Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Student (1 response)

Grateful to: Student

Posted April 12, 2016
Simply all of my friends for giving me a laugh during the day and checking up on me

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted April 12, 2016
The teachers don't treat students with respect all the time and still look at us as kids instead of as developing adults

Dawson County High School 2

Posted April 12, 2016
I am a student at this high school and I am not happy. One of the teachers doesn't care what students do during class so they don't get work done. Another teacher give so many "think times" that students are getting written up for no reason (we think it's because the teacher is bored) and the other teacher is quite nice but a little over the place. The new principle is stern and fits the principle role well but she needs to figure out how this school will run. The students here are unhappy and so am I. Some are discipline and are treated as discipline but those there for middle college or credit recovery are being treated as discipline as well and it's unfair in my opinion. I guess if I had to pick what was good about the school was we get 15 min breaks between classes and Most of the students are nice to each other.

Dawson County High School 1

Posted March 26, 2016
I transferred from a public high school in the mid-west to Dawson County when I was a sophomore. After the first half of my first school year, the system decided it could not accept any of my credits from my previous school, putting me back a year and into night school with delinquents, when I was previously a straight A student. Besides getting made fun of incessantly for being a "Yankee" to the point of harassment, I gradually gave up on the system and dropped out to obtain my GED and start college early (without any help from this horrible educational facility). My sophomore year I had the highest writing test score in the district and one of the highest in the entire state but my English teacher at this school gave me an F because I didn't follow her specific writing style. The former Art teacher also repeatedly told me I was not a real artist, and was always in the dark room getting high (everybody knew ..... just saying). This is a horrible school with no diversity, and what diversity there is, is subjected to harassment and sever social isolation. Racism is very much alive in this school. I was shocked when I moved here. I sincerely hope it gets better. From, A degree holding student Dawson County tried to leave behind

Posted July 28, 2014
Quite a success! A very interesting combination of highly motivated teachers and students of all education backgrounds. Graduates range from technical school students to attendees of high-ranking national universities. It really is a "hidden gem" north of the 'burbs. Not a highly diverse group of students, but very accepting of all beliefs and cultures. System has disproportionate funding... Very high funding for buildings/improvements, low funding for bandwidth/textbooks. This is a growing system to get into, though. Very soon it will be competing with schools like Milton/Alpharetta/Lambert/South Forsyth/GSMST.

Posted July 26, 2013
We moved into the school distrct last year and my kids love it. Very small town feeling rather than the neighboring schools that are overloaded. My only concern is that they keep cutting activities, teachers, and spending. I know that is is par for the economy but we really shoudn't be taking so much away from the schools.

Dawson County High School 4

Posted September 05, 2011
My children have gone to Dawson County Schools since Pre-k. I have one child who is in the Special Needs curriculum and this school system has, with a great amount of parent /teacher involvement, educated my child and helped to determine that he is not an ADHD student, which is all the rage these days, that he in fact has a central neuro processing disorder. He doesnt take any meds. He only needs a more hands on approach to his teaching which has been custom fitted for him by the excellent teaching and administrative staff at DCHS. He will graduate this year and upon finishing his 2nd year of JR ROTC hopes to join the National Guard. As for the school in general, the student body is a very normal group of kids with no gang activity and a very low occcurrence of drug related disciplinary problems that are more common in other metro schools. For anyone to suggest that comming to this school system would subject an African American student to treatment reminiscent of the 60s is just plain ignorrant and would tend to make me question thier own racist views. This is a great school in a great school system. one of the few that I have experienced with traditional values.

Dawson County High School 1

Posted July 17, 2011
It is amazing to me that this school received glowing remarks. My child attended this school last year, and her experience was certainly different than what is being expresses here. The only thing missing is the "whites only" signs from the 60s, but the mentality is still prevelent in this school. My daughter is an all honors student, has been since Jr high school, and excexcelled st the highest levels at Johns Creek Hs. If you're African American, stay clear of this school unless you want to be transported back ro more racist times.

Dawson County High School 4

Posted October 31, 2009
I graduated from DHCS last year. My teachers did their job in preparing me for college as I am currently enrolled at North Georgia College and State University. However, I do agree with what I read about the sports program in a previous post. The school does put too much focus on football, especially when it has the worst winning record in the school. I played soccer at Dawson for 4 years and not one season did we have a green field. I would pay a ridiculous amount of money to sit in the stands and watch our football team lose on a perfectly green and cut field, and then come spring, our soccer team would break school records while playing in a mudpit. Overall, DCHS is a great school with plenty of opportunity for its students.

Posted August 27, 2008
as a former student here i have to say i loved this school all the teachers are great, my faves were mrs buesey, ms jernigan,mr hoffman,and of course ms hussey

1665 Perimeter Rd, Dawsonville, GA  30534
Last modified Dawson County High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.