Bad
Good

As a parent of 1 child here and another one who went here, I have found that the teachers are very warm and caring for the students. We moved into the Winnona park neighborhood specifically to have our children go to this school and are very pleased we did. My only concern is that the Decatur city schools enrollment is growing so fast that the class sizes are getting to the point where expansion is necessary. Obviously the word is out that this is a great nurturing school.

My kids came from a private school, and the education is as good or better than they received there. The school asks for a lot of parental involvement, and that participation helps to build a strong community spirit and sense of participation. The kids have a lot of projects that they are expected to take charge of and complete themselves, but very little busy work. They are active and engaged in their own education.

My children attended Winnona Park Elementary and went on to great success in high school and college. They attended the prestigious Duke TIP program and scored high on their SATs. I attribute much of it to their early education at Winnona Park. Teachers are, bar none, the best there are.

I have two children at this school, both receiving special education and I have been very pleased with the services they have received. Principal really listens to parents and teachers go above and beyond. True group of smart professionals. They should be paid more!

We have had two boys at Winnona Park. From the principal on down the school is run very well. The teachers LOVE being at this school. It says something to me when there are over 300 applications for 1 job. I consider living in Decatur, and having sent my boys to WP as a great honor, and am so happy that we sent our boys to Winnona Park.

As a current homeowner in Winnona Park, I highly recommend the school. We have 2 children in the school right now and have been very pleased with our children's development, the strength of the teaching and the high level of involvement from parents. We feel very fortunate to have our children at WPES.

I agree. As a former Winnona Park homeowner ,2003-2008, mother of three, and currently a middle school teacher in Dekalb County, I can wholeheartedly Not Recommend Winnona, Glenwood, or Renfroe due to my children's experiences while attending those schools. There is a vast divide between reality and the perception of the City of Decatur School System. After two frustrating years of numerous cases of incompetence, I moved my children to Fernbank. They excelled at Fernbank and are now enjoying Druid Hills. The Public Relations Team in Decatur City does a exceptional job in promoting their lackluster schools.

The receptionist, contrary to the positive messages posted on the wall behind her, was unhelpful and uncommunicative. Spoke briefly with the principal. I came away with no impression of him. I have since sent an e-mail to the principal, called twice and have gotten no response. We were thinking of moving into this school district. We are not so sure now.

I love their community spirit and their commitment to incorporating growing and cooking fresh, healthy food into the core curriculum.

It is a wonderful school with a diverse body of high-achieving students and excellent staff!

Last modified Winnona Park Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-3