PK-8|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

At Arbor, our mission is to develop the unique capabilities of each child through supportive relationships, joyful learning and meaningful work in a Montessori environment. We seek to foster independence in each child, preparing him or her to contribute with integrity to the community of the larger world. We always welcome phone calls and visits to learn more about our school. We also encourage you to visit our website, www.ArborMontessori.org,, to learn more about why we are the preeminent Montessori school in the Southeast.
December 16, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (9 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (9 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

My granddaughter is very pleased with her teachers and holds them in high regard. They are hard-working and serious professional educators who have a deep interest in guiding young adolescents.

Amount of homework: Agree

Arbor's Adolescent Program takes a realistic approach toward homework and only assigns work that is appropriate for the growth, interests and needs of each young person. Although sometimes the work is rigorous, my granddaughter's homework assignments seem to be good preparation for what she will soon encounter in high school.

My granddaughter attends Arbor Montessori School and is in the Adolescent Program there. She absolutely loves her school and its close-knit and cooperative adolescent classroom community. The work required is rigorous, but meaningful, purposeful and joyful. Recently, when I expressed amazement at some of her work, I asked her, "How do you know all this?" She replied confidently, "Because I go to a really, really good school." And that tells the real story.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

I must say that I have not seen or heard of any experiences with bullying among my granddaughter's peers in the Adolescent Program at Arbor Montessori School. I feel strongly that this is a direct result of the approach to teaching and learning for these young people. Their work is rigorous, yet has a clear purpose and is meaningful. They work side-by-side to communicate with each other, to learn, to organize and to run their community. Everyone in the mixed-age classroom contributes and feels worth. The students have community meetings each day to make plans, discuss problems and evaluate their progress. The result is RESPECT for each other.

Supports LD students: Agree

Although my adolescent granddaughter does not have special learning differences that require unique support, I have observed that Arbor Montessori School provides individual learning accommodations at all levels when it is possible and reasonable within their environment. Most recently, the school has even begun an intense Orton-Gillingham training program for the faculty so that some learning differences can be addressed in the classroom.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

The leadership team at Arbor Montessori is effective because they are excellent at attracting passionate and dedicated teachers, they work incredibly hard, they communicate well and they truly care about each student. I'm grateful that my granddaughter can be a student in Arbor's Adolescent Program in this environment with such caring teachers and administrators!

Develops character: Strongly agree

Arbor Montessori School does not need to have a character-building "Word of the Week" as proof that it tries to instill good citizenship habits in students. Throughout my granddaughter's years in the Adolescent Program, I have always observed the staff's respectful treatment of each student and their recognition that each student has different strengths and challenges. The total curriculum is designed to respond to adolescent concerns such as belonging, social justice and personal dignity. Developing strong character components such as integrity, compassion and respect is an integral and naturally interwoven part of the Adolescent Program, and I consistently see the real-world evidence in my granddaughter.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Yes, the teachers are amazing, understanding, creative and know how to get the children excited for learning!!

I really can not speak highly enough about our experience at Arbor Montessori School. My eldest child joined Arbor in 1st grade when we relocated to Atlanta and graduated 8th grade this year with straight A's. My youngest has attended from 3 years old and is now a 6th grader who can hardly wait to transition to the adolescent program next year. On every level Arbor has had such a positive impact on our family. Educationally, both of my children have thrived beautifully throughout the years. Combined with achieving excellently academically they have both loved coming to school each and every day and showed huge enthusiasm for every aspect of learning. My youngest child has dyslexia. In addition to her schoolwork at Arbor, she sees an Orten Gillingham tutor every week which is organized by us but completely supported by her teacher and coordinator in terms of feedback and communication regarding her progress, areas of concern and follow up. The school is currently hosting an Orten Gillingham training program for faculty in order that they can further support the needs of these students day to day. Also Arbor embraced us as a family when we arrived. We can truly say that through joining in with the fun school and classroom events and feeling so welcome and included we felt right at home here at Arbor and newly in Atlanta. It has been a joy to watch my kids grow, thrive and take flight throughout this wonderful school.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

Yes, there is no homework until the end of 6th grade, before that home work is exactly that - home work; feeding the dog, emptying the dishwasher, taking out the trash etc etc.

Last modified Arbor Montessori is a Private school that serves grades PK-8