Posted August 08, 2014
I agree with some of the other parents. This school isn't that horrible as some of the reviews say! The parents need to step up more often, like I do, & get a first hand look at what the teachers do! I commend them. Most of deeply invested in those kids. Mrs. Jackson in 6th grade is the best. My child had her and she makes them think. She's not easy, but you're child will learn. I alsi liked Mr. Stephenson too. I believe the school can have a great turn around but the staff nor DeKalb county can do it by their self. They need the community. So to the bashers and haters I would ask, "what have YOU DONE to make it better"! Thus is our neighborhood school.

Posted August 08, 2014
I believe Bethune is a good school with GREAT teachers. They have some issues with behavior of a small minority of the school's population, but that is not far off from many of the other schools in other districts.All schools have issues of some sort. I believe it would be better if the parents would be more supportive & visible. I feel in love with a few of the teachers there. Ms. Jackson in the 6th grade is REMARKABLE to say the least. I mean, she loves what she does, supports the students in any way she can & I know my son loves Math now because of her. Give this school a chance, be informed & involved and watch your kids blossom!

Mary Mcleod Bethune Middle School 2

Posted April 24, 2014
there are good teachers like mr stephenson 8th grade maths teacher.If all the teacher try to do like this,chage will come.he is very nice teacher.he constantly communicating with parents and send their assigments to thier parents to give attention and follow up.my child was a best student but attracted by other students even not to answer a single question in the class.

Posted December 24, 2013
This school is sooo horrible! Shame on Dekalb County School System for allowing the principal, counselors, teachers to exist as "professionals". They are no where near that title. My son was there two months and the offenses and encounters he experienced in two months was unbelievable! I pulled him out immediately it didn't take a rocket scientists to figure out this school is not fit for children. The teachers don't care at all they attitudes are poor and lack authority! The children run over all adults and it's SAD! I felt like a scene from the movie "Lean on me" when I entered that school. I however could not wait for it to turn around and get better. Any parent in there right mind shouldn't! Get your child out of that mess no form of education is taking place at all!!! Dekalb Country Schools should really investigate this middle school closely. Majority of the students are being set up for failure due to the failure in leadership they have over them. I asked an entire team of teachers why isn't homework given that often. They all said it's not computed that high on their grading scale and the children want to it anyway! Mindset of failures! The band teacher need to go!

Posted December 24, 2013

Posted October 31, 2013
My son attend(ed) Mary McLeod Bethune Middle School, this school is horrible. I have experienced nothing but problems, from the teachers non-caring attitudes, to one of the Assistant Principal yelling and belittling the students. And the Principal supports her CoWorkers less then professional behavior. When trying to call the school, it is VERY hard to speak with someone (when they chose to answer the phone). I tried leaving messages no one reply. When going up to the school, everyone soooo busy." I must make a appointment.". I believe this public school should be evaluated by Dekalb County School Board. I believe the lack of parent involvement is due to the teachers lack of involvement. And I would NEVER suggest this school to anyone who cares about their child education. I will/have removed my son from this environment and I will be home schooling.
2 people found this helpful

Posted August 22, 2013
As a parent I like the school. This is my son's last year here we have had some good teachers.

Posted April 22, 2013
I am a teacher at Bethune and this school is horrible. I feel like I am in a movie. The teachers genuinely care, but no amount of teacher effort can combat students' behavior and values. Instructing a lesson is nearly impossible. Most students have no respect for adults or education. They talk, yell, curse during the entire lesson, no matter the consequences. When I send student s to the office they are sent back to my classroom. Students have no fear because they are not held accountable for their behavior. I have witnessed countless fights in my classroom and aggressive behavior from students toward myself. The only thing students seem to respond to (minimally) is screaming. This management style that does not set a positive example, but I now understand, after gaining a better sense of many students home environment, why it works . If your child is bright and values education in any way- do not send them here. The students with extreme behavior problems control the classroom and I feel very badly for those students who have potential and do care, as they, sadly, suffer due to their classmates. I truly feel that any option has to be better than Bethune.

Mary Mcleod Bethune Middle School 2

Posted March 01, 2013
This school is the definition of terrible. From the teachers, to the staff in the office, and even the way the classrooms and hallways look do not set a positive learning example. I attend BMS, and to be honest, they treat us like prisoners! They expect, and basically tell us, that we'll never be anything but minorities. Most barely pay attention to what we're doing, and could care less. If you can help it, DO NOT send your child here.

Mary Mcleod Bethune Middle School 5

Posted August 07, 2011
This school is full of energetic faculty and staff who truly believe in the children.

Mary Mcleod Bethune Middle School
5200 Covington Hwy, Decatur, GA  30035
Last modified Mary Mcleod Bethune Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mary Mcleod Bethune Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top