Public charter
Decatur, GA

Posted July 29, 2013
We have two children at this school and have been very happy with the teachers, the level of parent involvement and the special programs (art, Spanish 4x week etc.) Our youngest is in the gifted program, and he is appropriately challenged and loves going to school every day.

Oakhurst Elementary School 2

Posted February 27, 2013
We moved to this school district as we had heard such phenomenal things about Oakhurst. The community is awesome, but we have found the communication within the school to be very poor. And the principal can be a bit difficult to work with. They love it if your child is right down the middle as far as intellect, but if your child has some special needs or is above average intelligence, it seems like they have a hard time dealing with that. Parents really need to ask for what they need. For instance, we were not aware that our child needed to be bringing a library book home nightly to take AR tests weekly. We were only having him read nightly at home and this went on for months. Personally, politics within the school have really caused a lot of stress for us as parents.

Posted January 11, 2013
My child was doing 30-minute presentations in first grade. I was skeptical until I saw it in action (twice)! He learned to research, to read his audience, to tell facts, to give an opinion and back it up, to use visual aids, to field questions--all with a supportive teacher. And this experience IS typical. Utterly amazes me what kids can learn in a good school these days.

Posted April 21, 2012
Oakhurst is creative and energetic. The teachers are dedicated, enthusiastic, and involved, and there is a wonderfully supportive parent community.

Posted December 08, 2011
This school should be a model for all others! The teachers are incredible, the teaching styles incorporated are outstanding, the parental involvement is beyond measure, the principal is enthusiastic and wonderful, even the maintenance and lunch staff are great. My kindergartener daughter came home after school one day and asked me to make her MATH PROBLEMS to solve. *That* is a great school!

Posted December 07, 2011
We came from Brookwood Elementary in Gwinnett County Georgia and we are so very impressed by the quality of education that our 2nd grader is receiving. We were initially skeptical about Oakhurst Elementary, but it is such an awesome school. It has a great principal and office staff and it has great teachers...and last but not least...the community involvement is unbelievable.

Oakhurst Elementary School 0

Posted April 21, 2010
The teachers are fantastic, the curriculum is amazing. This school has managed to keep Spanish, Art, Music and PE as a part of the school day - despite amazing budget cuts.

Posted April 08, 2010
My daughter went to school here and we loved it! The teachers are the best and the principle is extremely supportive. remember they used to take walking field trips to the Oakhurst Community Garden and the nearby creek. Can't find a better school!

Oakhurst Elementary School 0

Posted August 02, 2009
My son is a rising 2nd grader and we have been thrilled with his experience at Oakhurst!

Oakhurst Elementary School 4

Posted August 15, 2008
I love the school and their curriclum system. The tearchers are fabulous. I love the atmospere, the only thing I have had a problem with was the principle. She has not been the easiest person for me to get along with and my kids have been going to this school for well over 4 years and my opinion of this principle haven't changed. Overall the school system is great!!!!!!!!

Oakhurst Elementary School
175 Mead Rd, Decatur, GA  30030
Last modified Oakhurst Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades K-3. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Oakhurst Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top