Public charter
Decatur, GA

Decatur High School 2

Posted November 18, 2014
This school is a cage that only looks for grades and numbers. We are not seen as people but GPAs. No one really knows who you are, the school does not care what you're good at or how you learn. Sure it is an IB school and it is better than most in the area and most schools might be like this I do not know (if so there is something seriously wrong with the american school system), but that doesn't excuse how useless info is shoved down our throats only to be spit up on a test. Some teachers are nice, some are not, but most do not care of you're dealing with mild depression or extream anxiety; if you're not paying attention, you are obviously don't care about school and you're just lazy (I was using sarcasm). It doesn't matter to the school if you're amazing at gardening and aspire to be a great herbalist. It doesn't matter if you don't know how to pay taxes or manage a bank account. The only thing that does matter is that I can find the area of a triangle. We are told our personal ambitions do not matter and our physical and mental health come second to our school work. Stress, insomnia, anxiety, depression, and even suicidal thoughts and actions plauge the students of this school.
2 people found this helpful

Posted December 12, 2013
Decatur City Schools have been a huge blessing for my two children, both of whom have attended since kindergarten, and are now 16 and 21. My older child got a scholarship to one of the top 3 art schools in the country after her extraordinary experience with her art teacher. She brought the most dedicated students to Florence, Italy one year, to study the Renaissance. My son is a Sophomore, and has finally earned a spot in AP classes--so he's getting a college-level education. The staff and administrators, as well as the teachers and counselor, the students and the parents, are part of my family. I moved into the district in 1997 because I was a starving newspaper reporter with two young children, and my fellow reporters told me it was the best public school system in the state. They were right. This is what schools and communities are supposed to be about--helping you raise your children. I was very blessed to discover Decatur--before it was the coolest foodie hipster music spot in the South! :)

Posted August 10, 2013
Decatur High School has been an excellent school for my three children, one still attending and two excelling at top universities. We have found the leadership to be proactively seeking excellence, personally affirming of our children and making improvements when problems arise. We have found the English, Social Studies, and Communications teachers to be outstanding. My kids visit these teachers when they are home from college. I also appreciate the culture of general acceptance of all students regardless of ethnicity, social-economic class and gender. This is not a perfect school but a very good school with good staff actively moving in the right direction. Congratulations to leadership and staff. Keep up the good work.

Posted July 25, 2013
Being a new student at the school, I can say my first year was wonderful. I recently moved to Decatur in the beginning of October and went to Decatur High School for the duration of the school year, the staff did a very good job of making me feel welcome and helping me if i was confused by anything. The IB curriculum is very interesting and I prefer it to the traditional teaching I was used to. I was put into a few classes that didn't seem to challenge me to the extent I had been in advanced classes at my previous school. The teachers are all very friendly and understanding, they were very eager to motivate their students and each had a unique way of teaching efficiently. So far I haven't had any trouble with anyone/anything. My only concern is going into this upcoming school year, my schedule was sent to me and I am very displeased with it, I am taking AP chemistry and was limited on elective classes and even so I wasn't put into any of the classes I signed up for and instead they have been replaced with PE classes that I am not fond of whatsoever. I will try to resolve my issues with my schedule, but even so this school has impressed me and I wouldn't want to go anywhere else -JP

Posted February 27, 2013
As a nationally ranked school, DHS is by far one of the best Charter schools in all of GA. With challenging academic program, an extremely active community and dedicated students, this school provides all of the essential tools for every student to exceed no matter what social status, ethnicity, or sex.

Posted October 19, 2012
This school is hghly ranked nationally and is situated in a very high performing school district. The superintendent, Dr. Edwards, has worked very hard to transform a struggling system of school with shrinking enrollment into a school system that is attracting more and more students every year. The school board works together well and has a strong focuse on the success of all students. If one pays close attention to all the changes that have made CSD and DHS strong you will find strong leadership at all levels.

Posted September 27, 2012
Decatur High School is great! I graduated from the best private school in Atlanta, and the southeast, and it was very hard to think of my daughters having anything less than the best for their own education. However, I am finding that I could not be any more pleased if I was paying $20,000 a year per child. The IB curriculum is challenging and a refreshingly different approach. I anticipate my daughters graduating with an excellent foundation and with plenty of good options to continue their educations.

Decatur High School 4

Posted October 19, 2011
My son is in the tenth grade at Decatur High and has attended City of Decatur schools since Pre-k. I have been pleased with everything Decatur has to offer from academics to extra-curricular. I feel my son is being prepared for a successful transition from high school to college. The AP courses are so beneficial. A public school but as close to a private school environment without the costs.

Decatur High School 3

Posted October 02, 2011
Decatur has a good school system, active community involvement, strong financial support and a well intentioned focus on college preparation for high achieving students. Attempting to offer a great education for every student, the school forgot that every student is not the same. One path is currently offered for graduation. AP courses are the only alternative to that path. My struggling child was offered only more of the same for core classes (which left him without time for electives).

Decatur High School 4

Posted December 19, 2010
DHS is a great school. My oldest came to DHS her 10th grade year and was very far behind coming out of an APS HS. With the awesome support she received, she was able to catch up to her peers and was on the honor roll for her junior/senior years. There is tremendous support for students who are behind or get behind. The teachers communicate very well and most are there before and after school for additional help if needed. I am so glad I moved to this school district. My 2nd child is a senior now and is progressing very well and we expect her to go to Emory after graduation.

Decatur High School
310 N McDonough St, Decatur, GA  30030
Last modified Decatur High School is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Decatur High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top