No rating

Greenforest Mccalep Christian Academy

Private | PK-12

Living in Decatur

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $61,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $870.

Posted Tuesday, July 8, 2014

THE WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!!! BEWARE... THE WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!!! BEWARE... My son attended Green Forest Early Learning Center (their daycare) for exactly one week and that was enough for me!!! The administration (Director of ELC & Headmaster are very rude, unprofessional and insensitive). They will tell you whatever they need to tell you to get you to enroll and they will not deliver. Be sure to make sure you child is properly placed in the age and development appropriate class. They assign and move children based on class ratios not based on where your child is developmental wise. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS SCHOOL.

Posted March 7, 2014

The administrative leadership at Greenforest has declined significantly over the past couple of years, which has frustrated the school's ability to retain staff and students. The constant turnover of teachers, which frequently has occurred in the middle of the school year and without much notice to students and parents, has been unsettling to students and parents alike. While most of the teachers who remain are loyal and care greatly for the students, the teachers have inadequate resources and the school environment is very unstable. There is a lack of accountability at every level of the administration, and the school likely will continue to be in a state of decline unless changes are made at the top.

Posted February 13, 2014

Greenforest is a great school. IM a educator in Atlanta public schools and there's a clear difference in learning and how kids are being taught. For instance, in APS u have the common core curriculum which is fine but it only allows maybe only a few says for a.student to learn subject matter. At Greenforest they have the habikka curriculum which teach more of an old school approach to learning not just memorization. Furthermore, they have great teachers and an great Christian curriculum to help ur child mature. My son is in first grade and we love the.academics and all the program they offer. Oh let me not forget to mention smaller class sizes too.

Posted January 16, 2014

My son went to Greenforest for two and a half years. Prior to those years he attended our local high school where he experienced negative peer pressure, oversized classrooms and a situation where teachers could not attent to his academic needs as closely as he needed. I understood that this was beyond that school's control and they were doing the best they could. My son needed something different and Greenforest gave that to him. Teachers were were more closely involved because of smaller class sizes. Discipline problems were a minimum because of their code of ethics and morals. Students are held accountable for behavior and so are parents. My son's grades improved greatly. At his request, made the decision to allow my son to return to the local school for his senior year. He regrets it!! He misses the structure, attention, intimate class setting, the staff and his friends. He says he learned more at Greenforest. Choosing Greenforest was the best decision I made for my son's academic and social and spiritual growth. I wish he was still there.

Posted December 1, 2013

Greenforest and its terrible!!!! This is my first year there. Talk about bad first impression! The lunches are extremely unhealthy. They should just serve public school lunches. I find that some of the teachers couldn't care less about the students. There is no learning. We copy notes off the board and are told to study them. All we do all day is write definitions, write words 3 times each and talk talk talk. I love everyone personally, but teaching is NOT for everyone.

Posted July 22, 2013

Quality of school is thumbs down! I had a daughter that attended this school a few years back and i was greatly impressed. However, since my son has been enrolled over the course of 2 years i am sadly disappointed. Specifically the business staff is difficult to deal with and the registration fee and the increase in tuition is ridculous and the school does not justify the reason for the increase. Overall its just not worth it spending my hard earned money to a school that doesnt care about its parents and students. All they see is $$$ signs. I will say the curiculum is ok but nothing special that you cant get at another school in the same community thats more affordable and shows more appreciation.

Posted April 2, 2013

The ELC has been great for years, however I am greatly disappointed over the past 3 years.

Posted February 19, 2013

We now have 2 children in the early learning center and 1 in the academy- this is a wonderful place for any family. My children are soaring there.Very high academic standards-my 12 year old is in beta club & cheerleading,my 4 year old is taking piano lessons & blossoming and my 2 year old is completely potty trained and knows all her letters - we are blessed to be at green forest Saffie Muna Jeter

Posted May 18, 2012

I am very happy with Greenforest McCalep Christian Academy. I have two kids who have attended school since the ELC Building. I have been very blessed because I have always landed on teachers who were ceritfied teachers. My kids are both grounded A students, who are advanced for their ages. 6yrs going into 2nd grade and 7yrs going into 3rd grade. If they were to go into Public school, the work would be too easy. As a parent I work in the Public school system and I see how poorly their academics are and how the schools keep failing. Im glad a made the right choice to place my kids in private school where they stay ahead of the game.

Posted April 1, 2012

This is an awesome school enroll your child in the ELC and the Academy Today!

Posted January 4, 2012

My son has attended the ELC since he was 3 and he is now in the Academy. I had the total opposite experience with the ELC. AT times I felt the work was to advanced and aggressive for 3 and 4 year olds; however, it helped my son tremendously. I also enrolled my daughter in middle school and have not had any problems.

Posted December 9, 2011

I thought my son was attending a Christian early learning center, but instead it was glorified babysitting. The facilities are bright and pristine, but the quality of care is severely lacking. My son attended the ELC for almost two years (from age 1 to almost 3). During the time he was there, I saw no evidence of curriculum-based learning (although they advertise the A Beka curriculum), untrained and unprofessional staff who did not speak to the children with dignity and respect, non-nutritious snacks (there were several occasions where my son was given candy, bubble gum, and lollipops as snacks), and the overuse of TV. I had to wean my 18 month old son off Elmo after discovering he watched youtube clips all day in the 1-year-old classroom. At 2, he could recall TV characters and movies that he had never been allowed to watch at home. And to make matters worse, the director of the ELC comes across as aloof, disconnected, and unconcerned with what goes on in the school. I chose to remove my child from the ELC and place him elsewhere, and noticed a difference in him within 2 days: he was disinterested in TV and talked about the educational activities he did at his new school.

Posted August 29, 2011

Our child has been a student at this school in the ELC for 1 year. We have truly had a great experience. Wonderful staff & great parents. We highly recommend the school. Great instruction, Christian values & at home feeling. Our child loves to go to school Dr.& Mrs. Jeter

Posted June 20, 2011

I have had five children to attend Greenforest's ELC, elementary, and middle schools. I have been very pleased overall with the academic foundation that they've each received. That being said, in the 17+ years that my family's been associated with the school, I can count on my hand the number of teacher complaints/concerns that I've had (that's pretty darn good). If you are looking for a school with some great teachers and a great curriculum, and you are looking to play an active role in your child's education, Greenforest may be the place for you. I have read the other reviews and can't speak about the current challenges at the ELC. We haven't been there for six years.

Posted April 26, 2011

Greenforest-McCalep is an excellent school for all grade levels. The school offers great academics, self awareness, our to live a christian life as young as 2 years old. The school has a great band and music department, their Black History Program, Grandparents Day Program, etc. are always outstanding. There sport department also excel.

Posted March 31, 2011

This school now have the GACAPS implemented and the environment has changed completely over the past year. Parents pants are sagging as they enter and exit the buidling and so is the childs! I totally agree with the Parent who posted on March 3, 2011 and would like to add that I feel that this program was accepted because this is for sure money from the State of Georgia to Greenforest. I can't believe that Greenforest would accept such a program to increase $$$'s and many parents that has supported Greenforest for years are very disappointed. This is not what the late Rev. McCalep had in mind when he built this Early Learning Center!

Posted March 3, 2011

My children have attended Greenforest since they were one year old and next school year my oldest will be going up to the elementary school. Thank goodness for that because they dont accept public assisstance in the elementary school. Accepting public assisstance was the worst thing Greenforest could have done. The entire atmosphere has changed since this has happened. Parents now bring there kids to school wearing pajamas or clothes you can see through(the parents)and gold teeth. Once one of the parents scared me so that I reported him to tht office as an intruder! Not to sound stereotypical but I dont pay 1200$ a month for my kids to go to school with children who dont care about morals and education.

Posted February 22, 2011

My son attends this school and he has made some great friends. His teachers are down to earth and he actually has grown attached to them. I was surprised that just the other night, he knew all the words of our father's prayer and he loves to sing. He was pretty advanced before he got there, so I'm not sure how to rate them academically. The school is okay but unfortunately, he will NOT be returning because the director of the school is just rude.....she lacks any and all personal skills and it is time for her to RETIRE....period!! It's a shame because I would have loved for him to continue to go but I refuse to give any more of my money to a place that allows this type of woman to be in charge!!

Posted October 17, 2010

They have an excellent educational curriculum and teach respect for treating people with respect and religious guiding.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 12, 2010

My daughter has attended Greenforest from the time she was 2 years old, until the present. She is now in 1st grade, and she is more advanced than the higher grade level students I teach in public school. In addition, I love that she is being taught in a Christian environment, as this reinforces our religious beliefs.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Baptist
Associations
  • ACSI
  • SBACS

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3250 Rainbow Drive