and trying to be like a well established one. Pick up is nothing but a mess! Progress is not out of the question, just be aware of the Rules!

Posted September 20, 2006

I believe that BES should send care folders home on Friday; this way we have time to look over work and talk about what happen the same week it happened in. I also feel that the teachers are very helpful in finding ways for you to help your child by giving you more work to do at home with them. My experience is that they don't really take the time to help your children if they have trouble with something.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

126 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

125 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

126 students were tested at this school in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

117 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

• Susan Burrell
Fax number
  • (706) 864-8176

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

45 Blackburn Rd