Decatur, GA

Posted April 18, 2014
Narvie J Harris is a wonderful school. My daughter is learning so much that will prepare her for the future. The staff is just amazing. My husband and I love the uniform policy and I am glad Narvie sticks with their policy. Overall, it is a wonderful learning environment and the parents are fully engaged in their child's education. There is so much support and I truly appreciate the principal, staff, and the parents for being so involved with their child and students.

Narvie Harris Elementary School 2

Posted November 12, 2013
Narvie, wow, wow, wow...I was so excited for my son to attend this school. I invested in this school on the front end ensuring my son had a great opportunity to be successful and the teachers had what they needed for the school year. We were off to a great start until my son ran into some behavioral issues. The school decided "we don't have to deal with this because we are a school of choice. So send him to his home school for services etc." No commitment or effort was put into the success of improving my son's behavior and or ensure we work together so he could be successful at Narvie. If they don't want to deal with you or your child believe me he/they will find some way to get you out. Our experience if you don't walk in the door with a 504 or IEP (they have to accommodate this by law) you best believe they will do no work to assist with the needs of your child. Then I was told when my pre-k student becomes more mature I can enter the lottery and he can be selected to come back. Their is no way I would ever put him back in this environment mature or not. So disappointed!!!!

Posted May 17, 2013
Awesome school. My daughter received her elementary education at this school beginning in her 2nd grade year. The curriculum was very challenging. I LOVED the mandatory uniforms as my daughter had been bullied at her 1st grade public school but was not again after wearing uniforms. The mandatory parent volunteer time was a blessing in disguise and jumpstarted my growing to love volunteering in school and showing that my children that I support their education 100%. The Georgia Policy Foundation website put it's most recent school rank report in 2010 that ranks GA schools based on CRCT scores. Out of 1219 schools, Narvie ranked at #360 for 3rd grade CRCT scores and # 391 for 5th gradeCRCT scores. It's definitely an awesome school to me. According to the Georgia Policy Foundation data, Narvie Ranks in the top 3rd of schools in the State of Georgia.

Narvie Harris Elementary School 4

Posted April 29, 2013
My daughter has been attending this school since Kindergarten she is now in 2nd grade. She has learned so much! The school has a great curriculum and it is very challenging which is a good thing. I didnt have a relationship with her K teacher i had more of a relationship with the paraprofessional. However the 1st and 2nd grade teacher were phenomenal. The only thing i dont like is the students at the school seem to pick on my child and sometimes the staff address it and sometimes they dont. In this day and age we need a bully free school zone and i sometimes dont feel comfortable sending her to school in fear of someone may pick on her. Listen, kids will be kids so If your child is able to defend themselves this would be a great choice if you have the chance to go there you will be very happy with their learning. But for my daughters personality this school is not the best fit.

Posted October 08, 2012
My two daughters and two sons went to Narvie J. Harris since kindergarten and it seemed like they enjoyed going there so I just let them finsh out school there.

Posted September 03, 2012
My daughter and nephew attend Narvie and they love it. Although my daughter has always been an eagar learner they motivate her to do more My nephew who is not so thrilled about school is thriving. I've had an instance where I felt my daughters teacher wasn't teaching enough and needless to say I find out he's no longer there (without any complaint from me). I just feel it's good to identify those who have lost their passion. They encourage and require parental involvement and offer several programs include after school.

Posted April 24, 2012
I absolutely love this school! My daughter attends this school and has learned so much in this past year. The school has many events throughout the year and it is very close knit and family oriented. If you stay active at the school and "show your face" up there on a regular basis you should have no problem. This school is for people who are actively involved in their children's education. The teachers are excellent and you can tell they really care. The staff members are excellent especially Ms. Rutledge. The principal, Dr. Tartt, is very dedicated and active during the school day as well as the events. The only people I'm not too fond of are the PTA staff , they are horrible and don't have a clue as to what they are doing. But then again they are replaceable! Anyway, great school, great teachers, great staff!

Narvie Harris Elementary School 3

Posted October 29, 2011
I have been a Narvie parent for 6 years, but after enrolling my 4th grader in Wadsworth Magnet for High Achievers, I decided enough was enough and to withdraw my younger child. When my child started at Narvie, Mrs. Creighton was the principal, and what a principal she was. Caring, understanding, a real beacon of light for the school and the community! However, for the past few years the parents of Narvie have been less than happy to endure the leadership of a newer younger, not so smoothed out administrator. This new principal, Dr. Tartt is obviously there as a merit to the nepotism we face in Dekalb (he is the son of the woman who started theme schools). He runs the school with arrogance, pessimism and gives a real cold shoulder to those who aren't part of the affluent cliques of Dekalb. I have seen him cut corners for some individuals and seen him try and belittle his own staff and parents! Very recently, he withheld a child from their parent because they didn't have a school hallpass; he instructed staff not to let the child go home with their mother. When the parent became emotional, he banned her from the campus. Great teachers; bad administration. Go Bouie theme if you can!

Posted June 18, 2011
If you want your son or daughter to receive a rigorous education that will allow he or she to be prepared for challenges, then Narvie J is the place. In addition, the school is committed to keeping parents involved in the school life of the kids which I love. I have to say that I do not have any positive to say about the front office staff but the teachers are caring, committed, and understanding. When a Principal replies to your email within 5 minutes and the reply is from his Blackberry, it says a lot about the school.

Posted September 26, 2010
Narvie J is one of the best elementary schools in South Dekalb County. My child has been there for 4 years and has excelled very well. The course work is challenging and the school is managed well by the principal and administration.

Narvie Harris Elementary School
3981 McGill Dr, Decatur, GA  30034
Last modified Narvie Harris Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Narvie Harris Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top