Mary Mcleod Bethune Middle School

Public | 6-8

Posted August 8, 2014

I agree with some of the other parents. This school isn't that horrible as some of the reviews say! The parents need to step up more often, like I do, & get a first hand look at what the teachers do! I commend them. Most of deeply invested in those kids. Mrs. Jackson in 6th grade is the best. My child had her and she makes them think. She's not easy, but you're child will learn. I alsi liked Mr. Stephenson too. I believe the school can have a great turn around but the staff nor DeKalb county can do it by their self. They need the community. So to the bashers and haters I would ask, "what have YOU DONE to make it better"! Thus is our neighborhood school.

Posted August 8, 2014

I believe Bethune is a good school with GREAT teachers. They have some issues with behavior of a small minority of the school's population, but that is not far off from many of the other schools in other districts.All schools have issues of some sort. I believe it would be better if the parents would be more supportive & visible. I feel in love with a few of the teachers there. Ms. Jackson in the 6th grade is REMARKABLE to say the least. I mean, she loves what she does, supports the students in any way she can & I know my son loves Math now because of her. Give this school a chance, be informed & involved and watch your kids blossom!

Posted April 24, 2014

there are good teachers like mr stephenson 8th grade maths teacher.If all the teacher try to do like this,chage will come.he is very nice teacher.he constantly communicating with parents and send their assigments to thier parents to give attention and follow up.my child was a best student but attracted by other students even not to answer a single question in the class.

Posted December 24, 2013

This school is sooo horrible! Shame on Dekalb County School System for allowing the principal, counselors, teachers to exist as "professionals". They are no where near that title. My son was there two months and the offenses and encounters he experienced in two months was unbelievable! I pulled him out immediately it didn't take a rocket scientists to figure out this school is not fit for children. The teachers don't care at all they attitudes are poor and lack authority! The children run over all adults and it's SAD! I felt like a scene from the movie "Lean on me" when I entered that school. I however could not wait for it to turn around and get better. Any parent in there right mind shouldn't! Get your child out of that mess no form of education is taking place at all!!! Dekalb Country Schools should really investigate this middle school closely. Majority of the students are being set up for failure due to the failure in leadership they have over them. I asked an entire team of teachers why isn't homework given that often. They all said it's not computed that high on their grading scale and the children want to it anyway! Mindset of failures! The band teacher need to go!

Posted December 24, 2013

Posted October 31, 2013

My son attend(ed) Mary McLeod Bethune Middle School, this school is horrible. I have experienced nothing but problems, from the teachers non-caring attitudes, to one of the Assistant Principal yelling and belittling the students. And the Principal supports her CoWorkers less then professional behavior. When trying to call the school, it is VERY hard to speak with someone (when they chose to answer the phone). I tried leaving messages no one reply. When going up to the school, everyone soooo busy." I must make a appointment.". I believe this public school should be evaluated by Dekalb County School Board. I believe the lack of parent involvement is due to the teachers lack of involvement. And I would NEVER suggest this school to anyone who cares about their child education. I will/have removed my son from this environment and I will be home schooling.

Posted August 22, 2013

As a parent I like the school. This is my son's last year here we have had some good teachers.

Posted April 22, 2013

I am a teacher at Bethune and this school is horrible. I feel like I am in a movie. The teachers genuinely care, but no amount of teacher effort can combat students' behavior and values. Instructing a lesson is nearly impossible. Most students have no respect for adults or education. They talk, yell, curse during the entire lesson, no matter the consequences. When I send student s to the office they are sent back to my classroom. Students have no fear because they are not held accountable for their behavior. I have witnessed countless fights in my classroom and aggressive behavior from students toward myself. The only thing students seem to respond to (minimally) is screaming. This management style that does not set a positive example, but I now understand, after gaining a better sense of many students home environment, why it works . If your child is bright and values education in any way- do not send them here. The students with extreme behavior problems control the classroom and I feel very badly for those students who have potential and do care, as they, sadly, suffer due to their classmates. I truly feel that any option has to be better than Bethune.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 1, 2013

This school is the definition of terrible. From the teachers, to the staff in the office, and even the way the classrooms and hallways look do not set a positive learning example. I attend BMS, and to be honest, they treat us like prisoners! They expect, and basically tell us, that we'll never be anything but minorities. Most barely pay attention to what we're doing, and could care less. If you can help it, DO NOT send your child here.

Posted August 7, 2011

This school is full of energetic faculty and staff who truly believe in the children.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 1, 2009

not sure this is my sons first year and he's been failing since school started. I didnt receive the sec free tuorturing book, in which i asked about a month ago. Im looking for help for my son as far as help goes with his school work, or he will be attending atlanta public school system, they have more to offer!!!

Posted November 6, 2008

Bethune middle school is one of the worse schools you could ever send your child to in dekalb county. It has done nothing but destroy my perfect record. I have been nothing but an all A student and my record looks terrible because i was jumped and no teacher's were around in the beginning of this conflict and Bethune's adminstrative staff did not complete the investigation properly. There was nothing but lies told and the principal took the adminstrators side without doing any investigation of his own to get to the bottom of this situtation. So, if you care about your child's safety, record, or grades don't send your child to Mary Mcleod Bethune Middle School on Covington Hwy in Decatur, GA.

Posted September 22, 2008

As a fomer bethune middle school student i would say that bethine is not such a bad school, but its certintly not perfect either. I am now a junior in high school. One of the things i would say was a problem while i was there was the constant lockdowns. Lockdown meaning that when the cetrin (6th 7th or 8th) class would be disruptive to the other members in the school, the whole 'team' would have to stay in there classes and have their work sent to them by their teachers. I guess this would cause less drama and what not. Overall it it a pretty good school.

Posted July 23, 2008

Good principal, Dr. McMullen. Average on academics as some teachers are light on homework and in-class assignments. There were also some good teachers that my sons had.

Posted January 1, 2008

i lllooooovvvvveeeeee bethune. and im really learning a lot. not good with after school activities though.

Posted July 23, 2007

As behalf of the class of 07 at Bethune Middle School, I wanna say that Bethune is really not a bad school. The teachers really care about our education is just that the students arent really willing to learn. So I would say that its the students decision to change the ways of their behavior towards the education stages. The teachers try their best to teach the children who are willing to learn and for those students who really dont care about their education, the teachers still try to teach them, its just not that their doing their job but they also care about the children. As Dr. Terry McMullen being our principal for the last 2 years I was there, the school learning have been better.

Posted January 12, 2007

Despite the negative reviews about Bethune, this is still a good school. As a former student I know what the school is all about, success. When Mrs. Mafico was there, she ran the school, had control, and always continued to put education first. So I would have to say that I was proud to be a Bethune lion!

Posted June 29, 2005

Bethune is not as bad as some of the parents are making it seem. The problem isn't the teachers so much as it is the students. The academic problems are a result of the teaching staff having to deal with the problems that the children are causing whether it is dealing with fighting or any other social issues dealing with the children. When I attended Bethune last year, the teaching staff was okay it could definetly be better, but for the most part going to Bethune was a good experience.

Posted June 16, 2005

This school is horrible! Don't send your child to this school, unless neccessary. They are way behind in work. I no longer want my child in this type of enviorment, that is why we are moving. So, think about your child's future and well being before sending them to Bethune.

Posted January 12, 2005

I think salem middle school would be a school for your child and from my childs point of view it is the crunkest school and the school has good recreational things to do and has an undeatable team.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 92% in 2013.

292 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

293 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 96% in 2013.

292 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

299 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 93% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 95% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 85% in 2013.

308 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

307 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

273 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

274 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 97% in 2013.

270 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

284 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

282 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 82% in 2012.

319 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

• Drawing / sketching
Music
  • Choir / Chorus
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5200 Covington Hwy