Posted March 24, 2014
I have been highly impressed with the quality of education that my son has received in his fifth grade class. Homework has been a little rigorous but that has paid off substantially in an increase in his skillset beyond what we could have expected. It is a safe and high achieving environment and I am quite pleased.

Fifth Avenue Elementary School 1

Posted March 22, 2014
Our child's teacher failed to meet her needs both years, bullying is tolerated, parents are not invited, and the principal is AWOL.

Posted April 19, 2012
I have interned at this school and if and when i have a child I would send them to fifth avenue with my eyes closed. Very very good

Posted January 16, 2010
as a substitute teacher in many schools in the area I have found Glennwood Academy to be one of the very best in fostering futher education and caring for each student. .

Fifth Avenue Elementary School 4

Posted September 16, 2009
It is school that honors diversity.

Posted May 06, 2009
Very happy with Glennwood Academy...challenging curriculum, interesting and fun extracurriculars, good communication, motivated PTO. Two thumbs up re: Dr. Lee as well.

Posted January 12, 2009
I was skeptical at first of the concept of a 2 yr upper elementary school. Felt like a big transition for young kids. But my son is in 4th grade this year and I have been won over. The principal, Dr. Lee, is excellent and sets the right tone. The parent involvement is superb - just as in the lower elementary schools. We love my son's teacher - very warm & positive, while setting high expectations. The IB curriculum seems very interesting - certainly helps the kids develop a broader sense of the world they live in. The music program offers chorus, band, and even a fledgling strings program. Lots of other extracurricular activities to choose from, including a strong chess club. The biggest drawback - no gym and the auditorium is too small. However, I feel my son is getting a good education and life experience at Glennwood.

Posted January 11, 2009
I overall am ipressed with the education that my child is receiving. I pulled her out of a horrible school and moved to the City Of Decatur school district so that she could get a great education. Someone said it best they said that it is like a private school education without sending your child to one. If I had one complaint it is that the black students feel that they are not treated equally. It is not obvious but in things here and there. My daughter loves her school, they have a loop system (your 4th grade teacher is your 5th grade teacher) but if she had another teacher it would have been perfect.

Posted June 04, 2008
Glennwood is an excellent school. My child just finished her 4th grade year and had a wonderful experience. She made many new friends and excelled in all subjects. The staff is nurturing and holds high expectations for all students, and the principal is one of the best in the state. The Friday afternoon Clubs are a fantastic outlet for students to participate in things that interest them. Next year the average class size will be approx. 23, and yes, we will have 3 trailers at the school for 5th graders. My daughter is dying to be in a trailer, so I hope she gets one. (We've been spoiled in Decatur for too long in not having trailers - just ask any parent in other neighboring districts who have had multiple trailers for decades!) It's a sign that more and more families are choosing Decatur to raise their children.

Posted April 11, 2008
We have been very happy at Glenwood and have had no issues at all with the principal. She has been nothing but helpful, kind and reasonable in the 5 years that we have been involved with her. I have two gifted children who have attended Glennwood and both thrived there and were interested and engaged. My child has 20 children in his class so I am not sure where the 24-26 number comes from. IB is a great program and Glennwood is implementing it well. True, it is getting more crowded and less diverse but the school system is completing a demographic study that will guide them on how and where to expand.

Fifth Avenue Elementary School
440 E Ponce De Leon Ave, Decatur, GA  30030
Last modified Fifth Avenue Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades 4-5
Fifth Avenue Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top