Bad
Good

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

So far so good, for the most part. We've been very happy with the core teachers (English, Humanities, Math, Science).

Amount of homework: Agree

I am not a proponent of homework, so I appreciate the amounts given which is usually less than an hour per night. Kids are busy with extracurriculars after school and just need some down time!!

Develops character: Strongly agree

We are new to the school, but based on the relationship my daughter has with her teachers, it seems they are very open to communication, accountability and give students the opportunity to take ownership of their learning; a true collaboration of efforts!

This is our first year at Renfroe Middle School, after being at a private school for 10 years...and we are so happy we made the decision to enroll our child! We have been so impressed with the level of commitment from the teachers (Ms. McRae, Ms. Ratliff, Mr. Taube, Ms. Harvey, Coach Coleman--all AWESOME!!), as well as the caliber of students my child has gotten to know--smart, well-rounded, and kind friends!! Equally as impressed with the curriculum.

I transferred from Drew Charter School to Renfroe though I had been in CSD for my whole life. I want to say that Renfroe is a fantastic school, with caring teachers and nice people. The only problem is that it is VERY crowded. Fantastic school.

My son is an eighth grader at Renfroe and he feels that most of his teachers offer a challenging environment that is interesting and engaging. Mr. Thomas puts the students first and creates fun events for the students. The teachers are accessible and give quick feedback about my son's progress. Renfroe is a safe and secure environment to learn where students can flourish. I feel as though he has had a private education throughout his academics since pre-K at City Schools of Decatur.

Renfroe Middle School is one of the best schools in decatur, with caring teachers and a principal that really cares about the kids.

I have had two children attend Renfroe. This school has had challenges in the past with administration. (see the older dated reviews). However, this school is currently doing many things right. I observe a principal who engages students, demonstrates good values, is a visionary and a good role model (and he happens to be black). I observe staff and teachers that know kids by name, actively encourage (and admonish), challenge and believe in their students. One teacher in particular impressed me, Mr. Robinson. My daughter started the year in fear of him, but loved, respected and even made him a gift by the end of the year. She had learned a great deal from him about history, human dignity and hard work. At graduation, several students gave testimonies to his challenging them, taking time to support them outside of class and believing in them. This school is not perfect, but it is a special place. If i had another child, I would sent them here.

By far the best Middle school in Dekalb county !!! I LOVE DECATUR CITY SCHOOLS!!!

I've substituted for teachers in the City Schools of Decatur system for three years. Regular teaching jobs at all CSD schools are highly competitive because (1) teachers certified at the "highly qualified" level teachers WANT to come to Decatur (2) parents accept no less. Renfroe recently won a School of Excellence (Statewide) award and its parents, students, and teachers are committed to teamwork. As somewhat of an outsider, I get the impression that shifts in administration; pressure from federal and state mandates; and the relatively high level of parent body education can sometimes squeeze teachers to the point that they're sweating bullets and, sadly, their creativity, flexibility, and teaching style are compromised. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to send my son to Renfroe or to teach here full-time.

Last modified Renfroe Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.