PK-8|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

At Arbor, our mission is to develop the unique capabilities of each child through supportive relationships, joyful learning and meaningful work in a Montessori environment. We seek to foster independence in each child, preparing him or her to contribute with integrity to the community of the larger world. We always welcome phone calls and visits to learn more about our school. We also encourage you to visit our website, www.ArborMontessori.org,, to learn more about why we are the preeminent Montessori school in the Southeast.
December 16, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (8 responses)
Currently, most people answered Effective (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (2 responses)

Grateful to: Student

Posted March 23, 2016
I am grateful to 1) the students that i have known through the years that have introduced me to the Montessori way. and 2) the teachers who have helped to mould my child.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted March 23, 2016
The teachers that I have had experience with have been wonderful. The fact that my child has the same teacher for 3 years at a time has been an advantage as there has not been any down time in her learning and development, but rather a continuation.

Posted March 23, 2016
I knew nothing about the Montessori educational system before my daughter attended other than my experiences with students of Arbor. I have family practice dental office and have cared for a great number of children over the years. What I can tell you is that every child that has come through my practice that attends Arbor has been a delight to see in the office. They have been articulate, engaging, mature, and can be in the conversation rather than one word answers or less than enlightening behavior. I've observed them through the years move on to higher education and careers and I know that they are successful in part because of the environment they have been educated in at Arbor. My child is now a 3rd year and can measure up academically with any child her age, but excels socially.

Posted March 21, 2016
Our children have both attended Arbor since beginning in the primary program. They are currently both in the elementary program. Both of them enjoy going to school and seem interested in and happy about the work that they do. We feel fortunate that both children have, so far, experienced placement in classrooms where they have been nurtured, challenged and encouraged. We have felt that our parent teacher conferences show that the teachers have a good understanding of our children and of their needs and any difficulties that they may be facing. We have felt, especially in these elementary years, that we are part of a team that is working together to help our children be their best selves. For us, the overall experience at Arbor to this point has been overwhelmingly positive and we feel that "the proof is in the pudding" as we see our children learning and growing in very positive directions. They love their school!

Arbor Montessori 2

Posted February 15, 2016
As a graduate of the Arbor Montessori Adolescent Program who is currently in my junior year of high school, my experience of arbor was sub-par. Some of this probably had to do with my health, but truly my experiences with some of the teachers were horrendous. some of these teachers have left, but they were still in the school for a matter of years. The eighth grade math teacher ignored the needs of her students and physically snatched objects from my hands, which was completely inappropriate. A humanities teacher told me that I could not have the role of robin hood because i was a girl, as she said it would have too many "lesbian undertones". As a closeted trans and gay person at that time, it was absolutely disheartening. Overall, most teachers barely payed attention to students and often let us out into the central area of the classroom unsupervised, expecting us to work on our own, which of course we did not. I had to work with a math tutor for supplementary lessons from my lack of learning from my math class. I was also harshly bullied by many students, and upon telling the teachers, nothing was done. At all. This school might have just not been a good fit for me in particular, and i cannot speak for the other classes and programs, but please consider this review before sending your child to the adolescent program.

Posted February 02, 2016
Arbor Montessori has been great for our two boys. Our experience with public schools with our oldest was not great, so we determined to look for a private school for his brothers. We were looking for a school for these two when we happened upon Arbor. Although we were a bit skeptical of the method initially, we have been ecstatic at the results. Both children are far ahead of where the oldest was in the same grade. They are also learning how to manage themselves and to be self-disciplined, in addition to the curriculum. We constantly get comments about how our children know both academics and life skills. From a very early age, they have been cleaning their rooms and doing laundry, responsibilities they learned at Montessori. They have been writing research papers since first grade. Our ten year old asked us if it was ok if he studied algebra on his own! The school had developed the ability to both manage their day and a high level of academic proficiency. We actually couldn't be more pleased, and the school is small enough that it feels like family. Recommended.

Posted January 26, 2016
Our children have been at Arbor for six years. During that time, we have had a great experience. We have found the teachers to be collaborative with each other and with parents. It's a fantastic environment for our children where they are respected and treated as the unique individuals that they are. We appreciate very much the time and the care that the teachers take to ensure that our children are receiving a well-rounded, quality education that will serve as an incredible base for higher education and a lifetime full of a love of learning!

Posted January 23, 2016
My son has been at Arbor Montessori School for the last 4 years starting in lower elementary (1st grade) and this year in upper elementary (4th) and we love it! Montessori schools have multi-age classrooms that offer freedom within a structured learning environment where children are able to work at their own pace. Once the teacher gives the child a lesson they then continue to work on the lesson until they fully master it. This can be done alone or in small groups. Often the teacher will pair older children with younger ones to help them when learning new ideas. This helps reinforce the lesson to the younger child. And through this process the older child also gains a deeper understanding of the lesson, builds his/her own self-confidence and self esteem all while modeling cooperative learning. Starting in 1st grade they record what they are working on throughout the day in a work journal. When the teacher reviews their journals she points out where the child will need to focus his/her attention so that all subjects/materials are covered. One might think that with all this free choice that the classroom would be chaotic and that the children wouldn't accomplish any real learning but on the contrary the children understand that their are certain rules such as keeping the room orderly, not to disturb others while they are working, to be productive and to accomplish the goals/tasks that they have decided on with their teacher. The classroom is like a busy little bee hive where everyone is doing their part. If someone does not follow the rules the teacher or her assistant will calmly remind the children what they should be doing. My son has thrived in this environment. He loves learning as do all his peers. They are encouraged to follow their passion and interest or to see how far they can take a concept or idea. I've seen him so excited about how many decimal places he can go with a multiplication problem that required taping multiple pieces of paper together to keep it going or how he really loves researching topics that interest him. This type of school may not work with all children but I would encourage any parent to explore Montessori to see if it is the right fit for their child. Check out Arbor Montessori and you will find a wonderful school that has a great community of teachers, families, and faculty.

Arbor Montessori 2

Posted December 29, 2015
You'll never find a better Montessori for the early years, and a weaker one for the upper elementary years. This is mainly because of weak teachers in key rolls as mentioned in a few reviews quite consistently. You'll get the great personal attention and community feeling of a smaller school, but you'll also experience the nepotism and unprofessionalism that can sometimes go along with the small private school experience. Imagine having an upper elementary teacher who derided children (by name) during parent/teacher conferences (and not the children being talked about at conference: for example. so-and-so is "weird" or "distracting"). If as much attention had been paid to academics as to trivial social matters normal among adolescents, we'd still have our children in the school. However, a scrambling, defensive administration and an inexperienced teacher in a key role (and you're stuck with that teacher for three years in the Montessori model for ALL subjects), can be damaging. We are so glad now to be in a larger, more professional school where social issues are dealt with at an age-appropriate, professional level, and experienced teachers cover the academics!

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted December 16, 2015
There is no homework for students until the Adolescent Program. Homework has dubious value in the elementary years. Do you ask your employee to work for eight hours and then go home and work a few more? The Montessori environment provides opportunities for repetition and long term projects in the school day.

2998 Lavista Road, Decatur, GA  30033