No rating

The Waldorf School of Atlanta

Private | PK-8

Living in Decatur

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $267,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $810.

Posted September 28, 2013

Its hard to begin to list all the things we love about this school, but the most important one is how much my daughter loves going to school every day. She is excited and engaged and quite literally runs to greet her teacher every morning. She had a magical kindergarten experience and is now in "the grades". She is learning to love reading through really being immersed in stories, songs and letters that jump off the colorful chalkboard into her imagination and heart. She is learning art, handwork, Spanish, and care for our environment in addition to main lessons. As a parent with a master's degree in science, I love how subjects are taught by experiencing them and really delving deeper into a subject as opposed to some busywork handout or worksheet. I love how the teachers talk to the kids and don't yell. My child's class is diverse and we benefit from the school's strong sense of community. I love that she is learning so much without being stressed, overhomeworked, or subjected to filling in bubbles. We love this school and can't wait until our second child gets to join the school too. It's worth every penny of tuition.

Posted September 26, 2013

We are new this year to The Waldorf School. Our son is thriving and loving going to school each day. The education is hands on, and takes the whole child into account through art, music, physical activity, as well as reading, writing, and math. Expectations are high, and the children rise to meet them.

Posted September 21, 2013

In two months this school has changed our child and family in so many fabulous ways. Waldorf focuses on the fundamentals of living and every intelligent aspect that goes into this education. I've noticed that Waldorf kids of all ages talk comfortably with each other and adults; they feel respected. My 4 year old child wants to be useful, learn new things each day and make all kinds of friends. At Waldorf he has every opportunity to do this, and to own the experience - a real gift for any child.

Posted September 20, 2013

The Waldorf School of Atlanta has transformed my son into an articulate, intellectually curious, confident young person. The overwhelming attention that is paid to each child ensures that each child is nurtured and enabled to blossom at their own pace. The Rudolph Steiner philosophy of age-related development is accurate and helpful in navigating your child at home and in school. The Waldorf School teaches whole families how to live full out with their heads, heart and hands. I am so grateful to be a part of this unique and astounding community of progressive families who put childhood and family first.

Posted September 20, 2013

Parents looking for an exceptional education, a nurturing environment and eco-friendly philosophy and principles will find it all at Waldorf. A few highlights of the many 180-degree differences 1) Teachers stay with their children from 1st to 8th grade, which enables a strong, stable and influential relationship. 2) Children have firsthand experiences, vital to internalizing learning. You won't find fill-in-the-blank papers or textbooks; you will find children using their hands, hearts and minds in handwork, artwork, woodwork, making their own textbooks... and 3) Children get to move their bodies and have time outside to frequently connect with Nature - using their bodies in eurythmy, games and outdoor adventures. I have two sons, 2nd and 5th grades, and Waldorf is the best place for them. They were exposed to Waldorf for two months, and because of a move, I put them back into public education. My oldest, after an agonizing year, made impassioned pleas to return to Waldorf. "Waldorf understands children, the teachers know what we need and what makes us learn. They let us move and make things ourselves. I can't be who I am meant to be in public school." See the videos- S. McLeod

Posted September 18, 2013

The Waldorf School of Atlanta is a special place for students and parents alike. The community is strong and supportive, at times it feels like a family. And the curriculum is so unique that the parents want to go back to school! But what it does for the children is remarkable. Literally, parents of Waldorf kids get used to hearing awed remarks about our children from friends, family and other parents at the park. Our kids are smart, confident thinkers and considerate individuals. What a Great School!

Posted August 27, 2013

I have two children at the Waldorf School of Atlanta and I could not be any happier with the education they are receiving. They are challenged in every way and are expected give their best efforts each day, in terms of behavior, attitude, work ethic, honesty, integrity and quality of work. Thanks to their excellent teachers, they are happy, self confident and extremely capable children who are eager to go to school each day. All of the faculty and staff at this school are outstanding. Additionally, the parents from the school never ceases to amaze me with their generosity, kindness and dedication to family and community.

Posted August 13, 2013

we couldtnt ask for a more nuturing wonderful place for our daughters to grow and learn.

Posted August 13, 2013

We have been at the Waldorf School of Atlanta for 16 years with our two sons. Every school says it strives to promote well-rounded children. For us, WSA does this in a way no other school has (one of my sons attended two other private schools locally, and the other briefly attended a third, so I have something with which to compare). My children truly enjoy learning because facts and figures are not crammed down their throats--but they are indeed learning. They are enjoying being children, having time to play as well as time to study. They become well-rounded not only from academics but from careful emphasis on social inclusion as well as the arts--not to produce little artists but because of what art brings to us all, especially to developing minds. The community is tremendous, unlike any other school/parent community I have encountered. And if you would like your child to have less involvement in all the forms of media screaming at them 24 hours a day, WSA provides a safe place for that where your child will not feel like the odd one because he doesn't text at age six or watch TV and movies all the time, etc. A beautiful place to grow a child.

Posted August 11, 2013

You can't even compare this school to others in the area because the philosophy is so very different. They teach the child, not the test. They value childhood, not scores. They strive to see the greatness in each individual, not make the individual fit into a mold. The Waldorf School incorporates music, art, and nature into all of their teachings - every block is made whole by having all of these elements together. Instead of teaching children answers to the problems we've already solved, they teach the children how to learn - to be the ones who will answer questions this world has not yet answered. They teach creativity and problem solving. The children who come out of Waldorf are poised and comfortable in society. They have honest and intelligent conversations with people of all ages, and they look people in the eye. The community as a whole is strong - a diverse group of individuals who all contribute culturally. It's supportive and empathetic. I've never felt so accepted by a group of people who are all so very different than I. The volunteer efforts of Waldorf parents and families is astounding. This is no ordinary school. It's extraordinary!

Posted August 8, 2013

This school is wonderful, with a dedicated faculty, staff, and administration. Parent involvement is a must, and the school community is thriving and diverse. The Waldorf curriculum is *very* different, but also well-established and focused on fostering creativity, self-sufficiency, and global awareness in addition to promoting academic excellence.

Posted August 8, 2013

I never planned on private education for my children - in fact I am a supporter of equal education for all. But after attending a parent and toddler class here, I cannot imagine my children anywhere else. My child is now in 2nd grade and my family is fully embraced in this wonderful community of caring people who understand that education is far more than teaching to a state-mandated curriculum. It is about awakening a love for learning, love for others and good stewardship of the world around us. The school is very diverse and will work with you to allow as many people as possible to benefit from its alternative and wonderful philosophy.

Posted August 6, 2013

This school and philosophy is fantastic. All the kids really thrive there. Teachers are fully dedicated to your child. Your child will have the same teacher every year so each year they hit the ground running. The curriculum is quite different that traditional schools but is very academic. Kids learn nuts and bolts while developing creativity and innovation. They don't teach to test, they teach to live!

Posted August 6, 2013

WHat a great school! My daughter is in K, the other is Grade 3. I cannot say enough about the place. Not just for my kids, but Waldorf has had a profound effect on my familiy as well. This school is def. not your run of the mill typical private school, but the school takes on a different approach where it's all about: Chilld First. Ms.Keeney and Ms. Dilworth are true gems, the same is true of most of the staff from the specialty teachers to others as well. Words cannot di this place justice.

Posted August 6, 2013

Waldorf is a school for children that love to learn or need to learn how to love learning. This year will be my family's third year and we couldn't be happier with our decision to leave the public school grind. Waldorf provides an educational environment that my children have blossomed in. Everything that is done in this school is done because it produces learning and positive growth development. My children and I always know that what they are doing is worthwhile and has meaning for them personally and for their future. I love how all of the aspects of their day are woven into a cohesive curriculum with overlaps across subjects. The teachers are phenomenal and are there for the long term growth and education of the students. There are no quick fixes here, only well thought out strategies for success.

Posted August 6, 2013

Waldorf of Atlanta has been an absolutely great experience for our daughter for Kindergarten, looking forward to first grade. The emphasis on reducing media consumption has been very helpful, as well as the overall approach to learning.

Posted August 6, 2013

The Waldorf School of Atlanta prepared both of my children for a rigorous high school curriculum by allowing their academic education to unfold naturally balanced with art, music and plenty of physical activity in a loving and nurturing environment that honors the whole child. If I had more children, this is where I would send them!

Posted August 6, 2013

We transferred to the Waldorf School of Atlanta mid-school year in 2013 from Greene-Hill School in Brooklyn, NY. We have found it nothing short of miraculous! The philosophy of considering the whole child expands the reaches and depth of education. So happy to have my 3rd and 1st grade boys here, and feel embraced by a warm, welcoming community.

Posted August 6, 2013

I have two children at the Waldorf school of Atlanta. My older daughter Is going into 8th grade, she has been there since kindergarten. My younger daughter has been there since kinder and is going into grade three. We love Waldorf. There is really a great feeling of community and family throughout the school. The orchestra is amazing. The children are taught to be independent, free thinkers, to ask questions and how to find the answers. Great!

Posted August 6, 2013

I cannot speak highly enough about this school, its teachers and staff. I firmly believe The Waldorf School of Atlanta is the be all and end all when it comes to educating our children. It's a game changer for both the child and his/her family.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Gardening teacher(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Security personnel
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

• Spanish

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • AWSNA

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Waldorf

• Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Art room
  • Computer lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Poetry

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom